Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

What is the best Mid Range DSLR Camera for your money?

last reply
33 replies
4.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
After taking in a few photography exhibitions lately, and seeing the amazing results photographers using DSLR cameras come up with, I'm interested in picking up a DSLR. Most of the photos in those exhibitions, were taken using either a Canon EOS of some variety, or Nikons.

I'm starting to want something more than a point and shoot (although you can get some reasonable results using an iPhone 5 or above these days - see below).

Which models do you recommend and why?

I am interested in something under £600 (< US$900), which comes with a good lens. Features aren't all that important, the body and lens is.

This looks a really good camera for the money - cheaper on eBay.co.uk, but I'd rather get one from a store so I can take it back if there are any issues: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras/digital-cameras/dslr-cameras/canon-eos-700d-dslr-camera-with-18-55-mm-telephoto-zoom-lens-extra-battery-lens-cloth-21324790-pdt.html#cat-0

Recommendations?

These were taken using my iPhone 5S:

Candy Connoisseur
0 likes
Ok, so its been many years since I have looked into camera gear not having to make any new purchases myself, so when it comes to what is the best at the moment, I'm not sure what the answer is to that. The model you have linked is the old Rebel line or 300-600D (or wherever they stopped the numerical order). They are entry level DSLR's, but if you are really looking to get serious, I would not waste money on something entry level that you may grow out of. Most these days have umpteen mega-pixels (its all a marketing wank if you ask me), and the ability to record HD video. Again, its a camera, not a device to shoot video. At least you are aware that the important thing too remember is its the lens that makes the quality of the image, then its the photographers ability to frame it. To be honest, I would not be looking at anything new. Those smaller cameras are not very robust, whilst they might be in your price range. Im not a Canon fan, although, their L series lenses are very good, and very expensive. I would look at a Nikon, and just so you know, I dont own one of those either. I would look at a used D200 or D300. They are more prosumer and once you hold one and feel the built quality, you will not be looking at any of the entry levels. Then you just need a lens, and this is where Nikon has it over Canon. Canon's standard lenses are rubbish. I just did some photos for work and used a workmates Canon and I could not get good photos, in any light. I had to use my own, and I have compared other scenes taken with standard Canon lenses and they just dont measure up which is why Canon make the L series so good, and so freaking expensive.

See if you can stretch the budget a little further. Find a good used body in good condition, even have it serviced, and then launch into a good 24-70mm lens even if it is made by Tamron or Sigma. I would lean towards the Sigma, something with built in VR and focus. Just as an example, this is a steal.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nikon-D200-with-battery-grip-/251949205255?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3aa957c707

Look around, do some research. Figure out what you are going to be using it for, and crunch the numbers. Good luck.
Lurker
0 likes
I would look on Amazon and look at the reviews. There are probably suggestions of what to get or what to avoid.

Best of luck, Nicola.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am a Canon girl. I went with that brand because all their old lens still fit all their new cameras and I liked the camera better too. I like to think of that security if I ever upgraded my camera. A couple of other brands have changes their connective base on the cameras so none of the older lens will fit. It is a feature Canon prides itself on.
Matriarch
0 likes
Thank you for the feedback. Some really good advice there SS.

In anything other than brilliant sunshine, it's hard to take decent photos on a device meant for making telephone calls.

Here were a few attempts today (in 6000 year old woodland):

I was trying to mess around with the focus, but it went a little wrong:

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The EOS line are decent, if you aren't going into professional photography, it will be all you need...well, and a couple lenses. I would definitely buy new, from a retailer to get the warranty. Used lenses would be ok though.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'd strongly recommend something from the Nikon range. I've had my D80 for years now and I love it. I've had three Canon compacts but find their DSLRs too fiddly in my hands. The grip on it feels far too small but that might make it perfect for people with smaller hands.

Buying the body and lens separately will probably prove better in the long run. Most Nikon's come with an 18-55mm lens which you'll soon find limiting. I have an 18-130mm lens on mine which has proven to a great all-rounder for me. You don't want to be swapping lenses on a DSLR because getting dust off your sensor is a pain in the arse. The slightly larger all glass lens can make it a bit weighty to carry around all day so that's another thing you might want to consider.

Go somewhere you can pick them up and play with them. Canon or Nikon - if it feels right, it probably is right.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Matriarch
0 likes
Thank you for the feedback. Some really good advice there SS and OMKN.

In anything other than brilliant sunshine, it's hard to take decent photos on a device meant for making telephone calls (funny that!).

Here were a few attempts today (in 6000 year old woodland):

I was trying to mess around with the focus, but it went a little wrong:

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If you haven't used a dslr before, or very little, this site might be helpful also...just add www. to the front, it wont let me add the full link
canonoutsideofauto.ca/
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have a Sony A57 and its a nice camera
Candy Connoisseur
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow
I've had my D80 for years.

Actually, I forgot about this line. The D40 up to the D90 were all great cameras. For me though, I love the addition of the LCD on the top of the body were all the settings are displayed rather than using viewfinder, I'd feel naked without mine, and no one wants that. Great suggestion and I am sure you could pick one up and feel like you stole it.
Candy Connoisseur
0 likes
Quote by nicola
It looks like my budget restricts me to entry level cameras: http://www.cnet.com/uk/topics/cameras/best-digital-cameras/dslr-for-beginners/

It might be better buying a second hand mid-range one instead, although you don't get any guarantees it isn't faulty.

