questions about revising, not editing, an old story

last reply
3 replies
1.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I have a question, mostly likely for a story mod, though anyone should feel free to chime in.

The first story I wrote (though it's not the first one I posted here -- maybe the 2nd or 3rd) is starting to stick out like a sore thumb, at least to me.

It's the first chapter in a series, and while I think the series itself has some strong installments (ch 2 got a RR), chapter 1 has a very different feel. In hindsight, I don't particularly like it. Not so much the plot of the story itself, but more how I wrote it.

There are some obvious and easy issues, such as the fact that it's in the present tense, and all subsequent installments in the past.

More importantly to me, I don't particularly like how I got the two main characters together. At some point, when I have time, I'd like to give the chapter a fairly major re-write, to include a few technical things, but also to change the chapter significantly. Again, not so much in terms of WHAT happens, but rather in terms of HOW it happens. The same events need to happen in order to lead into chapter 2.

So, my question is, at what point does revising a story become making it a new story? That chapter has a healthy number of views and votes (22k, 26). If I re-write it extensively, when does it cease to be the story that all those people viewed and voted on?

Also, at a technical level, the amount of tinkering I'd want to do would go far beyond what I could do directly in the story editing panel. I'd have to paste my re-write into the edit window, which I understand makes things harder for whichever mod takes it on.

This is absolutely NOT a pressing concern. I don't have the time to tackle this project right now, but I'm curious to hear feedback.
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Hmm. Here's the deal. If you wanted to revamp your series extensively and repost it as a new offering, you *could*, but you'd have to take the original down. We don't allow two copies of essentially the same story to exist under one author. That means you'd lose all the views and votes that come with it.

You could also do the revamping into the old series spot, but you wouldn't get it on the front page again, because you're just putting it into the old spot.

Regardless of which way you decide, I would advise that you get a mod on board to work with you on reverifying it, BEFORE you send it in. That way, you know you won't have to explain yourself to multiple moderators.

Hope that helps make up your mind on it. smile
Lurker
0 likes
Thank you, that's very helpful. I absolutely don't care about having another shot at the front page, but I would kind of mind losing the views and votes.

It's only the first chapter that I'd want to revise anyway. I think when and if I do, I'll just have it replace the one I'm unhappy with.

I'll take your advice about finding a mod ahead of time so that s/he knows what's up. Would the way to go be to find an agreeable mod, and then put a "save for so-and-so" message in the note to mod for re-verification?
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Quote by oceanrunner1974
Thank you, that's very helpful. I absolutely don't care about having another shot at the front page, but I would kind of mind losing the views and votes.

It's only the first chapter that I'd want to revise anyway. I think when and if I do, I'll just have it replace the one I'm unhappy with.

I'll take your advice about finding a mod ahead of time so that s/he knows what's up. Would the way to go be to find an agreeable mod, and then put a "save for so-and-so" message in the note to mod for re-verification?

Yes, that works just about every time. smile Happy to help.
Lurker
0 likes
LEO Privacy is a nice app to protect our data like photos ,video, archives, texts, etc., specially anti-thief is best one and its capture and good app install it and be happy for personals, make your smartphone safe!