Elimination of Flash, Java, and Silverlight

last reply
1 reply
0 watchers
0 likes
Senior Analyst
0 likes
Gav,

I use Chrome for my preferred browser. Google has recently announced that Chrome will no longer support so-called "NPAPI" plugins by default, and after January 1, 2016, Chrome won't support them at all. Adobe Flash (the plugin version), Oracle Java, and Microsoft Silverlight are all NPAPI plugins, so Chrome users won't have them available any more. (NPAPI plugins were introduced with the old Netscape browser back in the 1990s, and they're buggy and inherently insecure.)

There seem to be a couple of places where the Lush site depends on one or another of these. Playing videos, for example, isn't possible for me since I uninstalled Flash, Java, and Silverlight, but I don't know if that's actual Lush code or something from the video player.

In any case, the question is: are you (Lush) going to eliminate the dependencies on NPAPI plugins that may exist on the site?

Thanks --

Porgy
The Linebacker
0 likes
That's not good since several US government as well as various state government websites we are required to use at work use Adobe Flash and Oracle Java.