R.I.P. David Bowie

last reply
47 replies
4.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
I am shocked and saddened by the news that David Bowie has passed away.

He is one of my favourite artists of all time. Constantly reinventing himself, brilliantly creative. He was an incredibly special and talented man.

R.I.P. you beautiful man.

Internet Philosopher
0 likes
I have just read about this. It is a sad and tragic day. He was a unique and talented man.
Mazztastic
0 likes

I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring.

David Bowie

RIP Thin White Duke

What a legacy to leave behind...

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
This can't be true,and even if it is,I shan't believe it.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
I am shocked and saddened by the news that David Bowie has passed away.

He is one of my favourite artists of all time. Constantly reinventing himself, brilliantly creative. He was an incredibly special and talented man.

R.I.P. you beautiful man.

I met him TWICE!!!

(In the late '80s I deejayed a Member's Club in Dublin called The Pink Elephant. Bowie arrived, and DANCED. (I WISH I could remember the tune but I cannot. There was a GENUINE aura around the man... I've met A LOT of famous people but he was... DIFFERENT...)

In the late 1990s my sister Vee had the Cafe Concession at a rehearsal studios in Dublin called The Factory. (I was helping her out between chefs...) Bowie was there for a few weeks. He'd come in every day for his lunch. Sausage beans and chips. The most UNASSUMING person. At the end of his stay at the Factory he performed an hour-long set in his rehearsal suite for the people who worked there. He played mostly back catalogue. WHAT A LOVELY MAN!)

Really DEVASATED at his departure. (An ARTIST in the true sense of that over-used word...)

xx SF
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I saw David Bowie in concert in the 80s. He was an amazing artist and his unique views helped shape my perception of the world. I'm really sad to hear this news.
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

I met him TWICE!!!

(In the late '80s I deejayed a Member's Club in Dublin called The Pink Elephant. Bowie arrived, and DANCED. (I WISH I could remember the tune but I cannot. There was a GENUINE aura around the man... I've met A LOT of famous people but he was... DIFFERENT...)

In the late 1990s my sister Vee had the Cafe Concession at a rehearsal studios in Dublin called The Factory. (I was helping her out between chefs...) Bowie was there for a few weeks. He'd come in every day for his lunch. Sausage beans and chips. The most UNASSUMING person. At the end of his stay at the Factory he performed an hour-long set in his rehearsal suite for the people who worked there. He played mostly back catalogue. WHAT A LOVELY MAN!)

Really DEVASATED at his departure. (An ARTIST in the true sense of that over-used word...)

xx SF

He always seemed very down to Earth in interviews I watched...Thank you for confirming that...lol sausage chips and beans...I'm not a fan of beans but its proper Brit grub except they usually eat sausage egg chips and beans...I don't because I don't like beans or eggs or sausages to be honest...I am really gutted he is gone.

I remember being a young girl (ages ago it seems ) and my brother and I listen to Little China Girl and laughed and were shocked when he sang " oh baby, just you shut your mouth" because in those days people didn't say such things in songs or not to our knowledge.

OK its got to be done.

The ultimate classic

The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Lurker
0 likes
An amazing talented icon RIP x
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

You helped me to make sense of myself...

Check ignition, and may God's love be with you.
Lurker
0 likes
My mom's cush....

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
So sad to hear of his passing. So many stars are referred to as Icons, but he truly was an Icon! R.I.P David Bowie

Lurker
0 likes
rip ziggy stardust may you dance into the serious moonlight ,, leaving ground control on it own .... ashes to ashes.. and the way you left world in private and dignity should be appaulded ...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Peri

Noticed you POSTED on your own thread before UPLOADING here... THANK YOU for sharing with us!!! (Shit day for ART!!!) And, OF COURSE, HE WOULD LAUGH AT THAT STATEMENT!!!

(But it kind of is...)

xx SF

(Had NOT SEEN THIS CLIP... AM ACTUALLY WEEPING... He was EXACTLY like this when I SAW HIM LIVE... *sobs!*)

Linked FROM THIS CLIP to 'ASHES TO ASHES' live... (HE MUST HAVE BEEN AWARE OF WHAT HE WAS TO US!!!) And yet, he PLAYS IT like something he JUST DOES...)

I MIGHT BE the ONLY PERSON ON THE PLANET who heard HIM say, "I like your sausages, Steve..."

(I ONLY HOPE his FAMILY can find SOME KIND OF CONSOLATION in the fact that HE INSPIRED THOUSANDS to explore MUSIC, STYLE, ART and MAGIC...)

*ACTUALLY CRYING...*
0 likes
My tribute to Bowie from my other board:

Can you hear me, Major Tom?

The last thing I expect to hear when I woke up this morning was that David Bowie had died. After all, he just turned 69 and put out a new album last week. But apparently he had been battling cancer for the last 18 months.

