Online trolls are literally losers according to study

last reply
37 replies
3.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Veryyyyyyy interesting. Does this apply to female trolls as well??

link
Lurker
0 likes
This DOESN'T surprise...

xx SF

(I also think it goes to Inferiority Complex, too... Like THE ONLY WAY (you believe) you'll get a reaction is to be NASTY or Personally Confrontational...)

I don't get it.

(But then, I don't DO it...)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

This DOESN'T surprise...

xx SF

(I also think it goes to Inferiority Complex, too... Like THE ONLY WAY (you believe) you'll get a reaction is to be NASTY or Personally Confrontational...)

I don't get it.

(But then, I don't DO it...)

I agree with you, Steph. I don't understand it either, considering you can be anything you want to be online. (Neither do I. lmao)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Barbielicious

I agree with you, Steph. I don't understand it either, considering you can be anything you want to be online. (Neither do I. lmao)

I'm just me...

(You seem to be suggesting I have somehow made both a terrible and basic mistake...)

XXXXXXX

xx SF
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

I'm just me...

(You seem to be suggesting I have somehow made both a terrible and basic mistake...)

XXXXXXX

xx SF

omg noooo lmao

Why be a mean and nasty troll when one can be anything they want to be is what I'm saying. You're great and I think I adore you, silly.
Lady GlitterGiggles
0 likes

Fuck. It may be my last but here goes it.
First of all, there seems to be various types of online trolls. I am a loving person and will not start hating anyone, including trolls. I do believe that many "trolls" simply fuck with people out of pure boredom and well, it is sometimes comical to watch from afar so I like those trolls.

Then there are trolls who simply are, in their mind, the most intelligent people in the entire universe. They also have little to no social skills and therefore prey on the "pretty people". They seem to think all pretty, popular people are stupid, or at least far less intelligent than the smart troll. These trolls make me sad. Because no amount of glitter will ever make them less ugly. These types are usually downright mean and their only intention is to hurt others. Fuck these types of trolls.

Of course their are the trolls whom are mentally and/or emotionally ill and really don't mean to be trolls, they just know no other way of communication.

Bottom line. Trolls just need hugs. And we should stop calling them trolls because we are only giving them more "power" by doing so.
Lady GlitterGiggles
0 likes
Quote by Barbielicious
Veryyyyyyy interesting. Does this apply to female trolls as well??

link

No such thing as female trolls
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

I'm just me...

XXXXXXX

xx SF

and not only that, they can't leave you alone. lol ever (them:got me blocked, I'll show up in your timeline anyway!)
Madam Carol
0 likes
I didn't experience internet trolls until I joined lush. It's pretty evident who they are. It's sad. They remind me of the bullies in JR High School. The need to belittle others to feel worth in their own pathetic lives.
Lurker
0 likes
Have not been bugged by trolls on this site... others, yes
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by HotWife4U
I didn't experience internet trolls until I joined lush. It's pretty evident who they are. It's sad. They remind me of the bullies in JR High School. The need to belittle others to feel worth in their own pathetic lives.

I think it's HIGHLY unusual here!!! (I really do!!!)

I mean, I watch A LOT of stuff on YOU TUBE and I CAN'T BELIEVE what people say!

(I think we do REALLY WELL HERE!)

I've said stuff here that would get me FUCKING CRUCIFIED on more UNCOOL sites!!!

WE HAVE people who DON'T abide by the rules from time to time, but I think MOST OF US will get that and, IF NECESSARY, challenge that...

It's NOT something I see here every day. (And WHEN I do... I STOMP ON IT!!!)

And I WILL CONTINUE TO DO THAT...

xx SF
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Online trolls are not defined by gender. They are defined by their actions. Their insistence on shit stirring and causing drama is evident in the way they use insults and taunts to harass. HotWife4U said it best when she compared them to Jr. high school bullies. And when you ignore or block them, they go out of their way to taunt, harass, and insult even more. They don't care how immature they might look so long as they can make themselves feel better.

Even Lush has a policy about respecting members and against trolling. I found this in the Forum Posting Guide:

Respect other users

Sometimes people can write something that you may find offensive. Before launching into a public condemnation though, please consider that the person may not have intended to cause offence. It is very easy to misinterpret a post on forums. There is absolutely no need to resort to insults. Respect others even if you disagree with their views.

