Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Who do I contact about a mistake I found?

last reply
24 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I'm trying to get a story published and it was turned down yet again. So I turned to the guides. I turned to the section on dialogue because based on the feed back I figured I needed to take another look at that area. And that is when I found this as an example:

"You were told to come home before midnight weren't you?" She said, I nodded "well then what excuse do you have for being so late?"
And below was used as how the example should be.
"You were told to come home before midnight, weren't you?" she said. I nodded. "Well then! What excuse do you have for being so late?"
The above example is an example of bad writing. This example needs to be changed or removed. It doesn't set a good example for people who are trying to learn how to write well. I wouldn't write that line using those words in that exact way but if I had to this is how I would show a newbie how to correct the situation:
"You were told to come home before midnight, weren't you?" she said; and as I nodded, she was giving me a disappointed look as she continued, "Well then! What excuse do you have for being so late?"
Still there is always an endless way to do the same line. That is where style comes in to play. Style is what make a writer who they are. Our style is our own so don't be a drone. Here is another example of how the same line can be written.
"You were told to come home before midnight," her foot: tapping on the ground as her voice shows her irritation, "weren't you?" I nod as the sound of her impatient foot keeps on; and she says, "Well then," scornful eyes look down upon the teenager, "what excuse do you have for being so late?"
There are many examples of many rules being in play in the above example. I almost made the above example much more complex because of my style but I made it more simple for the sake of teaching. One rule, in the above example, I will talk about is that if a transition is seamless then it doesn't need any punctuation. How do you know if something is seamless? There is no real answer to this. Experience is the only way.
Back to my issue: why are examples of bad writing being used to teach people? Lush needs to get someone to get in there and revamp the help section.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Where is the mistake you referred to in your thread title?
Lurker
0 likes
It is a mistake to show people, who are trying to learn how to write, an example of bad writing.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by CheifPussyPop
It is a mistake to show people, who are trying to learn how to write, an example of bad writing.

I absolutely agree. One of the reasons I hope no one who reads this thread will attempt to emulate what you have written.

Your dialogue examples are horrible. Sorry.
Primus Omnium
0 likes
Quote by CheifPussyPop

I believe the examples you are talking about are simply to show one correct grammar and punctuation. They aren't intended to teach one to write with a certain style. Everyone has their own writing style. But we all should use proper grammar and punctuation in normal situations.
Also, did you mean to misspell "chief" in your user name? Spelling it "cheif" is an example of poor spelling, unless you are making some kind of statement.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
In my opinion, bad writing is a subjective opinion and not a relevant standard for everyone. Expression of notions and ideas will come in various forms and manner and should be enjoyed as the author intended. English is an imperfect language. We all make the best of it as we can. Trial and error is part of the process. Good luck on your writing. Look forward to reading your work.
Lurker
0 likes
@warlock It is bad writing because 'I nodded.' should be on it's own line or the continuation of the quote should be put on a new line and who is talking should be reestablished. By reassuring the source of the voice. Thank you. I hope you do and I hope you like it.
@Green_Man it is pronounced chef the 'i' is silent. You're are the first to even ask about that. Everyone just assumes I miss spelled it. It is a name and name don't have any correct way of spelling them.
@Liz don't feel sorry for me. Though it is a shame you feel that way.
Lurker
0 likes
For MY FREQUENT AND VARIOUS SINS, I remain a LOYAL supporter of the LS Story Mod Team...

Writing POSTABLE COPY is not as easy here as it is on OTHER SITES!!!

(Basic Rules Apply...)

Quality MATTERS!

It is NOT the obligation of LS story Mods to EDIT copy. (It IS their job to say WHY submitted copy is problematical, and in that case, guidelines are indicated...)

LS Mods, (in the main...) are FACILITATORS, not Editors!!!

The AMMOUNT of NEW TRAFFIC that comes to ON-DUTY Mods on an HOURLY BASIS, (such is the popularity of the site) would SHOCK most members.

In my experience, for every TEN offered stories, TWO will be posted without query... (The rest will be advised, guidelined, offered support and direction...)

On LS, that isn't TEN stories a day, of course... (It can be as much as SIXTY stories a day...)

Mistakes CREEP in!!! (My current offering contains a TYPO in the HEADER that I didn't COP!!!)

That's MY BAD, NOT THEIRS!!!

There are ENOUGH examples of acceptable writing HERE to see how it is done.

(Not ALL of it is word perfect!!!)

However... The BEST of it IS, and that is what the site ON ALL LEVELS aspires to...

NEW WRITERS POWER THIS RESOURCE!

(Take given advice and give heed to that advice...)

We NEED you!

(So don't get RATTY, just get BETTER!!!)

ALL OF US WERE VIRGIN POSTERS HERE ONCE!!! (All of us make mistakes!!!)

We have, UNDOUBTLEDLY, the best readers upon the web.

It is OUR DUTY as WRITERS to give THOSE READERS a piece that they can read without WINCING!!!

OUR DUTY AS WRITERS!!!

If a piece is 'BOUNCED' it is because a SEASONED, TALENTED, EXPERIENCED Moderator is doing their job as a Quality Controller...

I might add... Some of my VERY FAVOURITE WRITERS here came FROM NOWHERE! (Fuck, I came from nowhere!!!)

