Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

How often do you write a story that ends up somewhere you didn't expect?

last reply
39 replies
4.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I was reading one of Mysteria's great stories, and saw a comment from her that really struck a chord with me.

Simplicity - Long month indeed for little sister. Nicely written M.
1 hour ago reply | like
Lush Gold member
Mysteria27 - Thanks so much for reading and your lovely comment...I guess we will have to see what happens...when I write this stuff I never know where it's going. I giggled when I saw what I typed. Xo
1 hour ago like

I can't tell you how many of my stories start with an idea, and as I write, the story builds itself in ways I didn't expect. As a writer, I love when that happens and its good. I was wondering how many other authors find themselves writing words that they didn't expect to create.

-John
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Honestly... almost all the time. I'll start with an idea going one way only to have it change directions mid-way through. Sometimes I'll start with one point of view... only to realize it would be better told differently. I'll plan on ending to begin with...then find my story has gone in such a different direction that the ending I had initially planned will no longer work.

It's just the fun of writing... seeing how the story will go and where it might take you.
0 likes
Many times. Often I'll start with just a sex scene or an idea for a character(s) and then the story around it fills in as I write.
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by NymphWriter
Honestly... almost all the time. I'll start with an idea going one way only to have it change directions mid-way through. Sometimes I'll start with one point of view... only to realize it would be better told differently. I'll plan on ending to begin with...then find my story has gone in such a different direction that the ending I had initially planned will no longer work.

It's just the fun of writing... seeing how the story will go and where it might take you.

Same for me.

Hey Nymph
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Very seldom, surprisingly. I usually plot out the story in my head from beginning to end before I start typing.
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
Ending up somewhere I didn't expect - very rarely.

Getting from the starting point to the ending point - frequently.

I always have an ending in mind, and rarely deviate from it, but my characters take over and walk their own road there quite often. Usually, if things are shifting away from the ending I had in mind, the story stalls out.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
About half the time I have a 'movie reel' of the story in my head when I start to write. The other half, an intriguing character shows up, and I have to start writing to see what he/she is up to.

"It seemed like a nice neighborhood to have bad habits in.” Raymond Chandler

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
With creative writing, most of the time, I find it builds on me. In short, my opening pages are often enough to make me see more, so the theme expands or changes, etc.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Occasionally. While I have a beginning and end, I often let the middle fill itself in. Which occasionally will send the story to a different/better ending than originally intended. Also, I occasionally will start without having an end intentionally, so I have no idea where it will end in the first place.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Very rarely: If it's erotic fiction - the end is going to be people fucking.

But to be a little more serious, I often contemplate a scenario that leads to people fucking for a little while before I set words to page. I figure out how these people might come together to cum together. What's unexpected is the creative problem-solving in getting there. For example, in an upcoming story I have two characters develop an online-relationship prior to discovering they know each other in real life (loosely based on the shitty 90s rom-com You've Got Mail). From the outset, I know they're going to hook up in real life, but how do they discover each other? What circumstances are required for them to get together? What deus ex machina will guide them to their inevitable climax? Those details are often a surprise to me.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am currently in this situation where I started a story somewhere and it went somewhere else. I also have the situation where I didn't get to the sex quickly enough and as a result I believe I have lost reader interest. I do need to finish this storyline out to some reasonable conclusion, but this exercise has got me thinking about what good erotica really is?
Lurker
0 likes
VERY RARELY do I know where I'm going...

(The CHARACTERS do what they do as you write...)

Obviously, there has to be a STRUCTURE, a DELIVERY, a RESOLUTION...

(But often that comes ORGANICALLY and just HAPPENS!)

xx SF

Once I KNOW what's going to happen IT'S WORK!!! And I HATE work! Mysteria and I wrote 'Cricket Vaughn And The Don' and talked the progressing story over through several episodes. (Her ideas took it somewhere else...) Honestly, it's QUITE brilliant. I CANNOT bring myself to work on it now that I know how it ends...

But I HAVE to at some point... (It's THAT good!!!)

xx SF
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

VERY RARELY do I know where I'm going...

(The CHARACTERS do what they do as you write...)

Obviously, there has to be a STRUCTURE, a DELIVERY, a RESOLUTION...

