Beta Blockers and Exercise

last reply
3 replies
1.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
I've just been put on beta blockers for severe anxiety.

I had been training last year for a 26 mile charity walk, but due to family illness, and then illness of my own, I lost my level of fitness because I couldn't go out training. I'd got to the level of doing 14 miles straight (which is a fucking miracle for me).

Now I'm on the beta blockers, I'm worried about my training, even though I am able to go out a bit now. I've tried researching, but I'm not having much luck.

Will I be able to get back to my previous level, and then beyond it, despite having a slower heart rate? Can I still go at it, or by nature of how they work, will I have to be a sluggy snail forever? Just getting out the door is hard enough, but when I've done that, getting one foot in front of the other is a battle that's harder.

Does anybody have any help or advice regarding exercising on beta blockers, please? I don't want to be a marathon runner (boobs are too big), but I do want to just go, "Yeah, I'm walking today, innit", and bimble for 20 miles.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Madam Carol
0 likes
Are you using them solely for anxiety or also high blood pressure? I'd be careful in that case. Walking 14 miles is sufficient. Not worth your life,to push it further.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The beta blockers shouldn't stop you from enjoying a good long walk. Even on the drugs, your body will tell you if you're pushing it too far; listen to it and either slow down or stop.

Unless you're really trying to maintain a high heart rate the blockers shouldn't interfere with your exercise. Walking has so many benefits for mind as well as body, maintaining a good walking schedule should help you come off the beta blockers when you're ready.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by HotWife4U
Are you using them solely for anxiety or also high blood pressure? I'd be careful in that case. Walking 14 miles is sufficient. Not worth your life,to push it further.

It's purely for anxiety. Whilst my blood pressure was up a bit the other day, it's normally just below average. I can't walk 14 miles at the moment, as I lost my stamina. I need it back. I don't think I can manage 6 miles right now, but I want (need) to kick miles ass.

Quote by overmykneenow
The beta blockers shouldn't stop you from enjoying a good long walk. Even on the drugs, your body will tell you if you're pushing it too far; listen to it and either slow down or stop.

Unless you're really trying to maintain a high heart rate the blockers shouldn't interfere with your exercise. Walking has so many benefits for mind as well as body, maintaining a good walking schedule should help you come off the beta blockers when you're ready.

I don't mind how fast I get somewhere, as long as I get there eventually. One of the reasons I want to walk again is because being in nature is one of the things that helps me get better.

I went for a long walk with my brother the other day. It can't have been more than 4-5 miles, but it's the furthest I've been since January, I think. I did okay, but I had to stop a couple of times up the hilly coast. I was on the full dose yesterday, and managed to walk home from work, but coming up the hill through the woods nearly killed me. I was a mess when I got home. I hope to drop the amount I take when I walk. Now the schools are nearly back in session, I hope all the tourists go home so I don't have to battle through or try to avoid them.

Thank you for your replies.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************