1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Just wondering what members are doing concerning Earth day
Lurker
0 likes
I turned on an extra light, drove 5 mph more per hour, and used a few more gallons of water. That's what I did in retaliation to the tree-huggers.
Matriarch
0 likes
I don't make a big deal out of doing something for just the one day, that's more or less pointless other than for marketing / awareness purposes.

I try and do as much as I can every day. Turn off lights in rooms I am not in, unplug TV when not in use, take pubic, I mean public transport as much as possible, recycle everything (big in Australia).

Did you do anything special Pam?
Lurker
0 likes
After Rocco response does anyone care?

I could expound, but I think it best just say today was a continuation for my efforts as will tomorrow be.

Many may not realize, but do to my efforts along with many others, Our government expanded our tax credits program to include credits for increased insulation,
including purchases to energy star approved appliances, energy star window replacements and finally adding high efficiency (75% efficient) wood or pellet burning stoves

remaining solar, geothermal, and wind generation also qualify for up to 30% tax credits up to $ 1500

This bill passed along the the economic stimulus package Feb. 17
Smiley Guru
0 likes
Pam, you are so aware on so many other subjects, doesn't the economic give away/stimulus package piss you off? Even if there is some nice pork in it?
Lurker
0 likes
Yes i realize the pork involved, When we presented our concerns, we did not know our efforts would be tacked onto the economic stimulus package.

Our efforts were to entice average homeowners to take advantage of ways to conserve energy. Also to make alternatives more affordable to them.

I do understand that not only is the reduction of hydro carbons important , but to reduce dependance upon imported fossil fuel. Aware also of the money exiting the country to quench our energy thirst and what it does to our trade imbalance.

It was hoped that alternative energy pursuits spawned new manufacturing and creation of Jobs as well.

I also realize our production of ethanol require almost as much energy to produce as net energy gained.

Also within the economic stimulus package money is earmarked for research of atomizing coal for cleaner energy generation but yet had come to fruition.

Money to was aloted for cold fusion, still debated if it produced a positive energy gain
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well pam you need to realize most of the energy input into ethanol comes from the sun. I have hlf of my book on wasted space and energy completed an cellulotic ethanol is great while sugar based ethanol is only marginal.

How about the fact that they are stopping funding for Biomass Methane projects. A power plant built at every landfill which would use the gas produced by the landfill to generate power instead of it just being burnt off into the atmosphere.

Or how about the idea of mowing along 49000+ miles of interstate highways for no reason other than to make it look pretty. The amount of space along highways can be leased to local farmers for hay production and would amount to several million acres. The farmers already have the equipment needed to mow it down and bale it and instead of it getting mowed 5-6 times per season it would be mowed 2. saving millions of gallon of gas or diesel depending upon the state and their equipment. There are tons of great ideas out there for saving the world but each needs to be done and unless you a dumping cash into the pockets of congress none of it will be done.
Lurker
0 likes
Orion
Realizing this is lush, the energy credit in this bill passing was geared towards homeowners

Not to many homes reside on a land fill. However I am familiar with Methane capture to energy usages.

Quite a Volatile gas when compared to Natural gas and LP and i do believe it is a viable energy source

I'm also gald you pointed out the practices of wasted energies along our Hyw's

Please lets take this to PM, as this is Lush and. I doubt there is a lot of interest in this discussion.

The topic of the post was EARTH DAY which conjures up individuals efforts or actions.

I did think it important to point out certain tax credits are available to encourage energy conservation.

Some utility companies are also offering credits or coupons' to entice saving energy and one might look to their states to see if it too has tax incentives
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I pretty much followed the same path as nicola, continuing a basic home-conservationist policy I've had for years. I think Earth day is nicely symbolic, but I also find its educational value is often overwhelmed by extremists on both sides of environmental issues, so I am ambivalent about it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Pam111
Orion

Please lets take this to PM, as this is Lush and. I doubt there is a lot of interest in this discussion.

So should I infer from that comment that because we are members here we cannot have a thought in our head that isn't sex based? Some of the most intellectual people I know are from on here.
Smiley Guru
0 likes
I'm afraid you missed the point of my comment entirely. Progress on a sustainable and environmental front is very cool and I'm all for it.

Doing it on the coat tails of a bill designed to suck money from taxpayers and feed bloated insolvent corporations in the name of stimulating the economy is nuts. That was the part I'm asking you about.

I applaud your work on your farm, let's hear more about your solar water heater and efficient house. Those are fabulous ideas and you are putting them to action, leading by example.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Since the OP was about Earth Day and not the stimulus bill, on which intelligent people may respectfully disagree, it is entirely possible your point was ignored as off topic, rather than missed.
Smiley Guru
0 likes
Monocle, respectfully, the nature of a conversation is that it follows a series of connected thoughts and develops a dialogue. The world is a rich and complex places where many topics intertwine.

