Login

NEW WINDOWS 10

last reply
30 replies
5.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
Has anyone changed to the new - free, - windows 10? What is your opinion of it?

I have, (but I was on 8 already) and I wouldn't recommend it generally. If you are on Windows 7 or XP, (now sadly dying), which I would think most people are, and are completely satisfied with that, then treat 10 like the plague. Unless of course you are the sort of person who likes a challenge Windows 8 and 10 are a different country.

If you are on Windows 8, which is fairly newish, and has as much in common with previous programs as Chinese has with English, then go ahead if you want to, there is not all that much difference. Oh yes, it has all the gadgets, - facial recognition, voice recognition etc., and if that's what you want, then go ahead, it's free anyway.

That's my opinion, but I'm just an amateur with a laptop, which for me is challenge enough! I'd love to hear what others think.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I just updated from 8.1 this morning and I am really pleased. It seems to have addressed a lot of the issues I had with both 8 and 8.1. It took me a while to find it, but I really like having the start menu back.
Site administrator
0 likes
Well I took the plunge today .. circa 3 hours later all done .. no issues and a very smooth transition.
Candy Connoisseur
0 likes
I really wish I would stop getting the reminders about updating. Its not going to happen. I even purchased a copy of W7 two years ago just in case one of my computers failed and I was forced to purchase a new one with either W8 or the current 10. By the way, what happened to Windows 9? And dont tell me it was 8.1, because that makes no numeric sense either. I just dont understand why Microsoft cant fix the bugs without forcing you to learn how to use an operating system again. They do the same shit with Office and Outlook.
Site administrator
0 likes
Quote by SydneySider
I really wish I would stop getting the reminders about updating. Its not going to happen. I even purchased a copy of W7 two years ago just in case one of my computers failed and I was forced to purchase a new one with either W8 or the current 10. By the way, what happened to Windows 9? And dont tell me it was 8.1, because that makes no numeric sense either. I just dont understand why Microsoft cant fix the bugs without forcing you to learn how to use an operating system again. They do the same shit with Office and Outlook.

This may help:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-stay-on-windows-7-8-forever-3614204/

smile
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by SydneySider
By the way, what happened to Windows 9? And dont tell me it was 8.1, because that makes no numeric sense either.

If I'm correct then they chose not to have a version 9 to prevent running into problems with badly scripted version checkers where Windows 9 could've been mistaken for Windows 95/98.

Quote by SydneySider
I just dont understand why Microsoft cant fix the bugs without forcing you to learn how to use an operating system again. They do the same shit with Office and Outlook.

As we've seen with Windows XP: the longer Microsoft keeps supporting older versions, the longer people will keep using older versions. For Microsoft it's probably cheaper to hand out free upgrades than to maintain multiple versions.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SydneySider

If you have no interest in upgrading to Windows 10 why did you install the updates that nag you to update?
0 likes
My employer's corporate parent continues to recommend avoiding 10 for a variety of reasons (mostly MS's growing tendency to force you to buy the more expensive Enterprise package rather than Pro if you want to centrally manage your PCs) so my new laptop is running 8.1. Much nicer than the original 8 and I added Classic Shell to get a traditional Start menu. I may actually like this better than 10 based on my brief experiences with the latter.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by mr_canuck

If you have no interest in upgrading to Window$ 10 why did you install the updates that nag you to update?

If you haven't already succumbed to the daily bombardment/reminder from Micro$oft to download & update to Window$10... and you're constantly seeing that daily reminder -

Follow these steps to remove that annoying reminder from your Window$ 7 or 8.1 machine and keep KB3035583 (update) from ever being downloaded to your machine again.

Uninstall instructions here

The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Site administrator
0 likes
Ever since I went to w10 Shock Wave Player keeps crashing on me and pages intermittently freeze (Chrome here). I have taken the advice on the web and changed the Chrome setting for Plug-ins but the problem is still apparent .. any ideas please?
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale

If you haven't already succumbed to the daily bombardment/reminder from Micro$oft to download & update to Window$10... and you're constantly seeing that daily reminder -

Follow these steps to remove that annoying reminder from your Window$ 7 or 8.1 machine and keep KB3035583 (update) from ever being downloaded to your machine again.

Uninstall instructions here

Or you can stop being so cheap and buy something that runs OS X.
Mana wahine
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

Or you can stop being so cheap and buy something than runs OS X.

Thanks very much for the tip. I was getting very frustrated with the daily reminder.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by simplyjohn
Ever since I went to w10 Shock Wave Player keeps crashing on me and pages intermittently freeze (Chrome here). I have taken the advice on the web and changed the Chrome setting for Plug-ins but the problem is still apparent .. any ideas please?

Downgrade to Windows 7/8/8.1 or uninstall Windows 10 and install Linux! smile
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I JUST upgraded to Windows 10, expecting to hate it. I like it. It's actually an improvement over 7 (and I was fond of 7).
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by mr_canuck

Downgrade to Windows 7/8/8.1 or uninstall Windows 10 and install Linux! smile

We have a winner!
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale

We have a winner!

I bet you buy butter in the store too, don't you? Stop living under the man's control. You're losing the battle for your mind. Churn your own butter and stop being a sheep to the system, you fucking doofus. Wake up.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
I upgraded my computer today to Windows 10. So far so good.

I like that the start button was introduced back.