I can't be sure when I first heard Bowie, who was active in the music industry for most of my 50 years, but the earliest I can recall was his famous appearance on Bing Crosby's 1977 Christmas special. He sang "The Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth" with Bing (which you can find in the Christmas music thread) and, IIRC, "Space Oddity". Later came his amazing team-up with Queen on "Under Pressure" (featuring another late great, Freddy Mercury, swapping vocal licks with Bowie) and his entry into the music video era with "Let's Dance", "Modern Love", and "Blue Jean". Other classic Bowie music, like his trilogy of albums with Brian Eno, came into my life later.

Of course, Bowie was also an actor, appearing in memorable roles in The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Hunger, Labyrinth, and others. His performance as the slick, sinister Goblin King in Labyrinth is probably my favorite of his film roles. Even in his music career, he was something of an actor, though, creating characters or personae that changed throughout his career. Ziggy Stardust, the Thin White Duke, and more. It was hard to tell who was the real David Bowie.

Beyond his own contributions, Bowie was also an influential musician. From glam rock in the eighties to contemporary alt-rockers like Arcade Fire (of whom Bowie was an early fan and booster), numerous musicians and bands cite him as an influence on their music, their style, or both. That influence will likely go on for at least another generation as new audiences find him through Youtube and digital streaming.

As I've already said, Bowie was active in the music business pretty much all my life and I became a fan in a time when I really wasn't all that into rock music. I remain a fan today. His final album Black Star is sitting in Google Play on my phone waiting to be listened to. It isn't often that the death of a "celebrity" upsets me, but losing Bowie does. He is one of the few I can think of who deserved the attention, who deserved the accolades.

RIP, David. And my thoughts are going out to his family. It is hard enough to lose a family member when you're an "ordinary joe" but to have it be the top story of the day on many news services can only make it harder, I suspect.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm stuck with a valuable friend. I'm happy, hope your'e happy too.

Too soon. Fuck.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Ziggy played guitar.............Thanks for the legacy Mr. Jones...R.I.P
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

Noticed you POSTED on your own thread before UPLOADING here... THANK YOU for sharing with us!!! (Shit day for ART!!!) And, OF COURSE, HE WOULD LAUGH AT THAT STATEMENT!!!

(But it kind of is...)

xx SF

(Had NOT SEEN THIS CLIP... AM ACTUALLY WEEPING... He was EXACTLY like this when I SAW HIM LIVE... *sobs!*)

Linked FROM THIS CLIP to 'ASHES TO ASHES' live... (HE MUST HAVE BEEN AWARE OF WHAT HE WAS TO US!!!) And yet, he PLAYS IT like something he JUST DOES...)

I MIGHT BE the ONLY PERSON ON THE PLANET who heard HIM say, "I like your sausages, Steve..."

(I ONLY HOPE his FAMILY can find SOME KIND OF CONSOLATION in the fact that HE INSPIRED THOUSANDS to explore MUSIC, STYLE, ART and MAGIC...)

*ACTUALLY CRYING...*

Aww Steph you're crying like my mom who is a faithful follower of David Bowie. She actually had a crush on him in her teens. You can find so much of David Bowie in her house in London. This morning she rang me and I could hear nothing but her sobs and sighs. Anyway, I created a thread here in remembrance of David but soon Liz told us to move to similar thread created by Nicola (Your mother? I read somewhere :P). And further posting on my thread was ceased by someone as if they were in possession of a magical wand....
So if you promise not to cry any more, I'll post another clip of David Bowiesmile
The Linebacker
0 likes
The dude was a musical super talent and genius and his ability to reinvent himself demonstrated his marketing genius too. He left a true legacy.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
An incredibly talented and influential man.
R.I.P David Bowie.
Now at peace.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
One of the most versatile performer in the history of music. R.I.P David Bowie.
Lurker
0 likes
Great Man, Great Music, Great Loss R.I.P
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Bowie became a hero when I was introduced to his music by an older friend as a pre-teen in the late 70s . She had liberal parents who let her have a gang of friends round to listen to records while they were out. Bowie was the number 1 choice of listening and we'd spend hours dissecting the lyrics (we were completely wrong of course) we thought we were so sophisticated. I'm proud that I've been able to introduce my teenage daughter to his music and that she gets it too. Life on Mars will always be in my playlist. David Bowie, Genius and Hero. RIP.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Anyone of our generation who's had any pretensions to a career in the arts would have david bowie as a huge figure of inspiration.

RIP David Bowie "The Man Who Fell to Earth".
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
I can't say i was a huge fan - it has nothing to do with me not liking his music, but i've never seen him, i don't own any cds of his. that said, there is no denying his influence and his innovation. he was constantly reinventing himself - even without knowing a lot of his catalogue, i know a bowie song when i hear it, and i know a lot of his music simply through osmosis. to those of you who are hurting over this, i get it. it's a huge loss, both universally and personally. i hope that you can take solace in his music. as i said, i don't own any of his music, but i just ordered Black Star today. it just seemed like the right thing to do. i'm also a little sad for my uncle, who loved Bowie's music. he told me, earlier, that the first album he ever bought was Station to Station, so i ordered that too. i even know one of the songs on it...

okay, laugh all you want, but the first song i thought of when i heard the new was Modern Love. it made me want to dance.

Really, he touched everyone who was a fan of music.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.