last reply
6 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Hi
In my last story, my cutting and pasting caused some formatting problems on submission. These were not apparent to me in the submission box.

From what the mod told me, and from what I could discern from the "see edits" page, most of my paragraphs had an extra carriage return in between.

The problem may be in how I compose my stories. I prefer to compose in google docs. However, for times that I know that I either will be away from wifi, or when I need not to run down my battery as much (google docs' constant updating drains battery a lot faster), I will often copy my google doc text into a word doc and work there. When I can go back to google docs, I copy and paste from word back to google.

Most of the time, at least from my end, the text looks just fine. The paragraphs translate over seamlessly. There have been times, however, when going from word to google that all my paragraphs lose the carriage return at the end of the paragraphs, and I've had to add them by hand. (And it doesn't seem to me that I'm doing anything different at any time).

Most recently, the pasting looked just fine from *my* end, even to the point of looking fine in the submission box. But many of my paragraphs presumably had to be reformatted by the mod (gratitude for her patience!).

Any tips for tweaking my settings either in word or google for avoiding these problems?
Many thanks!
The Linebacker
0 likes
I get that same formatting problem when I copy and paste my text from Mac Pages into the text submission box. Yes, the extra line space, along with some other spacing/format issues.

The solution is to copy your text and paste into a 'private message' here on Lush to yourself. Then copy the text from your received pm and paste that into the text submission box. The only problem is that you lose your italics or bolds. But it is a lot easier to reapply any italics and bolds rather than have to fix all those spacing issues.
Lurker
0 likes
Thanks so much. I was hoping there would be an easier way. But I can't really experiment because I don't see the version that comes to the mods. Something like messing with the "remove line space after paragraph" option in word or something along those lines.

If your workaround works, I'll definitely try it.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Buz is spot on here.

I had a break from Microsoft Word and once used a program called WPS Writer, and my text was totally fucked when I copied and pasted it to the submission box.

A lovely lady called Jen (Echelon) advised me to message it to myself, then copy and paste the text from my message to the submissions box. It worked perfectly, and I've not had any problem since.

I've had a bit of a thing for Jen ever since, but don't tell her I told you that.
Lurker
0 likes
I wonder if using notepad or textedit would also work, and then stripping rich text from the text. Probably more or less the same thing as using the lush pm window, and you'd lose italics and whatnot.
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
I use Open Office, by Apache. Great suite of programs, very comparable to Microsoft Office, without the silly formatting issues people usually see with other programs.

Also, it's free. smile
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
I wasn't aware that italics would paste in anyway. It's never worked for me. I've had to add those back in after pasting on every submission.

Quote by Buz
I get that same formatting problem when I copy and paste my text from Mac Pages into the text submission box. Yes, the extra line space, along with some other spacing/format issues.

The solution is to copy your text and paste into a 'private message' here on Lush to yourself. Then copy the text from your received pm and paste that into the text submission box. The only problem is that you lose your italics or bolds. But it is a lot easier to reapply any italics and bolds rather than have to fix all those spacing issues.
Lurker
0 likes
The most fantastic applock ever is LEO Privacy, besides having hide videos/files/images and lock apps function, it also can provide you anti-thief, calling interception and break-in alert functions