0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Hi,

Could you please assist with the following:

1. He pulled her onto his tool.

2. He pulled her on to his tool.

Which would be the correct way to write this?

Thank you.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
He respectfully asked if she would like to sit on his tool and didn't pressure her or slip roofies into her drink.

both are correct.

if I'm wrong, I am sure I'll hear about it. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Rule 1: In general, use onto as one word to mean “on top of,” “to a position on,” “upon.”

Examples:
He climbed onto the roof.
Let’s step onto the dance floor.

Rule 2: Use onto when you mean “fully aware of,” “informed about.”

Examples:
I’m onto your scheme.
We canceled Julia’s surprise party when we realized she was onto our plan.

Rule 3: Use on to, two words, when on is part of the verb.

Examples:
We canceled Julia’s surprise party when we realized she caught on to our plan. (caught on is a verb phrase)
I’m going to log on to the computer. (log on is a verb phrase)
Clumeleon
0 likes
A function f from X to Y is said to be 'onto' if for every y in Y there exists x in X such that f(x)=y, that is, Y is the image of X under f, or f(X)=Y.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by clum
A function f from X to Y is said to be 'onto' if for every y in Y there exists x in X such that f(x)=y, that is, Y is the image of X under f, or f(X)=Y.

Three statisticians go out hunting together. After a while they spot a solitary rabbit. The first statistician takes aim and overshoots. The second aims and undershoots. The third shouts out "We got him!"

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
He got onto me and i closed my eyes. Then he got on to what he had in mind all day.
Lurker
0 likes
The preposition "onto", as one word, is acceptable if we are referring to something "to the position of", or, "on the surface of".

Examples:

"He fell onto the floor."

"His mouth latched onto her nipple."

However, if we want our preposition "onto" to mean "onwards and towards", we write it as two separate words.

Examples:

"Let's move on to the next question."

"I hope to go on to university once I leave school."

That's how I was taught in England. If the US rules differ, please elaborate.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by uber_cougar
The preposition "onto", as one word, is acceptable if we are referring to something "to the position of", or, "on the surface of".

Examples:

However, if we want our preposition "onto" to mean "onwards and towards", we write it as two separate words.

Examples:

Thank you for that...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by uber_cougar

Examples:

Examples:

This is an excellent explanation. And yes, it works the same way here in the United Snakes.

On a general side note, those quoting examples verbatim from published sources really need to cite them.

This is an excellent explanation. And yes, it works the same way here in The United Snakes.

On a more general side note, anyone quoting published sources verbatim really needs to cite where it came from.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Frank_Lee

This is an excellent explanation. And yes, it works the same way here in The United Snakes.

On a more general side note, anyone quoting published sources verbatim really needs to cite where it came from.

I never quoted a published source verbatim; the example I posted was my own work.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by uber_cougar

I never quoted a published source verbatim; the example I posted was my own work.

Yes, it was. And a very fine example, too.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
I just wanted to say something...
? A True Story ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl
I just wanted to say something...

Please do.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Something.

(I know, I'm so juvenile.)
? A True Story ?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Three statisticians go out hunting together. After a while they spot a solitary rabbit. The first statistician takes aim and overshoots. The second aims and undershoots. The third shouts out "We got him!"

awesome joke ... giggles...
have stolen it

meanwhile I am moving on to the next topic ..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl
Something.

(I know, I'm so juvenile.)

Adulthood is grossly overrated...so they tell me smile
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Frank_Lee

Yes, it was. And a very fine example, too.

Thank you. I'm glad to have been a help.

The key is to get the information across to the reader in a clear and understandable way. I word my information in a manner in which I myself would like it to be worded, thus giving the reader precise and easily understandable instructions.