What have you been reading this year?

last reply
5 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
For my money, the best novel I've read this year is unquestionably Patricia Highsmith's 'The Price of Salt'. It was her second work (published in 1952 under the pseudonym Claire Morgan), coming out two years after her classic 'Strangers on a Train'. It is a poignant and beautifully-written lesbian love story.

What makes it extra-exciting is that 24th November is the US release date for the movie of the book: 'Carol', starring Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara, and directed by Todd Haynes. It has already received a 95% score on Rotten Tomatoes' Tomatometre.

I would strongly advise you to read the book first. Reprints are starting to emerge on the internet (go to the admirable www.abebooks.co.uk for the best secondhand bargains). But if you want an original Bantam Books first edition, it's going to set you back $90!
Lurker
0 likes
I’ve never read The Price of Salt, but Patricia Highsmith’s Ripley novels are right up there on my list of favourites. I’ve read all of them several times, but as it’s been a while since I’ve done so, they are probably due for another perusing.

With that in mind, maybe I’ll give The Price of Salt a read as well.
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Quote by pentup47
For my money, the best novel I've read this year is unquestionably Patricia Highsmith's 'The Price of Salt'. It was her second work (published in 1952 under the pseudonym Claire Morgan), coming out two years after her classic 'Strangers on a Train'. It is a poignant and beautifully-written lesbian love story.

What makes it extra-exciting is that 24th November is the US release date for the movie of the book: 'Carol', starring Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara, and directed by Todd Haynes. It has already received a 95% score on Rotten Tomatoes' Tomatometre.

I would strongly advise you to read the book first. Reprints are starting to emerge on the internet (go to the admirable www.abebooks.co.uk for the best secondhand bargains). But if you want an original Bantam Books first edition, it's going to set you back $90!

Thanks for the recommendation! I saw a trailer for the film last night and it looked very impressive. Will definitely check out the book.

And I have come late to, and have been devouring, Phil Rickman's Merrily Watkins series. Perhaps not terrible highbrow but thought provoking and a very good read.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I've mostly been reading non-fiction recently. Found an interesting "History of walls" by Claude Quétel, although I don't believe it has been translated in english. Also, "Sexonomics" by Paul Seabright, a very good work about gender relations.

As background, long-term reading, I've been trying to get into Ibn Khaldun, although that has proven quite a challenge as I need to constantly go to more modern works for full understanding. It is however absolutley brilliant, and some of the best work I've ever read in social sciences so far.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Lately,The City and the Pillar by Gore Vidal,and from my past,The Faerie Queene.Which one depends on the mood I'm in at the time.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Text books and journal articles... and more journal articles.... blah.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.