(But often that comes ORGANICALLY and just HAPPENS!)

xx SF

Once I KNOW what's going to happen IT'S WORK!!! And I HATE work! Mysteria and I wrote 'Cricket Vaughn And The Don' and talked the progressing story over through several episodes. (Her ideas took it somewhere else...) Honestly, it's QUITE brilliant. I CANNOT bring myself to work on it now that I know how it ends...

But I HAVE to at some point... (It's THAT good!!!)

xx SF

This. I have a layout in my mind, but the characters always end up doing what ever the hell the want. Sometimes I'll have to kill one to get the rest to behave.
0 likes
All the time, I usually just have a general idea and go from there. It can be good and bad at the same time. You may have it be completely different then what you originally wanted, but that could be a good thing or a bad thing. Depends on how it came out I suppose.
Primus Omnium
0 likes
Most of the time I start with an inspiration, which may be a word, a phrase, or an illustration. Then I proceed from there. It seems that often my stories and poems simply write themselves (with my guidance, of course.)
0 likes
Usually I have the story in my head, as I am writing this might change a bit , but mostly, goes where I want it. There as been times , I have decided at the last minute to throw a twist at the end. But as many have said, The story normally builds itself.
Click below to see

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by KatieElizabeth
Never. I plot all my stories with little bullet points before I start and then stick very close to that plan all the way through.

This.

I like being able to nuance things in the story that slowly build or become more clear, already knowing how the characters need to evolve and how the story will ultimately end.

I do character sketches and detail all the plot points before starting. It's not totally mechanical though. I see the scene(s) play out in my head, almost like a little movie, before I start writing, so it still feels organic - just an organized version.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Generally I stick with my preset script throughout, but on rare occasion I have veered some.
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
Once I have an idea in my head, I begin to plan it out in my head. I'll make notes and sure they may change once I start typing the story out. But for the most part, I know where I'm going. The only thing I hardly ever plan is the sex. That's the easiest part for me.
Nerdzilla
0 likes
I typically write knowing the characters and the end, but nothing in between. The rare times I don't know the end, I have to really sit on a story and fix it, otherwise I know it'll contain no surprises.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Almost all the time. I will start out with a picture or a very vague idea of what I want - for example "I want to do a MILF story about a college kid coming home for the summer". From that I let the story take over. I don't know how the story will go, how long it will take to get there or even if I will end up in the place I first headed out to go! Very often I start out in one category and end up in a completely different one... That MILF story may end up being a Lesbian story or Slut Wife story!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by bad_mann_ers
I was reading one of Mysteria's great stories, and saw a comment from her that really struck a chord with me.

Simplicity - Long month indeed for little sister. Nicely written M.
1 hour ago reply | like
Lush Gold member
Mysteria27 - Thanks so much for reading and your lovely comment...I guess we will have to see what happens...when I write this stuff I never know where it's going. I giggled when I saw what I typed. Xo
1 hour ago like

I can't tell you how many of my stories start with an idea, and as I write, the story builds itself in ways I didn't expect. As a writer, I love when that happens and its good. I was wondering how many other authors find themselves writing words that they didn't expect to create.

-John

almost every story I write. I like to say stories grow feet & go their own way.
🎵Picture perfect, I paint a perfect picture...🎵
0 likes
I jot the plot down along with the characters and such, but sometimes the path to get to certain plot points is unplanned. Sometimes, during a story I may realise I have to change an ending due to the paths taken that stray slightly from said plot.

My last published story: Ain't Nothing But A Divorce Party

0 likes
Quote by Beffer
I usually plot out the story in my head from beginning to end before I start typing.

Interestingly, I am finding I tend to do this more with my non-erotic stories. My last couple stories on the blue site were pretty much written in my head before I started typing them out. My later works on here definitely tend to be more planned than the older ones. Guess I am maturing as a writer or something. Certainly, I do less of what I describe in my old post above than I used to.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i am usually so high or drunk (or both) while writing that i have no idea what i'm doing, let alone how it's doing to end up...

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
They usually go in a direction I don't expect. I'm trying to change that though, and be a better plotter. Right now I waste WAY too much time on stuff that ends up on the cutting room floor (so to speak).