Waist training

last reply
20 replies
2.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes

It's meant to visibly streamline your midriff area and has become quite the fad! Celebs like Kim Kardashian, Amber Rose, Blac Chyna, etc. are hooked on it.

Was wondering if any of you Lushies have given waist-training a go? If not, how does the idea appeal to you?

I personally haven't tried this, but can see the appeal of honing an hourglass figure. Have a friend who did waist-training at a freakishly young age; the results seem to be permanent, and are quite remarkable!
Chuckanator
0 likes
Quote by shrpsf

It's meant to visibly streamline your midriff area and has become quite the fad! Celebs like Kim Kardashian, Amber Rose, Blac Chyna, etc. are hooked on it.

Was wondering if any of you Lushies have given waist-training a go? If not, how does the idea appeal to you?

I personally haven't tried this, but can see the appeal of honing an hourglass figure. Have a friend who did waist-training at a freakishly young age; the results seem to be permanent, and are quite remarkable!

Sorry. It doesn't appeal to me. Fitness is good but that does not look healthy.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
That's freaky. ...and that's coming from a former anorexic! My waist is fine at 23"
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Oh my heavens!!! Are we back in the 19th century????? Horrors!!!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I've heard about this. It can range from giving more subtle waist-definition all the way up to serious fetish level (which is scary).

I don't mind the (moderate) corset look on occasion, but I'm not a major fan of the style. And certainly wearing something like this 24/7 with slow tightening over time definitely doesn't appeal. In a way, I feel like this is kind of cheating exercise and fitness by creating an illusion and slowly forcing your ribcage into submission.

Even at a lower basic level with proper corset tightening (not just wearing it for fashion), there has to be an element of fetish involved because of the pain and breathing impairment and I guess it may serve as a 'diet aid' because I imagine it would require proper portion control as well.

I just think it does way more damage with long-term use than is worth it - organs shifting, ribs compressed etc.

If someone wants to wear it as a fashion statement or to try to create that short-term illusion (like a more extreme bodyshaper garment), then whatever works, right? Having said that, I'm definitely staying away from this trend - it's not for me.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by ChuckEPoo

Sorry. It doesn't appeal to me. Fitness is good but that does not look healthy.

Yeah, I like the the fit, strong look myself. But I suppose there are different ideals of beauty out there, and a super tapered waist ala Dita von Teese is just one of many.

As an aside, this technique is not actually something new. A lot of women, post-pregnancy, use waist-training corsets as a support for stretched muscles, providing them with a measure of physical comfort; it probably helps them regain their pre-baby bodies as well (the gorgeous Jessica Alba swears by it!) Overweight people sometimes use it for medical purposes, ie. to aid mobility - allows them to execute movements akin to touching their toes. The same goes for people with conditions like back spasms, etc. To these guys, a waist-training corset alleviates their conditions, and the slimming effect is really just a bonus.

There are downsides to this practice though; it can cause skin bruising and compress organs like your kidney, spleen, etc. Probably makes waist-training for aesthetic purposes look dangerous, but these cases only occur when people put on that corset for an excessive amount of time. Also, it seems like you have to couple exercise with the training corsets for the best results because the latter alone doesn't burn up fat, and more exercise can only be a good thing! That's what Khloe Kardashian did, to these results:

Disclaimer: Not an advocate of waist training, I'm just intrigued by its correct use for (am not gonna lie) aesthetic reasons. I've seen results on a friend in person, and it's just blown me away.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I don't like it at all... NOT SEXY! The curve shape is too drastic, not natural looking at all. A major turn off!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hate it. I like a curvy, but natural looking woman.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Good Lord. Please, no. More impossible ideals for young girls to try to live up to.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
I've heard about this. It can range from giving more subtle waist-definition all the way up to serious fetish level (which is scary).

I don't mind the (moderate) corset look on occasion, but I'm not a major fan of the style. And certainly wearing something like this 24/7 with slow tightening over time definitely doesn't appeal. In a way, I feel like this is kind of cheating exercise and fitness by creating an illusion and slowly forcing your ribcage into submission.

Even at a lower basic level with proper corset tightening (not just wearing it for fashion), there has to be an element of fetish involved because of the pain and breathing impairment and I guess it may serve as a 'diet aid' because I imagine it would require proper portion control as well.