I always think, "IF IT WERE PUBLISHED ON A PAGE IN A BOOK???????"

Do THAT, STAND OVER THAT, and you'll be SHINY!!!

(That's YOUR JOB, NOT THEIRS!!!)

xx SF
Lurker
0 likes
I agree. I get their new letter. Very helpful stuff.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

So don't get RATTY, just get BETTER!!!

That says it. My first few stories got sent back multiple times. I didn't always agree with the reasons at the time (though I usually did). But it's Lush's site, and they get to make the rules. They are editing you for free, giving you valuable writing advice for free, and most importantly, THEY ARE PUBLISHING YOUR STORY! That gives them the right to correct grammar and style, and they are very good at doing so. It is your job to meet their guidelines, not the other way around.
Kiss My Wiggleass Baby
0 likes
Totally agree with Verbal above, I've only just started trying my hand at this writing malarkey and I am eternally grateful for my work being edited by the ladies and gents here. I try my hardest to get it right and I don't think I've written any terrible faux pas yet but, non the less, my stories (not my poems so much) are edited and I go with what they think it should be. I sometimes don't really agree totally but on the whole I do, but they are taking their time, for free, to look at my attempts at putting a story together and once I submit said story it's in their hands and they know best as far as I'm concerned.
Happiness will never come to those who don’t appreciate what they already have
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by ChuckEPoo
If you want to improve your writing I suggest you purchase The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation.

You've got it spot on there -- that Blue Book of Grammar is the nuts. There's a website and I do all the free online quizzes and get 100% on all of them.

The moderators are pretty good on this site, but they're not perfect. We shouldn't expect them to be. We are all amateurs on this site, even the moderators, so none of us know everything about grammar and punctuation.

@the OP: You need to improve your writing, especially your punctuation. Your usage of the colon and semi colon is poor. And hit the enter key every now and then to break up the text. When changing perspectives between characters, especially dialogue, you need to start a new line.

Get on the Blue Book of Grammar website and do the quizzes - that's how I improved my writing skills.
The Linebacker
0 likes
All mistakes on Lush are turned over to this man to make sure you never do that again... and that's the last mistake you'll ever make.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz
All mistakes on Lush are turned over to this man to make sure you never do that again... and that's the last mistake you'll ever make.

Oh, yeah, that's the cancer man off the X files. He always has a ciggie on the burn, emphasizing the fact that he is the baddie.

I bet he's killed a few people in his time for making mistakes.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
My first story was sent back.

That mod is not with us anymore...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
My first story was sent back.

That mod is not with us anymore...

None of my stories have ever been sent back, but that's probably because I use the Blue Book of Grammar.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I have never read the Blue Book, but I will give it a look. The Elements of Style is my bible. E B White is a god.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Verbal
I have never read the Blue Book, but I will give it a look. The Elements of Style is my bible. E B White is a god.

Do the quizzes. I get 100% on all of them. I obsess over small details and have a photographic memory, so I'm pretty good at things like that.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Desperate_Dan

None of my stories have ever been sent back, but that's probably because I use the Blue Book of Grammar.

What stories?
Site administrator
0 likes
Quote by Desperate_Dan

I did reply to your post in 'Cant log in'. Just send Gav a pm and he will sort it out for you.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Liz

What stories?

I've been a member on here since 2009. I deleted a couple of previous accounts over the years and my last account I can't log in to any more. I've had to start this new account.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by simplyjohn

I did reply to your post in 'Cant log in'. Just send Gav a pm and he will sort it out for you.

There's no point. It took me an entire day open this account. I had nothing but trouble, so I'l probably stick with this one now.

Besides, my other account was getting a bit tedious. Too many women asking for my number, you see. It's not that I don't like getting attention from the ladies. I'm just saving myself for the right person.
Lurker
0 likes
Damn, you're a lucky dude to get all that play from chicks.

Me and a long time friend were talking about how out of all of us (our group) I was the one that struggled the most to get the girls to get with me. I'm telling for whatever reason girl give me little play. But we both agree, out of all of us I did do the hottest chicks. It was weird how it always seemed to work out. I would try and try and nothing. So I would figure that was her way of saying back off. I would just stop trying for their affection and then they would be like: do me. Weird I tell you. I need a chick that wants me to strive for her affection each and every day even when she is mine.

I just don't know how some guys can get a bunch of chicks handing out their numbers to them?

I wish it came so easily for me too.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by CheifPussyPop
But we both agree, out of all of us I did do the hottest chicks. It was weird how it always seemed to work out. I would try and try and nothing. So I would figure that was her way of saying back off. I would just stop trying for their affection and then they would be like: do me.

Yeah, you're just like me: I do the hottest chicks out of all my friends as well. I've also noticed that once you cool your interest in a chick she suddenly becomes up for it.

If you act desperate and needy, they don't want to know, but as soon as you act cool and aloof, their panties are round their ankles and are literally begging for it.

Whenever girls speak to me now I just respond with a "yeah" or "whatever" and, before you know it, they're handing out their phone number and taking their clothes off.

I turn most women down now, though. I've got so many on my case I can afford to be fussy. I have to have things in common with them rather than just a physical attraction. I'm quite sophisticated in that respect.