No trolling

What is a troll? It's a person who posts something which is bound to stir people up and then sits back and watches as dozens of people jump in and start arguing. Sometimes trolls get their friends to join in or post under different names. Generally they will do anything it takes to get attention. If you see a message like this, please try and refrain from replying to it - it may well be deleted anyway.

Bottom line... trolls need to grow up and get a life. They should not be defended.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
I think people feel very powerful on the computer. They have to remember that there are people with feelings and emotions behind the computer that they are hurting.

The best thing to do with trolls is to block them and not give them power. Don't instigate and stir trouble. Just give them no attention. Silence is always golden with trolls.

Hugs,
Mysteria
xo
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by NymphWriter
Online trolls are not defined by gender. They are defined by their actions. Their insistence on shit stirring and causing drama is evident in the way they use insults and taunts to harass. HotWife4U said it best when she compared them to Jr. high school bullies. And when you ignore or block them, they go out of their way to taunt, harass, and insult even more. They don't care how immature they might look so long as they can make themselves feel better.

Even Lush has a policy about respecting members and against trolling. I found this in the Forum Posting Guide:

Bottom line... trolls need to grow up and get a life. They should not be defended.

I have, AT LEAST TWICE, been INSTRUCTED by the site (CORRECTLY!) to apologize to persons I INADVERTENTLY hurt... (And I did...)

To be CLEAR, I WASN'T Trolling, I was either DRUNK, OVER-OPINIONATED or OBNOXIOUS! (It wasn't PERSONAL...)

I have, more often than that, been obliged to PERSONALLY apologize to people who 'read me wrong', in fact, people who I OFFENDED!!! (I did that too!)

PUBLICLY, BTW!!! (Though THAT was not strictly necessary, I thought it WAS so that others could see I can admit when I FUCK IT UP!!!)

HERE, (IMO...) if you GENUINELY WOUND PEOPLE you should say sorry. (And NOT do it again!)

If IT IS YOUR DESIRE TO GENUINELY HURT, INSULT OR OFFEND, then you have no place on Lush Stories.

And WE ARE WATCHING.

(And WE DON'T PUT UP WITH THAT SHIT!)

xx SF

I HAVEN'T said THIS since I was a MOD, but it REMAINS true... THE MOST IMPORTANT MEMBER OF THIS SITE IS THE NEWEST ONE WHO CHOOSES TO JOIN...

It is ALL OUR JOBS AS MEMBERS to protect them an ALL OUR MEMBERS from TROLLS.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Funny... I don't see the usual trolls trolling the troll thread. :-)
Madam Carol
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

I think it's HIGHLY unusual here!!! (I really do!!!)

I mean, I watch A LOT of stuff on YOU TUBE and I CAN'T BELIEVE what people say!

(I think we do REALLY WELL HERE!)

I've said stuff here that would get me FUCKING CRUCIFIED on more UNCOOL sites!!!

WE HAVE people who DON'T abide by the rules from time to time, but I think MOST OF US will get that and, IF NECESSARY, challenge that...

It's NOT something I see here every day. (And WHEN I do... I STOMP ON IT!!!)

And I WILL CONTINUE TO DO THAT...

xx SF

I'm not a highly experienced internet user, so I'm not a fair judge. Maybe what I call a troll is not. I was referring to persons deliberately bating people into arguments by using derogatory personal comments. So if that's not a troll... Let me call them... Antagonists.
Madam Carol
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier

True
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Quote by stephanie
I have, AT LEAST TWICE, been INSTRUCTED by the site (CORRECTLY!) to apologize to persons I INADVERTENTLY hurt... (And I did...)

To be CLEAR, I WASN'T Trolling, I was either DRUNK, OVER-OPINIONATED or OBNOXIOUS! (It wasn't PERSONAL...)

I have, more often than that, been obliged to PERSONALLY apologize to people who 'read me wrong', in fact, people who I OFFENDED!!! (I did that too!)

PUBLICLY, BTW!!! (Though THAT was not strictly necessary, I thought it WAS so that others could see I can admit when I FUCK IT UP!!!)

HERE, (IMO...) if you GENUINELY WOUND PEOPLE you should say sorry. (And NOT do it again!)

If IT IS YOUR DESIRE TO GENUINELY HURT, INSULT OR OFFEND, then you have no place on Lush Stories.

And WE ARE WATCHING.

