Rejected from the military...

last reply
4 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Update:

I contacted the Army again and asked them why my application had been rejected the second time around.

They said "We can't understand why your application has been denied on the basis of your hand tattoo, when it was accepted the first time." So all I need to do is write a letter of appeal and hopefully it'll be reviewed.

They also said that their tattoo policy has been relaxed so it shouldn't have been a problem.

It could just be that someone was having a bad day when they looked at my application or doesn't like tattoos perhaps.

Fingers crossed I'll be able to actually keep my tattoo and enlist, would save a lot of money and time if that is the case.

=====================================================================================================
So I decided to re-open my application to the army two days ago, I'd postponed it as I got cold feet the first time. But as times gone on I thought that I'd made a mistake and should re-apply and go for it. If it's not for me then at least I tried.

They accepted my hand tattoo the first time around and said they would have no problem accepting me if I re-applied.

Then I get this message

Thank you for completing the Tattoo/Body Piercing form. Unfortunately based on the information you have given us you are not eligible to join the Army. We cannot progress your application further.

The Army Policy on Tattoos is shown below:

“It is Army policy that a person with tattoo marks which, because of size, position or nature would be detrimental to the Service, is ineligible for enlistment, re-enlistment or continued service in the Army. Any tattoo(s), excessive in size or number, offensive or obscene, which is visible when wearing parade uniform (not including shirt sleeve order or sports clothing). The visible area comprises the head, front of neck and hands.”

Unfortunately the tattoo on your hand is deemed too excessive and therefore deems you ineligible under current policy

Thank you for your interest in the British Army.

Frustrated doesn't even begin to cover it.

On the plus side I've got the opportunity to go to university next year as I'm studying in September, but in some ways I wish I'd never postponed my application in the first place.

Anyone else had a similar experience ?
People that don't care, play games with people that do care. Life is just a game however and we all need to learn how to play it.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
If joining the military means so much to you, why don't you just get it lasered off?
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by Liz
If joining the military means so much to you, why don't you just get it lasered off?

I've asked them about that, they said however even if I get it removed via laser there's still no guarantee that they'll accept me as it might still show. It's a gamble and could be left with a faded tattoo and still not be accepted. They might change their policy in the future though so I'll keep an eye out and maybe I'll have the chance to apply again.
People that don't care, play games with people that do care. Life is just a game however and we all need to learn how to play it.
The Linebacker
0 likes
It depends on how reputable and professional the people are that do the lasering. I've seen some outstanding work that left no trace or just some ever so slight discoloring of the skin, but no trace of the tattoo. Like most things, you get what you pay for. Ask around, check online reviews. You may actually do better going through a dermatologist. That will cost more, but should yield the results you want.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by Buz
It depends on how reputable and professional the people are that do the lasering. I've seen some outstanding work that left no trace or just some ever so slight discoloring of the skin, but no trace of the tattoo. Like most things, you get what you pay for. Ask around, check online reviews. You may actually do better going through a dermatologist. That will cost more, but should yield the results you want.

Ah never thought of going through a dermatologist before, I'll do some research into that smile Thanks

I guess some of the laser removal I've seen hasn't been the greatest so it put me off.

If it's possible to have a near perfect job done on it though I might strongly consider it