Avatar with a question mark on it

last reply
12 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Prolific Writer
0 likes
I noticed an avatar who is on my timeline that shows as a red box with a question mark on it. When I click it it comes up 404.

What does the question mark represent.

Hugs,
Mysteria
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Perhaps that the member has since deleted their account?
Prolific Writer
0 likes
But why the question mark. I see these from time to time. Just question marks.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by Liz
Perhaps that the member has since deleted their account?

I thought deleted accounts fell back to being 'Guest'. Or is there perhaps a period in between where the deleted account can be activated again if the member changes their mind?

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Prolific Writer
0 likes
I notice that when people like queue 10-50 pieces in their reading queue....

A while later they will show up with an avatar with a question mark.

It's almost like they have been caught or something.

Just what I notice.

Hugs,
Mysteria
xo
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by BiMale73
I thought deleted accounts fell back to being 'Guest'. Or is there perhaps a period in between where the deleted account can be activated again if the member changes their mind?

As far as I know once you hit the 'delete' button there is no coming back. That is why the option to deactivate was coded.

The question mark could be because of a number of different things. I just assumed it was related to the deletion of an account as Mysteria was redirected to the 404 page when she clicked on it.

I suspect there is only one man who can say for sure...

Prolific Writer
0 likes
Remember a while back when that guy was a serial bomber. His avatar is still on my blocked list and I can't even remove him from my list. His avatar also has a question mark.

I don't see it all the time, but I do see it sometimes. I only really noticed because this person queued like 10-15 of my stories. That always alarms me when I'm going to get bombed.

Usually when it happens......The question mark appears several hours later.

It's almost like they get caught in their tracks.

Just an observation. Thank you Liz for responding....

Hugs,
Mysteria
xo
Prolific Writer
0 likes
And it also will show their avatar name below the question mark.

Hugs,
Mysteria
xo
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Mysteria27
It's almost like they get caught in their tracks.

There's nothing wrong with people adding as many stories to their reading list as they want, so I can't see it having anything to do with 'getting caught'.

Perhaps when Gav has a minute spare he will enlighten us. smile
Prolific Writer
0 likes
Quote by Liz

There's nothing wrong with people adding as many stories to their reading list as they want, so I can't see it having anything to do with 'getting caught'.

Perhaps when Gav has a minute spare he will enlighten us. smile

People can put as many stories as they like......

However....I have noticed lots of times when it happens....

Shortly afterwards the avatar has a question mark on it.

Curious to what Gav has to say.

Thanks for your time....

Hugs,
Mysteria
xo
Code Monkey
0 likes
So this anonymous avatar was historically shown for comments made to stories by non logged in users.

Now its used as a fallback in case an avatar cannot be resolved. So if a member is missing from the avatar collection (which shouldn't normally happen) then this image is shown. This would normally mean we have an orphaned member, a member thats been deleted but its member id has not been cleaned from all the related collections.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by gav
So this anonymous avatar was historically shown for comments made to stories by non logged in users.

Now its used as a fallback in case an avatar cannot be resolved. So if a member is missing from the avatar collection (which shouldn't normally happen) then this image is shown. This would normally mean we have an orphaned member, a member thats been deleted but its member id has not been cleaned from all the related collections.

You may wanna check out the OP in https://www.lushstories.com/groups/hot-bottoms.aspx/564efc845bd0df10f46d41cc/discussion/37 then.
And thanks for explaining.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===