(And WE DON'T PUT UP WITH THAT SHIT!)

xx SF

I HAVEN'T said THIS since I was a MOD, but it REMAINS true... THE MOST IMPORTANT MEMBER OF THIS SITE IS THE NEWEST ONE WHO CHOOSES TO JOIN...

It is ALL OUR JOBS AS MEMBERS to protect them an ALL OUR MEMBERS from TROLLS.

I completely agree with you Steph. You don't troll... but you have made mistakes. I'll own my own moments of stupid judgement. The quote from the Forum Posting Guide was something I literally tripped over a short while ago and was like... holy shit! How did I miss this?

I do agree it is all of our jobs, Mods and regular members, to not accept trolling and harassment of other members. When we see this, we should do and say something. The Mods are awesome... but they are not perfect (sorry Sprite... but it's true) and they have lives outside of Lush. Everyone needs to remember that... even me.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier

Best quote of the thread!
Lurker
0 likes
Any time one is on a social media, (esp. adult) there are going to be those who are square pegs. Basically, they cant fit into society, so they take their lack of esteem out on the rest. If one were to go beneath the dermis, one would find mental issues. Trolls have holes in their human makeup.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
For me trolling is not necessarily a negative thing. It's pushing others to respond. While that is a form of manipulation of course, it can be done in an innocent, teasing and fun way (and not just fun for the troll). It can be done in nasty, bullying and energy sucking ways as well of course.
The majority of what is referred to as trolling seems to be just bullying and online harassment though and it looks like that's what the study refers to. The Buzz60 video that the OP borrowed the title from doesn't even mention trolls (well, except for the title that is), but indeed talks about online bullying and harassment.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

The Linebacker
0 likes
I'm guessing that most online trolls, aka blog bullies, etc. are wimps in their real life. Losers like the study says. They can hide online and torment people, most of whom are hundreds, thousands of miles away.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
It's funny that pretty much all of you except maybe one person didn't even bother to click the link and watch the utter stupidity that it leads to before getting all fired up in this thread.

So many levels of irony going on. lol
The Linebacker
0 likes
It was a boring video
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by Buz
It was a boring video

I agree with everyone.
(I think that's a safe answer.)

Buz, of course, has the best answer.
(I'm a big Buz fan.)

I better mention Steph too.
(Because I don't want him mad at me and he's too much of an intellectual.)

I'm pretty low key.
(I'm a notorious online messenger that often hides)
I'm more into the writing side of Lush.
(This is where I shamelessly insert a plug for one of my stories.)
Something would have to be really obvious for me to notice.
(Like Steph, because I love him. Don't tell anyone.)
I've only had to use the block feature once.
(On Buz, but then I had terrible withdrawal symptoms)
It may not have solved it for them, but it solved it for me.
("I'm blind, I can't see. I need buy sun glasses like DMC" I think that's the way it goes.)
I'm on Lush to write and have fun.
(And talk about sex. Once again, don't tell anyone.)
? A True Story ?
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Successfully being trolled requires the 'victim' share at least one quality with the said troll. It means that they, too, are compelled to get the last word.

In the end, that's what it is all about, continually responding, and taking the bait. People do this, the trolls most often of all, because of an irrational belief that, if theirs is not the last point made, they have somehow lost.

A rational person will make their point eloquently, fully and logically and then, let it go if those they are discussing the situation with refuse to agree. When both parties take this direction, discussions are ended amicably, even if a concensus is not reached.

When both insist that the other admit they have lost, either by word or by refusing to come.back, the discussion will inevitably degrade into trolling.

Personally, I'll make my point. I don't take it to heart if those I'm speaking with choose not to agree.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by Milik_the_Red
Successfully being trolled requires the 'victim' share at least one quality with the said troll. It means that they, too, are compelled to get the last word.

In the end, that's what it is all about, continually responding, and taking the bait. People do this, the trolls most often of all, because of an irrational belief that, if theirs is not the last point made, they have somehow lost.

A rational person will make their point eloquently, fully and logically and then, let it go if those they are discussing the situation with refuse to agree. When both parties take this direction, discussions are ended amicably, even if a concensus is not reached.

When both insist that the other admit they have lost, either by word or by refusing to come.back, the discussion will inevitably degrade into trolling.

Personally, I'll make my point. I don't take it to heart if those I'm speaking with choose not to agree.

OK, now I'm in love with Milik.
(That's the last word.)
? A True Story ?