The Elements of Style, Strunk and White

last reply
9 replies
4.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
A "must read" reference book for all budding writers of any genre.

I have a copy in my bookcase. You can grab it online free, here.

Asserting that one must first know the rules to break them, this classic reference book is a must-have for any student and conscientious writer. Intended for use in which the practice of composition is combined with the study of literature, it gives in brief space the principal requirements of plain English style and concentrates attention on the rules of usage and principles of composition most commonly violated.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This is a great book. Simple, understandable and straight forward advice from a real master of prose. If you only have one style guide, this is the one it should be.
0 likes
Good old Strunk and White. I've owned a copy for decades. It was a text book for a high school English course and still resides on my bookshelf (not the high school copy, I bought another one years later). Nice to see it freely available.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i just checked it out. not really a lot of sex in it. does it get better and does it have a happy ending?

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Yeah, if you wanna write, this book is where you begin.

Plus, one of these guys (E B White) wrote Charlotte's Web, one of my favorite books of all time.
0 likes
Quote by sprite
i just checked it out. not really a lot of sex in it. does it get better and does it have a happy ending?

If you follow it's advice, your writing might improve (not that yours needs much improvement). Is that a happy ending?
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
S & W is not just a 'must read', it is a 'must re-read'.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I use that copy often in my writing. On Writing Well by William Zinsser is another good book to utilize, too.

www.szadvntures.com

Latest story:

• TBD

• Bump in the Night-Microfiction

• Smoke Break-Interracial

Primus Omnium
0 likes
I've had a copy of this book, in paperback form, since the 1960s when I was in college working on a degree in English. It's still on one of my bookshelves in my library-cum-sewing room.