Chapter Uploads vs Full Story Uploads

last reply
9 replies
1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Hi all just out of curiosity, I'm currently uploading a novel in chapters on here. I was just wondering whether you prefer to have it uploaded like this or if you actually prefer to have the entire story published in one go.

I've considered doing both so that people can decide whether they want to view 1 story in separate chapter uploads or just the full downloadable pdf version.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated smile
People that don't care, play games with people that do care. Life is just a game however and we all need to learn how to play it.
Lurker
0 likes
Lush caps off your max file upload around 8K or so.

When I uploaded a novel I initially was doing one single chapter at a time - but some chapters were very short so I ultimately ended up combining chapters to average around 4K - 6K per upload (whether that was 1 single chapter or 2 or 3 put together).
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
We have a 10,000 word cap for individual stories and story parts. You are welcome to have as many chapters as you like, though.

Please feel free to post any other questions here, or contact a story moderator directly. Thanks so much for bringing your work here and sharing it with our community. smile
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Thanks Metilda, I'll keep posting chapters as I am then, seems to be the way forward.

I'm already close to 20k words and 4 chapters in so it's going be a beefy size. Between 4 - 5k words per chapter so makes sense to do it the same way as you.

I might combine chapters though as you've advised and have 10 chapters of 8k words instead of 20 of 4k and see how that goes once it's all finished
People that don't care, play games with people that do care. Life is just a game however and we all need to learn how to play it.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by RavenStar
We have a 10,000 word cap for individual stories and story parts. You are welcome to have as many chapters as you like, though.

Please feel free to post any other questions here, or contact a story moderator directly. Thanks so much for bringing your work here and sharing it with our community. smile

Ahh thank you both :)

Yeah I might be able to combine chapters then as long as my word count doesn't stray above the mark. 8k per chapter is a pretty decent size and can be read in a decent amount of time.
Lurker
0 likes
Thanks for clarifying, Raven.

Cheating - good luck smile Just know that it takes A LONG time to upload a full length novel. It's best advised to do it one piece at a time, waiting for each submitted piece to publish before put in the next. Try to find a routine to avoid getting bogged down with the tedium of it.

Further, readers will come to expect your pieces to be released routinely IF you get into a routine for a while - so keep that in mind, too.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by Metilda
Thanks for clarifying, Raven.

Cheating - good luck smile Just know that it takes A LONG time to upload a full length novel. It's best advised to do it one piece at a time, waiting for each submitted piece to publish before put in the next. Try to find a routine to avoid getting bogged down with the tedium of it.

Further, readers will come to expect your pieces to be released routinely IF you get into a routine for a while - so keep that in mind, too.

Thanks again for the advice Metilda, routine is going to be something I'll have to learn pretty quickly I think. My uploads are a bit scattered at the moment so might upload a new chapter every 4 days as that will give time for editing and other such remedial tasks haha. Oh how I love to edit :P
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Cheating, when I wrote my novel (which was actually a collaboration with another author here) it was 14 chapters long and I submitted one chapter at a time waiting until it was published before submitting the next. I waited a week between chapters too so that my readers could read the one chapter before I published the next.

I have found that a week between stories is a good way to time them. I have a folder on my computer "To Be Published" where I keep stories I have written and are waiting to be published. I try to publish either Thursday or Friday of each week, but if I get too backed up on stories I will publish twice a week until I get back down to a reasonable level.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by Jonathans_Fantasies
Cheating, when I wrote my novel (which was actually a collaboration with another author here) it was 14 chapters long and I submitted one chapter at a time waiting until it was published before submitting the next. I waited a week between chapters too so that my readers could read the one chapter before I published the next.

I have found that a week between stories is a good way to time them. I have a folder on my computer "To Be Published" where I keep stories I have written and are waiting to be published. I try to publish either Thursday or Friday of each week, but if I get too backed up on stories I will publish twice a week until I get back down to a reasonable level.

Thanks for the advice J_F smile Yeah I was uploading too many at once so I've had to slow down and wait until one has been approved then I can upload another. It's not a bad thing to be honest as it's given me a good chance to edit the story as well as I can so it reads better.

It's surprising how quickly they mount up I'm really getting stuck into this novel and it doesn't look like it's going to take that long to get to the 40k word mark. Once I reach that point I'll decide if I want to keep it as a novella or go on to write more and turn it into a novel.

Thanks again for the advice though it's much appreciated :)
Lurker
0 likes
As a regular reader I prefer uploading the full story, There can be a waiting time between uploaded chapters which leaves the reader wondering " is there going to be any more" You can "store" chapters until they,re finished but unfortunately there are authors who will not or cannot finish stories. Stories start off with a "bang", no pun intended, and then fizzle out usually because the writer has lost interest or they begin another tale. I,m left wondering "how did it end".