Environmental activities, taken in a governmental context, naturally lead to a discussion of that process of government. That process was the nature of my original question for Pam, after she specifically mentioned the stimulus bill. I was following the dynamic of the conversation.

I believe that Pam is keenly astute and a forward thinker and progressive action taker. My question was designed to elicit thought about the process of government in the achievement of those desirable goals, a natural connection.

The responses following were a reaction as if I were attacking the environmental concepts, specifically saying let's take these to PM. That is not an ignored point it's a missed one.

Then, of course, if you want to stick with the strictest definition of off topic, since your comment is meta communication about the discussion and not commentary about Earth Day, you sir, are off topic.

Dialogue is the tool we have to connect our thoughts with one another and to learn and grow. Let's not stifle that opportunity.

"This is Lush", yes it is, and in my observation it is a fine collection of intelligent, well mannered, and respectful people. The quality of conversations we have in the pub on a broad variety of topics, with agreement and discussion, is remarkable, interesting, and a pleasure to participate in. Why else would we be here?

I submit that the readers of this forum are a higher than average caliber intellect, and I'm just glad they let me stay around and participate, plus from time to time someone posts a really good joke.

PS For Earth Day this year, I didn't personally burn down a single rain forest!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This is certainly off topic, and thus my last comment in this thread on it. My previous comment may have been meta, but it was an attempt to keep the thread on the introduced topic rather than have it become a debate about the stimulus bill. It is true that Pam mentioned the bill, but only regarding the initiatives and incentives for green technologies. Widening the discussion to a guaranteed politically charged debate about the entirety of the bill would, I am most certain, derail the thread entirely.

This thread was and is not about environmental activities taken in a governmental context. Earth Day is, in its origins and history, a grassroots movement. Government initiatives to help individuals improve their environmental impact are relevant to the discussion, but they are not the discussion itself.

I think that the involvement of government in pursuit of environmental goals is a great - and potentially highly contentious - topic, but not for this thread unless explicitly invited by the thread originator. And Pam, the originator, asked that Orion's (not your) sideline discussion be taken to PM.

I'm all for dialogue. But "doesn't X piss you off?" to me does not sound like dialogue. To me, it sounds like provocation. Perhaps I'm the only one, in which case I humbly apologize for my oversensitivity.

Again, the dialogue of which you speak could be wonderful in this forum - or it could rapidly devolve into partisan sniping. Either way, it belongs in its own thread unless the OP says it's OK here, and I interpret that she's said it isn't.

Something that would be on topic would be the question whether Earth Day really does what it should, and could it be made better, more accessible, and more appealing across ideologies?

Also, what is the best way to link Earth Day to erotic activities? Ah! Perhaps that latter question is in fact the answer to the former.
Smiley Guru
0 likes
Quote by Monocle
Also, what is the best way to link Earth Day to erotic activities?

That's easy include a return to the Pagan spring rituals of open sex in the fields to insure fertility of the soil as part of Earth Day celebrations!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Now that's a story seed if I ever heard one.
Lurker
0 likes
Earth Day is as Nicola said but one day in a year. However It is my opinion ,a day to give pause and rethink what impact our personal activities effect our Earth., A public awareness day.

As for the political, nature, I would like to refrain that part of the discussion. I despise it being coupled with a major pork barrel legislation package. Idealistically, we the American public, would take on such endeavors without the aid of government intervention. Realistically it has not happened, therefore the government incentives were initiated, to motivate related industries and us. My post was to make members here, aware of the existence of the energy credit incentives. The last time these incentives were passed they were attached to the farm bill. For some reason the tax year 2008 drastically reduced the incentive base and all of it restored for 2009, plus the addition of high efficient cleaner wood burning.

I want to also clear the air here; most of my information comes from my lover Jake and his own alternative energy site, plus peak oil forums.

I could share our unique energy efficient home design. Perhaps latter on in this post.
Another question was asked about my individual efforts and my answers it a continuation of what I doing now.

Starting from Jan 2009

Remodeled the bathroom replacing a 3.5 gallon toilet with a 1.5 gallon flush toilet

Mid Feb. Finally placing our self installed Solar hot water system on line I know more has been asked to explain it. The reason for the self-installation was, that every facet of the system would be understood by us, to recount and report to others.

Last month we replaced the aged Refrigerator with a Samsung High efficient energy star certified model. The old one used about $130 in electricity per year this on is rated at $56

The suggestion to take part of this discussion to pm, was not intended to question the intelligence of membership here. But to wean sections of the discussion from some that may be disinterested.
Lurker
0 likes
Don't worry Pam. If they're not interested they just won't read it.

I think Earth Day needs some work, for now it seems like just a lot of self interest groups getting their 15 minutes 1 day a year.
When it, "saving the Earth", becomes more attractive to the avg. person, that's when it will happen more often. Right now, if it inconveniences mr/mrs avg Joe, it's not gonna happen.
Seeker
0 likes
Also, what is the best way to link Earth Day to erotic activities?

Two words...Mud Wrestling