Apple Music steals your music

last reply
10 replies
2.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
In "Apple Stole My Music. No, Seriously." author James Pinkstone describes how Apple Music uploads music they find on your hard drive to their servers and then serve it back to you when you want to listen to it. Except, it's not always the identical music, or in the same high quality as the original. And you become dependent on their service being available (for which you pay a subscription of course), being online yourself, etc. while before you just double clicked the file and there it was. Why, you ask? Well, because they delete your originals from your hard drive once the upload is complete. Part of the service!
Yes, it's that bad. Thanks Apple.

From the article:

Quote by James Pinkstone
1. If Apple serves me my music, that means that when I don’t have wifi access, I can’t listen to it. When I say “my music,” I don’t just mean the music that, over twenty years (since before iTunes existed), I painstakingly imported from thousands of CDs and saved to my computer’s internal hard drive. I also mean original music that I recorded and saved to my computer. Apple and wifi access now decide if I can hear it, and where, and when.

2. What Apple considers a “match” often isn’t. That rare, early version of Fountains of Wayne’s “I’ll Do The Driving,” labeled as such? Still had its same label, but was instead replaced by the later-released, more widely available version of the song. The piano demo of “Sister Jack” that I downloaded directly from Spoon’s website ten years ago? Replaced with the alternate, more common demo version of the song. What this means, then, is that Apple is engineering a future in which rare, or varying, mixes and versions of songs won’t exist unless Apple decides they do. Said alternate versions will be replaced by the most mainstream version, despite their original, at-one-time correct, titles, labels, and file contents.

3. Although I could click the little cloud icon next to each song title and “get it back” from Apple, their servers aren’t fast enough to make it an easy task. It would take around thirty hours to get my music back. And even then…

4. Should I choose to reclaim my songs via download, the files I would get back would not necessarily be the same as my original files. As a freelance composer, I save WAV files of my own compositions rather than Mp3s. WAV files have about ten times the number of samples, so they just sound better. Since Apple Music does not support WAV files, as they stole my compositions and stored them in their servers, they also converted them to Mp3s or AACs. So not only do I need to keep paying Apple Music just to access my own files, but I have to hear an inferior version of each recording instead of the one I created.

I love Apple's hardware, but it's because of this complete disrespect for their customers that I don't see me ever using iTunes, iCloud or any other of their services. It's truly despicable!

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

0 likes
I am not, and never have been, an Apple fan and this does not surprise me in the least. Jobs was brilliant, no doubt of that, but Apple, who once taunted IBM with "1984" ads, has now become Big Brother themselves.
Lurker
0 likes
Yet another reason to use CopyTrans and remove iTunes from my computer.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Apple pioneered the horribly invasive DRM - digital rights management - business model, and as a result all the music I bought from them (which thankfully wasn't that much) is unplayable, because it was like 5 laptops ago and I no longer own an "authorized" machine. Plus, they won't play on a non-Apple mp3 player. You don't really own the song.

Amazon is much better - you get the download PLUS a cloud version. I use the cloud to play music on my phone so I don't waste memory.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
I love Apple and I'm ashamed of how much I depend on them. When I hear things like this, I can't help but think of the Umbrella Corporation in the Resident Evil series. It's such a simple little non-aggressive symbol slowly taking over the world.

? A True Story ?
Lurker
0 likes
love Apple's hardware, but it's because of this complete disrespect for their customers that I don't see me ever using iTunes, iCloud or any other of their services. It's truly despicable!

Well it might be despicable if it were true. But it isn't. Apple Music has never removed or replaced music on your Mac.

It's technology that's to blame. If the world relied on typewriters and vinyl records it would be dizzingly wonderful.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
I am not, and never have been, an Apple fan and this does not surprise me in the least. Jobs was brilliant, no doubt of that, but Apple, who once taunted IBM with "1984" ads, has now become Big Brother themselves.

But again, what evidence do you have that Apple is 'Big Brother'? It's far better than most. Apple has a lot of faults (being fucking expensive is top of my list), but accusing Apple of being Big Brother is odd.
0 likes
Quote by puddleduck

But again, what evidence do you have that Apple is 'Big Brother'? It's far better than most. Apple has a lot of faults (being fucking expensive is top of my list), but accusing Apple of being Big Brother is odd.

