How do I attract a female audience?

last reply
48 replies
4.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It's odd - I have what I think of as a more feminine hand when it comes to writing erotica. However, I don't seem to find much in the way of a female audience. I am very happy for the audience I have and grateful the opportunity to share and have my work critiqued and enjoyed. Yes, I've read the statistics that women tend to like women writers, but is there something I might do to attract a female audience?
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Hi Tristan! I've just glanced briefly at your stories, and you write very well, but with a decidedly masculine hand, which is only my impression of course!! I like reading work by male and female authors on here, but can usually tell which gender is writing, and am only occasionally surprised and get that wrong!!

A giveaway for some male authors (again, only a personal impression) is the way women are described, and looking at your description of the two female characters at the start of Three Times the Fire, in terms of their body shapes is fairly typical. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that I hasten to add!! and you would rightly argue that some female authors do this too, so it can be a subtle difference.

This is such an interesting topic, so I was wondering as to why you would like to attract a wider female audience?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i find that adding kittens into your story will sometimes do the trick -

"Jake started at her huge DDD tits, surprised to see a kitten nestled inbetween them."

i should charge for this shit. seriously.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Sprite has a point there. Listen. I think they are subliminally in everything she does. It's like witchcraft. And, she has devoted followers.

There is a part of me that feels like you begin to lose some of what makes you legitimately different as a writer when you begin to cater to a specific group with that being your only intent. It becomes a bit superficial and apparent. But, we do all want to be read and expand our audience as well. I know I do. The key is to find the balance. I'm interested in seeing if anyone comes up with that in this thread.

I think that female readers want the same thing all readers want, good writing. I've only read one of your stories, "Taste". So, I'm generalizing here. There are the stereotypical assumptions, men like action/women like emotion. That whole show me don't tell me thing works in any case. Emotional involvement, the why of it, is always interesting. For example, saying that your character had a flashback and it gave her a "wave of excitement" in your short story was an excellent opportunity to have the reader 'touch' her--get intimate with her by insight into the why or the how that is specific to that character. What physical response does a "wave of excitement" feel and look like to a woman like that. That type of commitment to that character commits the reader before the actual action. It is necessary in erotica I feel. It is the difference between presenting a scene (which most people do) and telling a story (which is going to make what you write stand out).

There are only so many ways to get fucked, but the why and the way it feels is going to make the difference. Same thing applies to the male characters. Everyone in a story can't be well rounded, nor should be, but the reader's connection to the character can even carry a poor story line and definitely saves a predictable one. I think that is more natural to most women writers. But when a man does it from his view point and gives insight into the supposedly male psyche, females fall all over that. I think male writers have the advantage there, if they take advantage of it. Generally, they just get caught up in the physicality of it.

On a lighter note, strong female characters that have a little more going for them than their boob size (that reads like a bra fitting) and pussy's ability to squirt tends to appeal to women as well. 'Just saying in general.

PS There is some male reader cringing right now because he likes you just the way you are.
? A True Story ?
Lurker
0 likes
Well, I can tell you what NOT to do...

When I started here I was BLAKE BLACKWAND, and, in an effort to drum up female readers I dyed my snowy white penis with shoe polish and sent pictures of it to every woman on site... But after my three year suspension... (And two hours with a blistered dick in Casualty...)

I write as HONESTLY as I can. Since, as JACKSON said, we're all writing about the same ACT, (more or less...) then I need to PUT A SPIN on that... The way I do it, is FIRST to imagine a SCENARIO, then inhabit it with CHARACTERS, and then USUALLY explain why it's going to be FUCKING difficult for these characters to play out the proposed scene...

Then I write how they plausibly do.

I'm not a BIG FAN of the idea that WOMEN are all into the emotion of it and GUYS just like the ride. (Some of my best women writer friends here write MUCH more hardcore than I could...)

However...

Here's how a TYPICAL newbie male writer starts a piece:

'Tifanny tossed her long blonde hair over her shoulders as, large full tits thrust to the ceiling, she rubbed her bald pussy as she gazed sultrily at Dirk..."

(Boring!)