Have it serviced. Get a shutter count and the overall condition will be your guide as to how its been treated. Your lens is going to be your investment, the bodies might come and go.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola
It looks like my budget restricts me to entry level cameras: http://www.cnet.com/uk/topics/cameras/best-digital-cameras/dslr-for-beginners/

It might be better buying a second hand mid-range one instead, although you don't get any guarantees it isn't faulty.

Most of the Nikons on that list don't have an AF motor built in - they rely on one in the lens if you want that function. (You want that function)

This looks pretty good... Link
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Candy Connoisseur
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

Most of the Nikons on that list don't have an AF motor built in - they rely on one in the lens if you want that function. (You want that function)

This looks pretty good... Link

She better hurry up. I might buy it myself..That is one hell of a deal..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola
A kind soul sent me this link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D5300-Digital-18-55mm-Compact/dp/B00I3M6BVY/

I'm leaning towards a Nikon, although you seem to get a lot of camera for your money with Canons too.

To be fair, they've both led the market from day one.

What sort of zoom are you looking for? That lens will give you the equivalent of 3x zoom, which for most photography is fine but if you already have a compact with 20x or more optical zoom you might find 3x a bit limiting especially if you want to get into wildlife or sports photography, or you fancy becoming a paparazzo

Sergeant Turnip
0 likes
Quote by nicola
A kind soul sent me this link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D5300-Digital-18-55mm-Compact/dp/B00I3M6BVY/

I'm leaning towards a Nikon, although you seem to get a lot of camera for your money with Canons too.

Hi. I have a Nikon D5100 and I absolutely love it. I am still very much a newbie when it comes to photography, but I did a lot of research before I got this one. I did purchase an extra zoom lens (55-300) with mine and that gives me everything I need. I highly recommend it.
Lurker
0 likes
I use a Nikon D5200. It's one of their less expensive units, but I bought a few quality lenses to go with it and am very happy with the results. I think all DSLRs have a fully automatic mode.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
If you don't mind I'd like to chime in in favor of the Nikon as well. Recently purchased a D3200. It doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the two other ( D5100 or the D5200 ), but it has the same resolution. About 24 mega-pixels. That's approaching a good 35mm resolution at about 200 ASA.

The reason I bought it instead of the other units is a lot of people don't use all the features anyway. And if you have to change the settings it's difficult in bright sun light if you have to use the menu. Most of the operating mode changes can be done externally on the Nikon using the dial on top.

The pricing of the camera helped too. Nikon now has D3300 and D5300 out now and you can get the D3200 and D5200 for a pretty good price. Some deals with 2 lenses and a camera bag.

I still wish I had a little more control. Like I had on my older 35MM SLR, but I most go with the times.

Whatever you choose, there are bargains to be had if you don't mind looking and being patient......

Good Luck

Note - This picture was over 6000X4000 - it's 640x425 here

"Them ain't no militia, that's the Army of the Potomac!"
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Always good to invest Nikon. Quality and features wise.
I could show you INCREDIBLE things...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am a Nikon fan, and own a D5300. For $900 there are a number of Canon, or Nikon that you can buy.
Matriarch
0 likes
How pretty are these little flowers on a garden wall?

I'm still on my iPhone for now (saving up!):

Constant Gardener
0 likes
I think you should invest in a top shelf GoPro, Nic. Get a vest to wear that will mount the camera, or a ball cap or biking helmet.

Pictures are nice, but video is where it's at, babe. Shoot vids of your friends & family (especially family). Those little cameras take some fantastic stills, too.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
How pretty are these little flowers on a garden wall?

I'm still on my iPhone for now (saving up!):

Those are very colorful and pretty

Thanks for sharing, Nicola!

I love pink.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The reviews and forums here are an excellent source for research. There are sample galleries with all the cameras reviewed, and reviews for many of the older models above are still online and allow you to compare how the technology and performance of various models have changed from one generation to another. At this point I'm pretty much a convert to the Fuji X series, but then I don't shoot a lot nature/landscapes, but shoot in low light a lot.

You might also want to look at micro 4/3 cameras. Panasonic and Olympus have some excellent cameras in this category.

http://www.dpreview.com/?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu
Matriarch
0 likes
Thanks Mr. Lee, I'll take a look.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Thanks Mr. Lee, I'll take a look.

I hope it's helpful. The reviews can get pretty technical, but you can just jump to the conclusion page and get the overall comments which can be more straight forward in a practical sense. Then once you choose a camera you can start shopping for accessories! smile

You can also check here for some good ideas in regard to setting the camera up once you have it in hand. http://www.kenrockwell.com/
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Frank_Lee
The reviews and forums here are an excellent source for research. There are sample galleries with all the cameras reviewed, and reviews for many of the older models above are still online and allow you to compare how the technology and performance of various models have changed from one generation to another. At this point I'm pretty much a convert to the Fuji X series, but then I don't shoot a lot nature/landscapes, but shoot in low light a lot.

You might also want to look at micro 4/3 cameras. Panasonic and Olympus have some excellent cameras in this category.

http://www.dpreview.com/?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

Mirrorless does seem to be where the next big things are going to come from. For me they are an obvious step forward with the technology but you still can't stop people wanting to have an SLR to look like a "proper" photographer. That said, who's going to argue with someone carrying one of those gorgeous Leicas?