Enter key issue with Android phone

last reply
22 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Anyone else having this issue - in my Android device the return key is working like a carriage return and not like send / submit. Just started happening. Not sure if it is Lush or my phone but it makes it impossible to send a response to a black box message.
Chat Moderator
0 likes
I have an android also, and so far, have not had this issue.
Code Monkey
0 likes
Quote by DreamKnight
Anyone else having this issue - in my Android device the return key is working like a carriage return and not like send / submit. Just started happening. Not sure if it is Lush or my phone but it makes it impossible to send a response to a black box message.

Can you clear your browser cache and try again for me. When you hit the enter key does the box grey out at all, or does this line feed behavior happen from the beginning?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by gav

Can you clear your browser cache and try again for me. When you hit the enter key does the box grey out at all, or does this line feed behavior happen from the beginning?

I cleared cache and restarted my phone. No change. It does the line feed immediately. Has worked fine until today. Really strange.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by gav

I switched from chrome to Firefox and Firefox seems to work like Chrome used to.
Code Monkey
0 likes
Quote by DreamKnight

I switched from chrome to Firefox and Firefox seems to work like Chrome used to.

Maybe there's been an update to chrome that's broken something. Chrome on windows seems to work fine. Is there such a thing as a javascript console on your android version?
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
I'm posting this using Chrome (47) on android 5.0.

Return seems to be working fine for me.

I'm using the standard keyboard as opposed to a third party app like SwiftKey.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Liz
I'm posting this using Chrome (47) on android 5.0.

Return seems to be working fine for me.

I'm using the standard keyboard as opposed to a third party app like SwiftKey.

I'm on Chrome (48) on Android 5.1 with the "factory" Google keyboard. I've searched for similar issues posted on the web and haven't found any. It's really strange. At least Firefox works.
Lurker
0 likes
I am having the same issue. Droid razor max and just updated chrome thru google play. I am experiencing the same as DreamKnight. I also cleared my cache.
Lurker
0 likes
Still having this issue. Any idea what's going on?
Lurker
0 likes
It's an Android compatibility issue of some sort? Though I can't pinpoint exactly what it is?
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
I guess Chrome dropped support for `KeyboardEvent.keyCode`.

From Lush's code (`e.keyCode==13` references the Enter key here):

[code]$('#smsmessage').bind('keypress', function(e) {
if(e.keyCode==13){
$('#sendsms').click();
e.preventDefault();
}
});[/code]

On the Mozilla Developer Network page about KeyboardEvent.keyCode it says:

Deprecated
This feature has been removed from the Web standards. Though some browsers may still support it, it is in the process of being dropped. Do not use it in old or new projects. Pages or Web apps using it may break at any time.

So other browsers may perhaps follow soon.

Normally, when typing in a textareas, an enter does not trigger a form submit, so I can imagine that some people will be (unpleasantly) surprised to see their message being sent when they were not ready to send it. It would be nice if this was a feature that requires opt-in.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by BiMale73
Technical stuff...

And that's how you get yourself a 'Bug Slayer' badge, lol. smile
Charming as fuck
0 likes
or you could do what i did and save gav's sexy legs from the mozzies

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by BiMale73
I guess Chrome dropped support for `KeyboardEvent.keyCode`.

From Lush's code (`e.keyCode==13` references the Enter key here):

[code]$('#smsmessage').bind('keypress', function(e) {
if(e.keyCode==13){
$('#sendsms').click();
e.preventDefault();
}
});[/code]

On the Mozilla Developer Network page about KeyboardEvent.keyCode it says:

So other browsers may perhaps follow soon.

Normally, when typing in a textareas, an enter does not trigger a form submit, so I can imagine that some people will be (unpleasantly) surprised to see their message being sent when they were not ready to send it. It would be nice if this was a feature that requires opt-in.

Thank you. Damn, you're good.

Ughh. That also sucks though!
0 likes
Quote by Liz

And that's how you get yourself a 'Bug Slayer' badge, lol. smile

Realy?
\o/

0 likes
Quote by Barbielicious

Thank you. Damn, you're good.

Thanks, but I'm sure we all have specific knowledge related to our professions. This one just happens to be mine.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by BiMale73

Thanks, but I'm sure we all have specific knowledge related to our professions. This one just happens to be mine.

You're welcome. It's kind of hot! Lmaooo.
0 likes
Quote by Barbielicious

You're welcome. It's kind of hot! Lmaooo.

Tell that to Gav, I'm just yelling from the side-line ;)

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I had this when using the google standard keyboard. When I changed to swiftkey, it was fine. Seems that might be the issue.
0 likes
Quote by Crapbag123
I had this when using the google standard keyboard. When I changed to swiftkey, it was fine. Seems that might be the issue.

That suggests the issue occurs outside of the browser, while the 'it happens in Chrome but not in Firefox' suggests it is in fact a browser issue. Weird

Code Monkey
0 likes
Quote by BiMale73

That suggests the issue occurs outside of the browser, while the 'it happens in Chrome but not in Firefox' suggests it is in fact a browser issue. Weird

Thanks for the investigation. No de-obfuscation of my code! *slaps*

I've put in some more robust code around the keycode checks.

Android fragmentation is a bitch.
Lurker
0 likes
For those of us that are completely lost when the code speak begins... does this mean that it can not be fixed?