last reply
17 replies
1.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Hi,

Do you pay attention to people's body language? For example, arms crossed can mean 'I want to be left alone', slightly longer eye contact can be a sign of showing interest. There are many other body gestures but not all people tune-in to this.

Would you like to share any gestures or mannerisms that you noticed, and what they meant to you personally?

Thanks,

Purple.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Body language is very important! Often more so than what words are said.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Ls63563
Body language is very important! Often more so than what words are said.

I agree totally. Would you like to share any examples of what you've seen or did yourself in terms of body language...

Thanks.
Nerdzilla
0 likes
Body language is an important part of an overall assessment of someone, but it's not the end all be all. You have to listen to their words and tone and their facial expressions too in order to get the best understanding of what they're feeling.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Absolutely. BUT: The other person's clothing may be saying things they don't realize are being said. Clothing can affect what a woman's body language says, and that may not reveal who she is.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Rest assured... if I'm sitting on your face, it MEANS something!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Eye contact is body language to me .
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
i think that body language is ALL too important! it's not everything, mind you, but it can give you more insight into what a person is thinking or feeling.

Say. Her. Name.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
For me eye contact means everything. If they cant look eye to eye, I feel there is a trust issue.
0 likes
There have been entire doctoral theses written on the various signals sent by body language, both consciously and unconsciously, so I don't really know what else I can add.

I am very attuned to body language, or try to be, because in my line of work, it can mean everything. A person can deny being in pain but their tense facial muscles and crossed arms will bely their actual state, for instance. On a social level, I tend to be very conscious of how a person responds to "personal space"; I'm naturally a very affectionate person, so if I'm trying to calm or comfort someone, or even just flirt, I'll generally touch their arms or back. Very rarely (actually, I can think of only one instance), this elicits a negative response--tensing of the muscles, turning of the body at a 45 degree angle to mine. If you do that, I immediately back off.

As to eye contact, direct eye contact can actually be very threatening to some people in some situations. I rarely make direct, sustained eye contact. It has nothing to do with trust and everything to do with making the other person comfortable.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
if you see a fist rapidly approaching your face, that's my body language for 'back off, motherfucker'. hope that helps.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Body Language is an integral part of communication, often the first lines of it. Often times, it is more honest than words. It can express feelings, emotions, expectations, all sorts of things. One only needs to be observant, tune in, to the other person. Also, you can learn so much from observing animals' interactions, especially other mammals.
Lurker
0 likes
If she flicks her hair, licks her lips, and smiles... it's gonna be a good night ;)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Foot position can be an indication that someone's mind is elsewhere. There's a theory that because they're the furthest thing from the brain they are the things act the most naturally and most likely to give you away.

Next time you're in a room full of people, note how many feet are subconsciously pointed towards the most attractive person in the room
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Lurker
0 likes
I never noticed it but my friend likes to point out she can tell when I'm into a particular guy because I'll play with my hair when I talk to him
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Absolutely. I always pay attention to someone's body language in order to gauge their overall mood and thought process. It works for anything: from flirting to office chit chat. Body language allows me to have deeper conversations with them by helping steer the conversation in directions that are most engaging. For example, I say something and get positive feedback, I know that I should start to elaborate. Conversely, if I say something and am met with disinterested mannerisms, it tells me to talk about something different. Furthermore, in a worst-case-scenario, body language let's me know when to wrap it up and move on to somebody else.

I can’t think of a good tagline so this will have to do. Suggest a better one for me?

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by BritneyBlueEyes
I never noticed it but my friend likes to point out she can tell when I'm into a particular guy because I'll play with my hair when I talk to him

Absolutely spot on! I've noticed girls playing with their hair when they're chatting to someone special.

Thanks for sharing that...