Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Jelly - jam - preserve - what's it all about?

last reply
22 replies
2.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Head Penguin
0 likes
So in my fridge, I've got raspberry jam, ginger preserve and quince jelly. But it's all jam!

Am confuzzled
Is there a proper definition of what's what?

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

English Rose
0 likes
I think they're all different words for the same thing - fruit boiled with sugar so it has a long shelf life. I'd say the difference between jam and jelly would be the consistency of the finished product.

I adore lemon curd!
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/fetish/worship-my-bum.aspx
My new story has been awarded the Recommended Read. If you adore a needy bottom and fancy a short, but very naughty read...
Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by KatieElizabeth
I think they're all different words for the same thing - fruit boiled with sugar so it has a long shelf life. I'd say the difference between jam and jelly would be the consistency of the finished product.

I adore lemon curd!

Lemon curd! That's another one! And what's lemon cheese?!!

English Rose
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX

Lemon curd! That's another one! And what's lemon cheese?!!

Lemon curd and lemon cheese are the same thing. Lemon juice and rind, butter, sugar and eggs. On hot toast. Mmmmm!
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/fetish/worship-my-bum.aspx
My new story has been awarded the Recommended Read. If you adore a needy bottom and fancy a short, but very naughty read...
Candy Connoisseur
0 likes
Jelly is pseudo jam. Jelly wishes is was jam. Actually, jelly is what you make with crystals and set in the fridge. Its a dessert.
Site administrator
0 likes
I had a laugh at this since soon after I joined here someone said to me that for lunch they had consumed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich; erm what!!! After a while (UK here) I became aware that jelly is in UK terms jam. Initially I thought that member was nuts!!
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by simplyjohn
I had a laugh at this since soon after I joined here someone said to me that for lunch they had consumed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich; erm what!!! After a while (UK here) I became aware that jelly is in UK terms jam. Initially I thought that member was nuts!!

True, In the UK Jelly is a pudding generally dished up with ice cream at children's parties.
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Jam is made from the whole fruit.

Jelly is made from just the juice of the fruit.

Preserves are bits of fruit saved in their own juices and (usually) preservative chemicals to prolong their life...the chemicals are also thickening agents that give them that gel-like consistency that makes us confuse them with jam and jelly. They're also combinations of different fruits and can be infused with spices and such. You can make some really amazing fruit/flavor combinations with preserves.

I know this because making jams and jellies and preservatives is a hobby of my mom's, which she got from my grandmother...and kinda/sorta passed it on to me, although I'm not as big of an enthusiast as the two of them. This thread's making me all nostalgic.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Lurker
0 likes
When I started buying my own groceries, I realized I couldn't tell which of two "flavors" my parent had been buying. Finally, I decided if I couldn't tell, it probably didn't make that big a difference. Same with this.
Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by kiera

True, In the UK Jelly is a pudding generally dished up with ice cream at children's parties.

Quote by Dani
Jam is made from the whole fruit.

Jelly is made from just the juice of the fruit.

Preserves are bits of fruit saved in their own juices and (usually) preservative chemicals to prolong their life...

Yes, but jelly meaning jam seems to be English too! My gf says that jelly is de-seeded fruit jam. I think she might have a point.

She's also thrown conserve into the ring! What's a conserve and is it different to a preserve?

Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX

Yes, but jelly meaning jam seems to be English too! My gf says that jelly is de-seeded fruit jam. I think she might have a point.

She's also thrown conserve into the ring! What's a conserve and is it different to a preserve?

That's a great way to think of jelly, as that's literally what it is. It's just the juice of the fruit with the removal of seeds and pulp and anything else that isn't just the juice.

And I've no clue what a conserve is in this case. I've never heard of it in reference to the family of jams and jellies and the like.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by Dani

That's a great way to think of jelly, as that's literally what it is. It's just the juice of the fruit with the removal of seeds and pulp and anything else that isn't just the juice.

And I've no clue what a conserve is in this case. I've never heard of it in reference to the family of jams and jellies and the like.

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Jelly is when someone is jealous of you for putting out a sick ass jam like this.

Dumbasses.
Head Penguin
0 likes
Preserve is just bits of cooked fruit in jam, and conserve is dried fruit seeped in jelly (jam). If in doubt, ask your Gran.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by simplyjohn

giggles... I know.. I love nuances... in Bavaria 'preservatives' r condoms ... as is a XXXX in California .. a XXXX in Aussie is a best selling Queensland beer...

Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by hayley

giggles... I know.. I love nuances... in Bavaria 'preservatives' r condoms ... as is a XXXX in California .. a XXXX in Aussie is a best selling Queensland beer...

Ha ha, I forgot this. In Czech it's prezervativ but most people just say kondom

Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX

I don't know how to make jam because I don't like it and TBH I make terrible jelly too it always turns into a blob on a plate

To me Jam is jam and something that you have in a sandwich ect or in the centre of a cake and Jelly is a wobbly kids pudding.

I have googled this for you and hope it helps. Seems to me just to be a more softer spreadable jam that when I looked at closer goes with cream teas.

Because of this shorter cooking period, not as much pectin will be released from the fruit, and as such, conserves (particularly home-made conserves) will sometimes be slightly softer set than some jams. An alternative definition holds that conserves are preserves made from a mixture of fruits and/or vegetables.

A cream tea.
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Lady GlitterGiggles
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
Jelly is when someone is jealous of you for putting out a sick ass jam like this.

Dumbasses.

I'll be singing this all day~it is a sick ass jam though
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Conserve is vegetables in jars or cans.
A little kindness can be so valuable, yet costs almost nothing

In many countries being gay is a crime, and even in modern societies, politicians try to legalise discrimination. Your voice can make a difference. Have a look at All Out to find out how.

Hey... pssst.... that's an l (as in luscious) at the end of my name, not an i
Story Verifier
0 likes
Sorry, can't help here but I do know a joke about Jam....

A man was very lonely after his wife had died and decided to get a pet to keep him company. He went to the pet shop and the owner took him around the shop to try and find the pet he wanted. The man didn't like any of them until the pet shop owner showed him a hamster. The pet shop owner said "This is a special hamster when it dies you can make really good raspberry jam out of it."

So the man thought this sounded good and bought the hamster. The next day the hamster died. The man was annoyed, but he remembered the pet shop owner comment, so he decided to make raspberry jam out of it. The next morning he ate the jam with his toast for breakfast. It tasted so horrible that he spat it out of the window, then threw the rest of the pot out as well. The next day there were lots of bright red tulips out growing outside the window.

And the moral of the story ................ you get Tulips from Hamster-jam !
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
Lurker
0 likes
Having made jam and jellies since I was young, here is the scoop...

Jelly: fruit juice only. No pulp or skins.

Jam: whole fruit, crushed, most includes skins.

Preserves: fancy name for jam

All are yummy! This year, I tried something new, since I had way too many cantaloupe from the garden... I made jam out of it.. YUM! Summer in a jar!
Lurker
0 likes
it's really all about eating it .. giggles..

black currant red wine jam on sour dough.. yummy..