Try this:

"Dirk could tell there was something wrong. Oh, Tiff was tossing her hair, her perfect tits pointed skyward as she rubbed herself but... There was a distance in her gaze as she looked at him, like she was... Somewhere Else... "Do me now," she said.

"Not yet," he whispered. "What's wrong?"

She blinked, puzzled. Disconcerted. "Nothing... FUCK ME NOW, DIRK! Your cock is up, fuck your kitten..."

"No," he replied. "Not until you tell me what's wrong... Talk to me, Tiffie... Come here... Talk, Baby Girl..."

See, THAT's a situation... Miss Tiff is GOING to get herself fucked, BUT, it's not going to be as easy as we thought. Why?

She might be pregnant, but how can she tell him?

She might have taken a lover and feels guilty. OH GOD!, WHAT IF SHE'S PREGNANT BY HER LOVER???)

She might have discovered messages on his phone to her friend Staci.

She might be having Staci herself in secret.

She might... (You get the picture...)

THAT'S HOW YOU ATTRACT FEMALE READERS.

xx SF
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

She blinked, puzzled. Disconcerted. "Nothing... FUCK ME NOW, DIRK! Your cock is up, fuck your kitten..."

I rest my case.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

She might be pregnant, but how can she tell him?

She might have taken a lover and feels guilty. OH GOD!, WHAT IF SHE'S PREGNANT BY HER LOVER???)

She might have discovered messages on his phone to her friend Staci.

She might be having Staci herself in secret.

She might... (You get the picture...)

THAT'S HOW YOU ATTRACT FEMALE READERS.

xx SF

Well...don't leave me in suspense. What the fuck was up with Tiffany?!

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

I rest my case.

I TRY to keep you OUT of them but you crawl around rubbing on my legs as I type... Ruining my concentration...

xx SF

Spits:"YOU??? CONCENTRATION??? BWAHA HAHA HAHAHAHA!"

Me: "I FUCKING hate you."
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dani

Well...don't leave me in suspense. What the fuck was up with Tiffany?!

No Further Questions...

Your Honour, THAT concludes the prosecution's case.

xx SF

DANIPOPPY?

(If you REALLY want to know... I'll tell you.)
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

No Further Questions...

Your Honour, THAT concludes the prosecution's case.

xx SF

DANIPOPPY?

(If you REALLY want to know... I'll tell you.)

Actually, I do.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dani

Actually, I do.

i think she's preggers with Staci's love child. i've also been drinking for a good portion of the morning. and i'm half naked... wait, 2/3s naked, technically...

0 likes
I agree with all the statements on here! Great advice...not an expert as I write poems, but I think you might need a bit more exposure.

More forum posts more of a filled out bio.

I read stories from people's posts on here. I see a comment, go to their page and scroll through

But I always read the bio first.

You certainly have a name that is straight off a romance novel..which right away made me think...females

Again am only giving my thoughts on how I read stories

Now who doesn't love kittens lol
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dani

Actually, I do.

I wrote it. It's submitted.

Do your job, Bitch.

xx SF
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

I wrote it. It's submitted.

Do your job, Bitch.

xx SF

I'm not a fucking story mod.

That's someone else's job, bitch.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dani

I'm not a fucking story mod.

That's someone else's job, bitch.

I PM'D you the unedited version YOU FUCKING CUTE BITCH!!!

LAUGHING ALOUD

xx SF
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by stephanie
I PM'D you the unedited version YOU FUCKING CUTE BITCH!!!

LAUGHING ALOUD

xx SF

This is a prime example of how to attract a female audience:

• Make it seem as though you are female by giving yourself a female name
• Use capital letters and exclamation marks, A LOT!!!
• Call girls bitches.
• Send girls unsolicited PMs about your stories.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by clum

• Call girls bitches.

you left out:

post lots of cock pix on your profile

and

always open with the line 'what are you wearing?' when you black box them.

Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by sprite
you left out:

and

So, you didn't like the cock pix? Hold on, I'll send another one from a slightly different angle - you'll LOVE it!!!

Also, you never did tell me what you're wearing, so I'm gonna assume nothing. You got ?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by clum

• Call girls bitches.

And be JEALOUS.

(It's up FIVE MINUTES and has THREE FIVES...)