No issues to report yet.

Hugs,
Mysteria
xo
0 likes
Due to a recommendation from our corporate parent to avoid 10 for now (there are some issues with running it in a corporate environment, notably some changes designed to force more businesses to spend big bucks for the Enterprise version instead of using the OEM Pro version that comes with computers), I'm running 8.1. So far, so good. I did put Classic Shell on to get a proper Start menu but otherwise it's vanilla 8.1.

I've tried 10 and don't really see that I'm missing anything by not running it. In the end, I just need my computer to work and every version of Windows since about XP has been more about piling on features than just giving me a basic, working system.
Lurker
0 likes
Feels good smile
Lurker
0 likes
Crappy, much better than 8.x though.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Either remove these update packages from your installed Windows Updates ( or learn to HIDE them prior to downloading/installing)

• KB2952664 -x86-the x64 (System Update compatibility for migration to Windows 10)

• KB2977759 -x86-the x64 (Diagnostics compatibility issues for upgrading to Windows 10)

• KB3021917 -x86-the x64 (diagnostics and telemetry systems to upgrade to Windows 10)

KB3035583 -x86-the x64 (Update sets "Get Windows 10" application) This is the annoying one which induces the nagging popup.

• KB3068708 -x86-the x64 (Update to improve the quality of diagnostics and telemetry)

• KB3075249 -x86-the x64 (Update adds a point telemetry consent.exe file)

• KB3080149 -x86-the x64 (Update for CEIP program and diagnostic telemetry)

• KB3081954 -x86-the x64 (Update to improve the working folders and telemetry)

• KB3123862 -x86-the x64 (Updated opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale
Either remove these update packages from your installed Windows Updates ( or learn to HIDE them prior to downloading/installing)

• KB2952664 -x86-the x64 (System Update compatibility for migration to Windows 10)

• KB2977759 -x86-the x64 (Diagnostics compatibility issues for upgrading to Windows 10)

• KB3021917 -x86-the x64 (diagnostics and telemetry systems to upgrade to Windows 10)

KB3035583 -x86-the x64 (Update sets "Get Windows 10" application) This is the annoying one which induces the nagging popup.

• KB3068708 -x86-the x64 (Update to improve the quality of diagnostics and telemetry)

• KB3075249 -x86-the x64 (Update adds a point telemetry consent.exe file)

• KB3080149 -x86-the x64 (Update for CEIP program and diagnostic telemetry)

• KB3081954 -x86-the x64 (Update to improve the working folders and telemetry)

• KB3123862 -x86-the x64 (Updated opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10)

Oooooh. You're a rockstar. Thank you.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I had a new computer with windows 8 on it. They wanted me to up grade to windows 8.1, which I did, then they wanted me toyp grade to windows 10, which I did not want to do, but they kept after me, until they ungraded me. It froze my computer and made it a piece of shit. Microsofts answer "Whoops, guess we goofed up." I sit here and hundreds more that microsoft did this to and so I had to buy a new computer with windows 7 on it, fuck Bill Gates and Microsoft.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
After the anniversary update to Windows 10.....My computer went on the fritz. I had so many problems with it.

Then....

I lost all my network connections.

I had to have my computer guy look at it and Windows 10 fried my boot sector. My computer isn't even 2 years old.

He was able to fix it and god bless him he put windows 8 back onto my computer.

I HATED WINDOWS 10.

Hugs,
Mysteria
xo
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Tried updating my laptop while on vacation to Win 10. Update crapped out several times.

Went back to older version. May be less painful to just buy and new laptop LOL
"Them ain't no militia, that's the Army of the Potomac!"
Troublemaker
0 likes
I'm not impressed. After a few days of cleaning things up it works pretty well but visually I hate it. I don't find it as intuitive as other software.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I usually have to benchtest all the systems that I recommend to most of the places where I volunteer as techie for the various boxes due to unfortunately having degrees in microcomputers and networking.
Windows 10 is relatively easy as compared to MS systems, but their profit margin has in the past release the machines and let the consumer do the test support to find all the glitches the system has.

In all honesty 10 is one of Microsoft Windoze better operating systems, but Linux and Apple are tons better. XP was windows very very best system imho.
I have far more tech calls on Microsoft systems than all other systems combined, and its not because of the percentage of computers made to run windozes than all the other systems. (although mathematically that has to have some impart)

I would highly recommend people get linux systems, they are getting to be really fun now without the user requiring much coding, scripting, or even programming abilities but still having the ability to get into the guts of the engines!
My universe may not necessarily agree with your's, but you have every right that you live happily in both.
Respect mine and I will respect yours. I fought and risked death for the right to be whom I am, even if I am clueless as to whom that may be.
I do not like the dark spots in My brain, but the spider webs are even worse.
Combat Veteran covers a vast arena, third degree burns from friendly fire with a disgruntled shipmate, stab wound from someone who felt is was permissible to hit a Lady with a twelve pack of alcohol; hit by a pickup truck by an individual on heroin. Was very quick to disabuse them of those ideas. Its all about control, only need physical contact in approximately 7 points of the body to enact terminal velocity upon those vermin.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Why they had to change from XP I will never know.
I have a new PC with 10 and its a pain in the ass to learn the new and complicated ways of operating it.
I have kept the old XP one as well for when I get so frustrated and want to chuck 10 out the window.