last reply
56 replies
4.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Clumeleon
0 likes
"Ok" is not a word.

When you are writing prose, please take the extra three milliseconds to write the full word, okay?

I don't think the shortened version, OK, is ever necessary, but certainly not in general prose or in dialogue. Sometimes you will see it on signs or written on notes, but not in general use. Please stop it before you give me an aneurism.

(OK can also be confused with the two-letter abbreviation for Oklahoma).

</rant>
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
The public thanks you. ?
? A True Story ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
A quick look here should help authors and verifiers decide which form each individual prefers. There are three correct choices.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
OK may not be a word, but okay is not a real word either, it is simply an attempt to make the original OK an actual word. OK was an abbreviation/acronym that originated in 1839 from a humorous Boston Morning Post article that got picked up and popularized by the Martin Van Buren presidential campaign because the abbreviation (originally Oll Korrect) coincided with Van Buren's nickname 'Old Kinderhook'. Then telegraphers (a new invention at the time) began using it as a regular telegraphy shortcut, and OK became part of the English language. It was only later that it was deemed necessary to turn it into an actual word, spelled out, but that is an artificial construct. OK is the actual original term.
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Quote by Frank_Lee
A quick look here should help authors and verifiers decide which form each individual prefers. There are three correct choices.

What was the third? I only saw OK and okay.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Thanks for the input. I didn't do any research, I just know it bugs me.

I will add, my main annoyance is when people write "Ok" or "ok", rather than the capitalised version. However, as people are using the word neither as an abbreviated nor acronymised (pretty sure I made that word up) form of anything (even if it does have obscure origins), there's no need to write it like that—just write the full word! If nothing else, it's more aesthetically pleasing.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
So, is it ok or not OK to write okay as O-k-k-kay if the character has a stutter?

Charming as fuck
0 likes
Quote by clum
"Ok" is not a word.

When you are writing prose, please take the extra three milliseconds to write the full word, okay?

I don't think the shortened version, OK, is ever necessary, but certainly not in general prose or in dialogue. Sometimes you will see it on signs or written on notes, but not in general use. Please stop it before you give me an aneurism.

</rant>

K. *tuts* sake, man.

Actually, while we're at it, can people please stop 'laying down'. YOU WERE LYING DOWN!
Senior Analyst
0 likes
Quote by clum
"Ok" is not a word.

</rant>

"aneurysm"
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Quote by Porgy87

"aneurysm"

You're both right! Have just checked my copy of the OED and aneurysm can also be spelt aneurism. Its just an alternative.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Quote by clum
"Ok" is not a word.

</rant>

Please don't give yourself an aneurysm Clum... you are too valuable to the site.

As for this word that is giving you grief... I only wish to add (and I'm so not trying to be a bitch here) that in the realm of dialogue, people do say the word okay. However, if you have a character texting (which some authors have done, and rather well I might add) they might just type "K" or "OK" in regards to said text. I only mention this because (& again... I know how hard the Mods work so this is in no way an attempt to make you guys work harder) if an author is doing this... & they write out words... but the texts are between two say college-aged characters... the reality is they won't spell out certain words (as much as that drives me nuts in the real world.)

Otherwise you're correct in your thought about okay being correct vs. OK (not to be confused with the abbreviation for Oklahoma.)
Classified
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
OK is the actual original term.

Good to be both original and keep tradition. OK!

I did at first write alright but that too is contentious.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/all-right-or-alright

Of all our inventions for mass communication,
pictures still speak the most universally understood language.

Walt Disney
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by curvygalore
You're both right! Have just checked my copy of the OED and aneurysm can also be spelt aneurism. Its just an alternative.

Thanks. I just looked it up, too. It seems the spelling with Y is more common and more used, but both are acceptable. In truth, I guessed, and the spellcheck didn't correct me so I assumed I guessed correctly.

Quote by NymphWriter
... [In] the realm of dialogue, people do say the word okay. However, if you have a character texting (which some authors have done, and rather well I might add) they might just type "K" or "OK" in regards to said text.

Yeah, of course. There are no end of exceptions that can be made for text speak.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by RavenStar

What was the third? I only saw OK and okay.

The other is O.K. Okay?
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Quote by Frank_Lee

The other is O.K. Okay?

Ahhhh. OK.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by Frank_Lee

Journalism majors...

(Notice my use of the ellipsis--not to be confused with ellipses. Or, is that another public announcement.J6f2fEo1ggAzWIqL )
? A True Story ?
Matriarch
0 likes
'k, cool.

I've never had a problem with OK, ok, or okay, as long as there is consistency there.
Una chica rubia caliente
0 likes
Quote by clum
"Ok" is not a word.

</rant>

Bite Me!!! OK???
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl

Journalism majors...

(Notice my use of the ellipsis--not to be confused with ellipses. Or, is that another public announcement.PCEYunzzH1mhFlxf )

It's the plural, ellipses.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by clum
"Ok" is not a word.

</rant>[/quoteokay]
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by clum
"Ok" is not a word.

</rant>

OK
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by RavenStar

If you are a math major it's two curves on a plane. Or, two planes with curves that intersect and something that looks like an ice cream cone...
I'm certain I left something out.
But as a Lushee, it sort of sounds kind of sexy.
? A True Story ?
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by RavenStar

Isn't it ellipsises?
Senior Analyst
0 likes
Quote by Shannon3K

Bite Me!!! OK???

This.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Porgy87
Quote by Shannon3K
Bite Me!!! OK???

This.

I am honestly feeling so attacked right now.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl

But as a Lushee, it sort of sounds kind of sexy.

I believe it's spelled "lushie". Kay?
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

I believe it's spelled "lushie". Kay?

Ah man, I thought that "sort of/kind of" would get a play for it.
I'm sticking with my Lushee because it reminds of banshee.
We shall just call it my personal brand of semantics.
Who is Kay?
? A True Story ?
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I think at one point in my Lush writing career I used to use "ok". Not knowing any better, but I want to say a mod finally approved one of my stories and said "Stop with the ok, it's okay." I wish now I had kept the pm, just to see who it was. For all I know it was Callum. But, it worked. I've used it since and now can't stand when people say ok in any form. It is, in my opinion always okay.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
I'm reading Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and I noticed she uses "OK".