Login

Seasonal stories

last reply
2 replies
1.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
Christmas, Halloween, New Year's, other festivals and holidays. We all try our hand at them at some point, I think.

How far ahead do you start your seasonal stories?

I just started a Christmas story in hopes that I'll actually get it finished by Christmas this year (and as a way of relighting my nearly extinguished creative fires). My last one was written over the holidays but was, IIRC, not finished and posted until January because I started too close to the season.

That said, I worry that by starting too early I might miss out on a seasonal comp or something.

How early is too early? Do you start seasonal stories well ahead in hopes of getting them up in time or do you need to be close to the holiday in question to have enough inspiration (and pressure) to write it?
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
When inspiration strikes.

I've only written one though

Guess I'm not that inspired
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Not a good idea to wait incase they run a comp. If they run as "holiday" comp it might not be what you expect.. Like the one for Valentine's day last year. It was a poem with restrictions not a story. If your creative juices do not flow that way you hung around for nothing. Start the story when inspiration strikes you... Even if it is Christmas in July. You can always hold the story until the season is right and then publish. If I do not strike when the iron is hot I am usually left out in the cold with just a few lines or paragraphs. An unfisihed work is no work at all.