Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Pink Floyd

last reply
7 replies
1.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes

Which Pink Floyd would you rather have seen?

6 votes remaining
Pre-DSOTM Floyd (1 vote) 17%
Post-DSOTM Floyd (6 votes) 100%
What's DSOTM? (1 vote) 17%
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
What version of Pink Floyd would you rather have seen live?

I think that they released some great records following DSOTM, that in many ways are more solid than those that came before, but all in all, they were a far more interesting band prior to DSOTM.

(Yes I realize this question appeals to really only a few people).

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

0 likes
Tough call. I just generally like Floyd, to be honest. Maybe you should have that as another option? There is a definitely a break/shift somewhere around Dark Side of the Moon, but I can't easily say which side of that break I prefer. There's some great songs and albums either way. Guess I'm sitting the fence on this one for now.
Lurker
0 likes
Man, I'm a guitarist and big Floyd fan -- my parents made sure of that.

Pre-DSOTM? That's some seriously hippy-dippy stuff. Are you talking pre-Gilmour -- Piper at the gates of Dawn? Or during the transition period between '67 and ' 78 -- Atom Heart Mother and Meddle?

I've voted post DSOTM. I'm all about David Gilmour. I'm a Strat connoisseur, and no-one can make a Stratocaster sing like Gilmour.

The Sid Barrett era was too psychedelic, the guy was fucked on LSD and the music was way too hippy-dippy for my liking. I liked the Walter's era -- The wall, The Final Cut, Animals, DSOTM. But I now see Walters for what he is -- a self pretentious twat who drones on about nothing more than his Daddy being killed during WW2.

The Final Cut was a selection of tracks that weren't good enough to make The Wall. I actually prefer The Final Cut. It has a political message, set during the Falklands Conflict. "Not Now John" was a fucking awesome track. Walters thought he was "MR Pink Floyd". Gilmour and Wright put him firmly in his place, obtained the legal rights for the name and, in my opinion, took Floyd to the next the level.

My parents saw one of the Pulse shows back in '93 at Earl's court. I was a young boy at the time and never got to tag along, (too much ganja for a young lad) but that would be my choice; those gigs were epic. I only have time for Momentary Lapse and Division Bell these days.

It breaks my heart to think that "High Hopes" off the Division Bell album, 23 years ago, is the last song Floyd ever released -- and will ever release.

Gilmour does solo stiff now, but he's way past it and should call it a day. He will always live on in my memory. Thanks for the memories, Dave.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
In terms of live albums, there's Pulse and Delicate Sound of Thunder, both of which came when Floyd were arguably past their prime (and without Waters). Or you've got the live disc of Umma Gumma which was pretty early in their career. My preference is for Umma Gumma. Nothing on Pulse quite reaches the same highs as the 4 songs on that record. I thought Pulse was fairly solid, (though if I'm going to listen to DSOTM all the way through, I'll put on the studio album), but it was too polished, too professional to get me excited. Play Astronomy Domine which appears in both sets back to back, and you'll see what I mean.

Ah, I forgot the "concert" movie Live in Pompeii, which had some interesting performances just before they broke through with DSOTM. That was pretty decent as well.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Primus Omnium
0 likes
Quote by hayley

So funny! Actually laughed out loud.

Oh, and post for me.