E-book vs posting on Lush

last reply
9 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm working on a new story and while I would like to publish it as an e-book, should I post it in some form here as well? For example publish just the first part here as an early draft written in second person, vs third person that will be for the e-book with more character development (and obviously the rest of the story).
Lurker
0 likes
A note on publishing: If you go the route of self-publishing at Amazon and decide to enroll your book in Kindle Unlimited (KU / Kindle Select- it's all the same thing, now) then you are NOT allowed to make more than 10% of your story available for mass download anywhere other than Amazon.

You can A) make the entire thing available in print, B) publish 10% or less (like the first chapter as a teaser - or excerpts) - but that's it.

This is why a lot of my stories aren't on Lush. So choose wisely smile I tend to juggle what's on Lush and what's not - switching it up.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Also...if you decide to make an excerpt available online (which is a good way to bring attention to your book), it would be much better to just put out an excerpt of the finished product rather than an earlier draft. If a reader sees your online excerpt, and then goes to check out your book and finds it to be noticeably different, even with a change in pov, etc, it's a misleading way of introducing them to your story. You can risk disappointing them out of the gate.

Good luck, and do please get in touch if you're thinking of submitting something to LP. We're always looking.

Speaking of which...why haven't you submitted anything, Metilda?
Nerdzilla
0 likes
Quote by Frank_Lee

Speaking of which...why haven't you submitted anything, Metilda?

lol oooooh..
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Has anyone tried selling an e-book of a collection of erotic stories on Amazon self-publishing, or through Lush Publishing? What was the result? Any suggestions?
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
A writer friend of mine asked me why was I writing for that. She was referring to Lush.
This is how I responded...

Lush Stories announced it's "Historical Erotica" Story Competition to launch the new Erotic Historical Story Category. First place wins $150, second place wins $100 and third place wins $50. Keep in mind, the last competition on Lush won someone $250 and over 6,000 readers in less than 20 days (that's before it actually won the competition and was advertised by a support group of over 280,000 members). An honorable mention gave a piece of mine over 8,000 readers. Let's see, the "general self-pub'd" E-book published is free or around $1.99. At least for a lot of people I know. And, it may be an excellent read. And admittedly, you are good. You are also a new writer. Your audience depends on how the wind is blowing unless you are really good at promoting yourself. I've won $250 for one poem and a short story. I also had over 68,000 readers between the two. My promotion was limited at best. I just said please read me. Now that's just for two really small pieces of work. I have more stories there with readers of those. I'm probably okay at best, most likely not as good as you. I've had people leave me messages asking me how can they find my books--and I haven't even finished the manuscript for my first erotic romance book. How much money did you make on your ebook? It was $2.99, but now it's free. How many readers did you get? Just saying. I may have a warped view of ebooks, my knowledge is limited at best. Just saying.

I don't respond well to self entitled arrogance.

So yeah, I'd advise publishing here on Lush and it be a true representation of how you write--not a draft.
Then if it's working and there is enough of it to actually be a "book", go for it. I'd love to have a Lush book. *Clears throat*
? A True Story ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl
A writer friend of mine asked me why was I writing for that. She was referring to Lush.
This is how I responded...

Lush Stories announced it's "Historical Erotica" Story Competition to launch the new Erotic Historical Story Category. First place wins $150, second place wins $100 and third place wins $50. Keep in mind, the last competition on Lush won someone $250 and over 6,000 readers in less than 20 days (that's before it actually won the competition and was advertised by a support group of over 280,000 members). An honorable mention gave a piece of mine over 8,000 readers. Let's see, the "general self-pub'd" E-book published is free or around $1.99. At least for a lot of people I know. And, it may be an excellent read. And admittedly, you are good. You are also a new writer. Your audience depends on how the wind is blowing unless you are really good at promoting yourself. I've won $250 for one poem and a short story. I also had over 68,000 readers between the two. My promotion was limited at best. I just said please read me. Now that's just for two really small pieces of work. I have more stories there with readers of those. I'm probably okay at best, most likely not as good as you. I've had people leave me messages asking me how can they find my books--and I haven't even finished the manuscript for my first erotic romance book. How much money did you make on your ebook? It was $2.99, but now it's free. How many readers did you get? Just saying. I may have a warped view of ebooks, my knowledge is limited at best. Just saying.

I don't respond well to self entitled arrogance.

So yeah, I'd advise publishing here on Lush and it be a true representation of how you write--not a draft.
Then if it's working and there is enough of it to actually be a "book", go for it. I'd love to have a Lush book. *Clears throat*

How interesting. LP would love to have an ABG ebook to publish.
Lurker
0 likes
I left Lush for a while, so I published most of my poems as a Kindle ebook on Amazon under the title Late Coming Love so as to ensure them some sort of immortality, although no one will probably buy it.

Late Coming Love by William Humphries