I just think it does way more damage with long-term use than is worth it - organs shifting, ribs compressed etc.

If someone wants to wear it as a fashion statement or to try to create that short-term illusion (like a more extreme bodyshaper garment), then whatever works, right? Having said that, I'm definitely staying away from this trend - it's not for me.

This.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
It really isn't attractive to me, not the mention all the potential health concerns that may arise from it. I'm not quite into that whole 'bootylicious' look in the first place (ie. Kim Kardashian), plus this just adds a freakish element to it. To me, it actually looks quite desperate... and sad.

It seems like many women misinterpret what men seek in a female body. Men love breasts that have a certain volume, but that doesn't mean that women need an enormous pair of 36DDs to entice them; as long as there's some volume to them, most men will be plenty satisfied. Same thing with the waist-to-hip ratio; women naturally have wider hips, they really don't need to indulge in all sorts of crazy treatments to entice men. If you were to ask me personally, I'd say that only a very thin minority of women are naturally disadvantaged regarding their breasts/hips, probably lower than 5%.

These girls have relatively narrow hips (some of the narrowest I could find actually), and all of them are still sexy as fuck to me:

So yeah, any woman can have an attractive waist-to-hip ratio as long as she maintains an acceptable level of fitness; losing fat around your waist and toning your ass a little will lead to much better results than wearing a corset. In fact, if you engage into fitness you'll have 90% of the work accomplished in terms of having a sexy body.

The same thing is true for men actually: men naturally have a V-shaped torso, they really don't need to do much more than maintaining a fit body to display a shape that the majority of women will find attractive. The guy on the left is moderately fit and still has a decent V-shape; there's really no need to become a steroid-monster and reach a freakish appearance like the guy on the right:

Bigger isn't always better, may that be for hips, boobs or muscles...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I had a very bad back injury as a child (age 7). I was in chiropractic therapy weekly for about two months, then monthly for a few years. When I was 12, I got a steel-boned cincher like the ones pictured, which I would wear to school on "bad back days". From my experience, wearing a cincher causes your body to not distribute excess fat to that area... it's been well over three years since I've worn one now, and while my chest, thigh and buttock measurements increase or decrease drastically if I gain or lose weight, my waist stays the same. No, that's definitely not genetics, because every other female in my family gains weight right in the stomach area.

I like the idea of waist-training... although I don't think it's healthy to wear a corset all the time. If a corset is worn literally 24/7 for years, this could affect core strength. Also going too narrow can't be good for the internal organs.
Lurker
0 likes
Erm, what's a waist? Lol I haven't seen mine for years! ..... Seriously though if that's what you want to do? Do it? But for me I love the skin I'm in, wobbly bits and all! I don't like trying to be something that society, the media, deems "looking good" if your happy and healthy, be confident with your body no matter what shape or size, having a small waist doesn't define the person you are, these celebs are all mental! Lol if you can train your waist? Can you train your boobs? Or how about your bum?
Stay as you are ladies , your all perfect the way are xxx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have to agree that it just doesn't look right. I mean I would love to have an hourglass figure but not to that extreme! I wear one occasionally for the look but not for hours and never to the extent that I can't breath or eat.

And I also agree with Serene that the extreme muscle up top look like the guy in the pic looks freaky!

And I've read several article on the waist training and it's absolutely horrible for your health. Just don't do it! Your organs will thank you.
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
i LOVE that va va voom look, but i'm NOT going through that hell lol

Say. Her. Name.

Lurker
0 likes
I don't find such an unnatural hourglass figure attractive at all. They look like they'd break in two in a stiff breeze!

I'm all for health and fitness and whatnot... but I'm a strong believer in hard work to earn the rewards

How can one lounge around and eat doughnuts whilst wearing such a thing!?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
When I was fitter I had a natural hour glass figure. I would wear corsets when I went night clubbing, however no I never waist trained. Wearing a corset the boning molds to the form.
Lurker
0 likes
I love corsets and corsetry. I used to make them all the time out of chainmaille for clients and wore a few maille ones myself (as seen in my profile pics somewhere)
Lurker
0 likes
You mean something like this would be uncomfortable? Sexy as hell.

Lurker
0 likes
yes.. i have .. .. giggles ... just like this..

but u still flop back ...