Login

Love

last reply
27 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
Do the words "Love you" and "I love you", have the same meaning at the end of a message?
Lurker
0 likes
Had to think about that! The kids say "Love you." My husband says "I love you." I think "Love you" is signing off instead of saying "Goodbye" but it actually means love. Like a kiss on the cheek or a greeting or parting hug. "I love you" is a more definite statement, inferring (to me, anyway) a commitment. Maybe it's all how both are said, not the actual wording.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't think the words mean as much as how they're said. A man who can look me straight in the eye with a slight smile and a tilted head will bag me for sure....
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
I think that Cyndy is on to something. "Love you" is like a quick kiss from my husband and back to life.
An "I love you" is a stop, look in each other's eyes and a deep, meaningful kiss. It's a solid break from everything else in our lives.
? A True Story ?
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Nope. I say "Love you" to lots of people. I only say "I love you" to a select few!
Υπηρέτης της Αφροδίτης
0 likes
Love is just a word, to describe a whole range of emotions. Today, stripped of its romantic connotations, it's thrown around like confetti. It has little meaning.
In the world's harsh wear and tear many a very sincere attachment is slowly obliterated.

Είμαι ταξιδιώτης τόσο στο χρόνο όσο και στο διάστημα
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Love you - is a general term.
I Love you is more specific - Used a lot during sex .
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Love you has become just a greeting (sadly)
personally ii don't use the L word unless i mean it. but i do think even then there definitely is a difference.
Lurker
0 likes
a wonderful feeling if you can find it and it is returned.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
Nope. I say "Love you" to lots of people. I only say "I love you" to a select few!

THIS !!! ... and I don't mean it casually either. When I say "Love you" to a friend it is because that friend is special to me. "Love you" is not necessarily romantic or sexy.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
An interesting question. The cynic in me wants to say "I love you until something better comes along," might more completely describe the phrase for most folks. I know that in the past, "I love you" was tossed around by many guys to talk young women out of their panties, but seldom repeated after the deed was done. Despite that, I still believe that the old fashioned notion still happens, although less common in these days where sexual exclusivity is less and less common. I'll duck now.
Lurker
0 likes
Interesting thought. I'd agree with most that have posted.
'Love you' is general
'I love you' is specific, has more meaning.

Makes me think of love and in love, they are different as well.
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
agreed. love you seems more casual and i love you reserved for more intimate times.

Say. Her. Name.

Troublemaker
0 likes
I think it depends on context and of course the state of the relationship...and I sure hope its being said face to face and not just text messages but for example; two messages:

1) My darling. You are my air. Love you.

2) Hope dinner's on the table when I get home. I love you

Which message would you rather get?
Punkarama
0 likes
I think love is one of the easiest emotions to feel and one of the hardest words to say, especially when you mean it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
One is more casual and platonic than the other. Not sure if that is the correct adjective to use, but you get the idea. Usually it is said in texts between parents and children, friends, or just as a nice goodbye.
I love you is more meaningful, intimate, usually between two partners or spouses.

0 likes
I agree with those saying that saying "I love you" means something different than "Love you". "Love you" is more of a casual thing. I say it to friends, for instance, and call even people I don't know well "love", as in "Have a good day, love."

Saying "I love you" is reserved for close family--my sons, my brother, my sister-in-law, my nephew, and of course my darling s/o.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
fuck it. i love all of you. I. Love. All of you.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by LYFBUZ
I think it depends on context and of course the state of the relationship...and I sure hope its being said face to face and not just text messages but for example; two messages:

1) My darling. You are my air. Love you.

2) Hope dinner's on the table when I get home. I love you

Which message would you rather get?

#2 cause i'm freaking starving right now. dinner will be on the table, but it's gonna be half gone before you even pull into the drive way.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

0 likes
I was at work, and at the time I was dating a woman who was obsessed with saying and hearing 'I love you' every time we talked on the phone, especially before hanging up. I'm more the "it should be a given that I love you" if I say it every so often. Ive never been the touchy feely emotionally needy clingy type. Anyway, I was so used to saying "Okay, bye, I love you" that I said it to my coworker.

Rob; Ok, bye Lynda
Me; bye, I love you

****awkward silence...crickets....*****

Rob: I...love you, too....Lynda

Me; can't speak, to embarrassed....

Ugh! I think to this day he thinks I was in love with him! Argh!

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Simmerdownchick
I was at work, and at the time I was dating a woman who was obsessed with saying and hearing 'I love you' every time we talked on the phone, especially before hanging up. I'm more the "it should be a given that I love you" if I say it every so often. Ive never been the touchy feely emotionally needy clingy type. Anyway, I was so used to saying "Okay, bye, I love you" that I said it to my coworker.

Rob; Ok, bye Lynda
Me; bye, I love you

****awkward silence...crickets....*****

Rob: I...love you, too....Lynda

Me; can't speak, to embarrassed....

Ugh! I think to this day he thinks I was in love with him! Argh!

Simmerdown said it exactly how I feel. "Love means never having to say I love you." If I have to prove how I feel about you more than once a day, fuck you.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
I feel that if it is too much trouble to say I love you, or if expressing it is somehow embarrassing, then there is likely little passion in the relationship. To me, that is a huge problem.

Why wouldn't I want to express my love often? It's wrong to think of it as being expected. We SHOULD be thinking of it as something we WANT to do.
0 likes
Quote by Cyndy
Had to think about that! The kids say "Love you." My husband says "I love you." I think "Love you" is signing off instead of saying "Goodbye" but it actually means love. Like a kiss on the cheek or a greeting or parting hug. "I love you" is a more definite statement, inferring (to me, anyway) a commitment. Maybe it's all how both are said, not the actual wording.

Totally agree.. I have several friends,I will say "love you" to as a bye. I hate the word bye, it is way to final, like you will never see the person again. I will some times say " See ya" but as for as " I love you" that is saved for Milik or my children or people very close to me, mostly family.

As far as how often I say " I love you" I say it as often as I can. You are not promised a tomorrow.
Click below to see

0 likes
Love birds.....

Milik and Simplicity sitting in a tree, k.i.s.s.i.n.g..............LOL!

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

Unfuckwithable
0 likes
Quote by Simplicity

Totally agree.. I have several friends,I will say "love you" to as a bye. I hate the word bye, it is way to final, like you will never see the person again. I will some times say " See ya" but as for as " I love you" that is saved for Milik or my children or people very close to me, mostly family.

As far as how often I say " I love you" I say it as often as I can. You are not promised a tomorrow.

I agree with the general consensus here. Love you is an alternative to good bye and I love you is reserved for those you really love. I.E. In some couples, if one needs to be constantly told "I love you", that seems 'needy' to me. I often tell Amy I love her because I do and I want her to know how I feel. It's not because she wants to hear it all the time.
You should first read this Looky Here!!

and then this Free stuff

then say 'Hi'
0 likes
Thank you for all your comments, since i started this thread back in December2015, its proably run its course now. In general the consensus is that "love you", is an alternative to byee and "I love you", has a deeper more emotional meaning.
Again thank you for all your comments.
Jacqui
Love you
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Cyndy

I don't think you could've said it better. I agree.
Lurker
0 likes
Love you and I love you, when these words come from me, I mean them from the bottom of my heart. To me they are serious words. I do not use them as "how are you?" If I use these words, I truly love that individual.