What? The OP wasn't enough.

How about this? http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/oct/15/u2-bono-issues-apology-for-apple-itunes-album-download

Or this? http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

Apple keeps trying to plead innocence but it's become such a pattern that I don't buy it. That, combined with their closed box hardware philosophy, just sits wrong with this IT geek. I don't like being told that the only way to get more storage on my device is to use their cloud or upgrade when I can buy an Android phone that's just as good that has a Micro SD slot.

Look, I'm never going to tell anyone not to buy Apple. For a non-technical user who likes a simple, easy-to-use device or PC, you can't beat them. But they set off too many of my IT alarmbells for me to fall in love with them myself. And I would urge Apple users to read and follow stories like these so you're going in with both eyes open if and when something like this happens to you. Being a blind, non-questioning "fanboy" is simply giving Apple carte blanche to do as they like.
0 likes
Quote by puddleduck
Well it might be despicable if it were true. But it isn't. Apple Music has never removed or replaced music on your Mac.

It's technology that's to blame. If the world relied on typewriters and vinyl records it would be dizzingly wonderful.

Technology come's in various forms. Technology made with good intentions and respect for the user's freedom, privacy, security, etc. in mind and technology that's made with bad intentions and disrespect for those issues. In this case it's technology that shows a total disrespect for the user's freedom and ownership of their own music and it's made by Apple.
Whether Microsoft of Google are better, just as bad or worse doesn't matter.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by BiMale73

Technology come's in various forms. Technology made with good intentions and respect for the user's freedom, privacy, security, etc. in mind and technology that's made with bad intentions and disrespect for those issues. In this case it's technology that shows a total disrespect for the user's freedom and ownership of their own music and it's made by Apple.
Whether Microsoft of Google are better, just as bad or worse doesn't matter.

I'm not arguing about Microsoft or Google when it comes to music. I was making the point to the OP that Apple Music does not remove your music. Or replace it. So it's got nothing to do with freedom (if you have existing MP3 files Apple Music should leave them intact) or bad intentions (actually Apple Music just tries to be clever).

There's a good write up of it here.

In short, it may just come down to shitty software. My argument is that if you rely on technology, shit is going to happen eventually.
0 likes
Quote by puddleduck
I'm not arguing about Microsoft or Google when it comes to music.

OK. I just mentioned that in reference to you "far better than most" link in your response to seeker4.

Quote by puddleduck
I was making the point to the OP that Apple Music does not remove your music. Or replace it. So it's got nothing to do with freedom (if you have existing MP3 files Apple Music should leave them intact) or bad intentions (actually Apple Music just tries to be clever).

There's a good write up of it here.

In short, it may just come down to shitty software. My argument is that if you rely on technology, shit is going to happen eventually.

Thanks for the link. Let's assume that the representative of Apple was wrong when she said that the sowftware was supposed to work like that, or that the author of the original article misinterpreted her answer as he took it for that. Then there are still many cases where people who claim the same thing happening to them. Even in the comments of the article you linked to.

And yes, technology can be buggy, or simply have bad usability. If that's the case Apple should fix it as soon as possible. As usually they keep silent though, so the rumours will stay alive. Especially since for many those rumours fit with some of their other approaches like DRM, shoving iTunes down one's throat, etc.

Apple is not 'Big Brother' in a Stasi sense, but they seem to work more and more towards the conformity that they claimed to fight in their '1984' ad.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I just tested whether Apple had stolen music from my hard drive, iPod or iPhone. There is no copy of some original music I wrote and recorded on iTunes (I own the copyright and publishing of some of my former bands). The music has been published and is available on some other sites. Additionally, I checked some rare tracks (demos, live track, and the like) from other bands on my iPod / iPhone. They are not available either. As such they are not ripping things off your phone as a rule. Yes, I do let Apple look at my iTunes libraries and playlists. Their suggestion algorrhythm does not get my tastes in music.

I don't keep music on the cloud and really don't like MP3's due to the lossy nature of the compression.

My suspician is they have a problem with some software and preferentially use the iTunes version in the case of separate copies when through the cloud. But in truth, I don't know.