0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
So Jerry Springer says to the UK 'leave Europe and become our 51st State?'

What do you reckon?
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Well, it's been a while that the UK has been pretending that, no, that's definitely not the french coast you can see from Dover and really they're an island in the middle of the Atlantic so...You never know.
Chuckanator
0 likes
If we add a 51st it will be one of our existing territories like Puerto Rico. We fought a war (actually 2) to be free from the UK so I can't ever see that happening.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Yeah, I'm sure Her Majesty watches Jerry Springer! lol
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by LeCygneNoir
Well, it's been a while that the UK has been pretending that, no, that's definitely not the french coast you can see from Dover and really they're an island in the middle of the Atlantic so...You never know.

Wouldn't that be cool? Especially considering that our national anthem, The Star Spangled Banner, is about us winning a battle against The UK. Sent 'em packin' back to not so merry ole England after that one. We were a bit ticked as the Brits had just burned our capitol building and the presidential palace. We couldn't get the burn marks off the presidential palace, so we had to paint the damn thing white. It became known as The White House. We followed all that up by giving The UK the worst battle drubbing in their military history at The Battle of New Orleans.

But we're nice, after the Brits acknowledged they got beat, the folks in New Orleans helped patch them up, fed em, and even hosted a big post-battle party. Our general loaned the Brits some money so they could sail back to The UK. I guess they hadn't plan on losing. Plans do go awry. After that, well, things between The USA and The UK started getting better until we ended up being great friends. It was kind of a family squabble anyhow, but we did okay, winning two wars against the old homeland. Our French buddies really came through for us in the first one. Viva La France! Thanks Lafayette!

The 51st state. The best chance of that is like Chuck said, Puerto Rico. They vote on it every so often – 3 options. Independence, status quo as a commonwealth territory, or statehood. The status quo always wins. So it's their choice. As far as I'm concerned, they're welcome to jump all the way in and add another star to the flag. After that, a possibility is Washington, D.C. but that would take a constitutional amendment I believe, not sure on that though.

Every now and then we do get some disgruntled section of one of the states talking about splitting off and forming another state. And that is not without precedent. Maine came out of Massachusetts and West Virginia came out of Virginia. Places that have had this discussion are Michigan's Upper Peninsula, Florida's panhandle, and some talk of northern Califonia splitting from southern California. But so far this has just been some grumblings, nothing too serious.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier

After Her Majesty got hooked on Springer, she's added a stripper pole to Buckingham Palace. Prince Philip must be amused.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier

After Her Majesty got hooked on Springer, she's added a stripper pole to Buckingham Palace. Prince Philip must be amused.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
How 'bout if Texas carries out its heretofore empty threat to secede from the union (don't let Oklahoma hit you on the way out), and we add Puerto Rico instead! That way we don't have that awkward problem of where to place the 51st star on the flag.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Quote by Buz
Wouldn't that be cool? Especially considering that our national anthem, The Star Spangled Banner, is about us winning a battle against The UK. Sent 'em packin' back to not so merry ole England after that one. We were a bit ticked as the Brits had just burned our capitol building and the presidential palace. We couldn't get the burn marks off the presidential palace, so we had to paint the damn thing white. It became known as The White House. We followed all that up by giving The UK the worst battle drubbing in their military history at The Battle of New Orleans.

Many of those Brits were actually Canadians while we were still technically a British colony (remember Britain was actually engaged with fighting Napoleon at the time, which was a bit closer to home for them). In the war of 1812, the US was actually the aggressor in fact, believing they could annex Canada... ahem... "liberate" Canadians from British tyranny, only to find out we weren't really interested in being Americans (does the 'we'll be greeted as liberators' rhetoric sound familiar? Americans have been using this line for 200 years!). Resisting the American invasion was actually a major catalyst in the development of the Canadian national identity, which eventually led to confederation about 50 years later. Since the US wanted to invade Canada, and then didn't, we view the war as a victory for Canada. We also have the proud distinction of being the only people in history (and most likely forever) to burn down the white house. To be fair, you burned down our parliament buildings first in Toronto, resulting in us moving the capital to Ottawa... because who the hell really wants to travel all the way to Ottawa?