Live and learn, SCOTTIE DAWG!!!

xx SF

( I NEVER publicise my stories through PM... Not Once... NOT EVER...)
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by stephanie
And be JEALOUS.

I was too busy counting how many more EPs than you I have to be jealous.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

you left out:

and

*LAUGHS OUT LOUD!!!*

(I always just say, "TALK TO ME...")

They do...

(But I AM very old...)

xx SF

I have EYES on my profile... (My cock is bigger...)

Clum: "And Green..."

Me: "Skirt wearing fucking HEATHEN!"
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
This has gotten a little off track. here's my advice for writers. write like yourself and FOR yourself. don't try to write for an audience, don't try to write like someone whose work you admire. write what comes naturally. sure, take chances, experiment with styles, etc, but always be true to yourself - the longer i do this, the more i realize that, if i am not telling a story that i enjoy no one else is going to enjoy it either.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by clum

I was too busy counting how many more EPs than you I have to be jealous.

oh, you really want to get in a pissing match about EPs, do you? bring it, Scotty.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite
This has gotten a little off track. here's my advice for writers. write like yourself and FOR yourself. don't try to write for an audience, don't try to write like someone whose work you admire. write what comes naturally. sure, take chances, experiment with styles, etc, but always be true to yourself - the longer i do this, the more i realize that, if i am not telling a story that i enjoy no one else is going to enjoy it either.

The Boss makes a point...

Dani Mod asked what happened with my ILLUSTRATION so I WROTE IT...

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/zero-visability.aspx

THAT'S a story that women will like... (It Just Is...)

xx SF

I'm SERIOUS... PM me if you want me to explain why.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

The Boss makes a point...

Dani Mod asked what happened with my ILLUSTRATION so I WROTE IT...

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/zero-visability.aspx

THAT'S a story that women will like... (It Just Is...)

xx SF

sometimes, i wish i could write like steph - the humor shines through, the joy, but i can't, so i enjoy reading his stories and just get on about writing mine. smile

Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by sprite
oh, you really want to get in a pissing match about EPs, do you? bring it, Scotty.

No, your majesty... *shuffles off*

Seriously though, in response to the question:

It's, quite simply, gender stereotyping to say that women will like a certain type of story and men another, or that women will be more likely to read an author's work because of reason X, so I'm not going to say that.

Whatever you write, as long as it appeals to you, it will appeal to someone else, be they men or women. I'm quite happy if my cat gives my writing more than a passing glance.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by clum

No, your majesty... *shuffles off*

Seriously though, in response to the question:

It's, quite simply, gender stereotyping to say that women will like a certain type of story and men another, or that women will be more likely to read an author's work because of reason X, so I'm not going to say that.

Whatever you write, as long as it appeals to you, it will appeal to someone else, be they men or women. I'm quite happy if my cat gives my writing more than a passing glance.

All joking and nonsense aside, CALUM calls it...

You write THE CHARACTERS you let into your head, YOU WRITE what THEY MAKE you write...

(Who the fuck knows where it ends up...)

BUT...

To Return To The Original Question...

Here's a story I can sell to a male:

"My girlfriend POLLY said, "Oh Hun, can you keep my Pretty Big Tit MOM Francine company while I go buy Ice-Cream for desert...?"

Yeah...

(But to WRITE that would bore me...)

But if she said, "Oh Hun, can you keep my Pretty Big Tit MOM Francine company while I go buy Ice-Cream for desert...? But SHE LIKES YOU SO DON'T FUCK HER!!" WHAT?" "You heard me! Don't fuck My Mom..."

THEN I have a story.

("cos NOW I'm gonna do it still, but it's gonna cause problems...)

xx SF
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by curvygalore

This is such an interesting topic, so I was wondering as to why you would like to attract a wider female audience?

Two fold, I suppose:I want to attract a female audience because I flat out adore women and it matters to me personally whether what I write connects. As a writer seeking readers, it behooves me to seek to attract at least part of the other half of the human population on this precious (and endangered) little sphere.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite
i find that adding kittens into your story will sometimes do the trick -

"Jake started at her huge DDD tits, surprised to see a kitten nestled inbetween them."

i should charge for this shit. seriously.

You really could charge for this shit! LMAO
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Damn straight and amazing advice!