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by Just_A_Guy_You_Know

Many of those Brits were actually Canadians while we were still technically a British colony (remember Britain was actually engaged with fighting Napoleon at the time, which was a bit closer to home for them). In the war of 1812, the US was actually the aggressor in fact, believing they could annex Canada... ahem... "liberate" Canadians from British tyranny, only to find out we weren't really interested in being Americans (does the 'we'll be greeted as liberators' rhetoric sound familiar? Americans have been using this line for 200 years!). Resisting the American invasion was actually a major catalyst in the development of the Canadian national identity, which eventually led to confederation about 50 years later. Since the US wanted to invade Canada, and then didn't, we view the war as a victory for Canada. We also have the proud distinction of being the only people in history (and most likely forever) to burn down the white house. To be fair, you burned down our parliament buildings first in Toronto, resulting in us moving the capital to Ottawa... because who the hell really wants to travel all the way to Ottawa?

While all this is true, the real cause of he war was the British failure to honor the peace treaty by continually capturing American flagged ships without cause in violation of international law and pressing the crews into their navy. They ignored many official complaints from our government and insisted that those Americans were still British subjects. It was only after our complaints were rejected time after time was war declared.
The Linebacker
0 likes

The French and Native-Americans certainly didn't treat the British Empire as liberators when they conquered and seized Canada from them. In fact, a hiuge number of French-Canadians just couldn't stand living under the British subjugation and left. I am married to a Cajun. And after the American Revolution, that British Empire then set it's sights on conquering the Indian subcontinent, enslaving and subjugating huge nations of people under their tyrannical grip, In fact, General Cornwallis, who surrendered at Yorktown to General Washington, regained his military reputation and British honor by his brutally successful military campaigns against the people of India. What had they ever done to garner UK wrath? It wasn't until Gandhi's peaceful rebellion that the Brits finally allowed them the dignity of their independence. But only after India had been pillaged of its natural resources and riches for two centuries.

Yes, the Americans invaded Canada. The smart military thing is to make sure you cannot be flanked and the British Empire with the world's greatest army could easily invade the USA from Canada and split New England from the rest of the nation, leaving us open to defeat. The American invasion of the British Empire's Canadian colony was our attempt at a pre-emptive strike. The British did attack us from the north and we did force them back into Canada. The British attacked us from the sea and did burn our capitol but were eventually forced back onto their boats to scurry back to Britain. And they did invade us from the south, only to receive their most miserable military defeat. That British army which burned our capitol did end up decimated. First, right after their burning and celebration, a major hurricane hit them with a tornado running rampant through their troops. Then that army's General Ross, from one of the English descended familes subjugating Ireland at the time, he also stole President Madison's love letters to his wife, Dolly.That General Ross was shot and killed at the Battle of Northpoint outside Baltimore. Now he was a highly competent militraty commander and his death actually helped cause chaos amongst the British troops. After being riddled, what was left of his army had to make for their boats and escape in defeat.

Obviously, the UK learned their lesson about the American colonies, because when the time came, they came up with a good plan to allow Canada to have their independence and remain in the British Commonwealth and loyal to their crown. (If the liberal party, that was sensitive to Amercian colonists views, had been in control of Paliament in the 1770s, that might have been the case with America, but the right-winged conservatives allied with King George had the ruling majority.)

The War of 1812 is often referred to as the Second War of American Independence. The British Empire was violating US sovereignty on many levels. The USA at that time had a tiny population compared to the British Empire and did not have the ability or the finances to
field a military near the size of the one the UK had. So going to war with them was a difficult decision and took a lot of guts. By the last two majot battles of that war, The Brits were sending highly experienced professional troops against the USA, fresh off defeating Napolean. They did not fare so well against America.

As it worked out, the USA, the UK, and Canada seem to have learned a long time ago, how to get along with each other and thrive as allies.

In fact, according to your bio, it looks as if you choose to reside in Nebraska now. Myself, I am very fond of Canadians and British people. I have thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality in both places. And I must add, that Canadian hospitality is always outstanding.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by HeraTeleia

We do try.

That said, the most surprising thing I learned in this thread is that Jerry Springer is a) still alive and b) still on television.

Love me some Canadians!

Jerry Springer is an interesting guy. His parents were Jewish folks who escaped from Germany during the Holocaust era and came to the USA. He had grandparents and other relatives die at the hands of the Nazis in the Holocaust.

Springer was once a political campaign advisor to Bobby Kennedy. And Springer once unsuccessfully ran for US Congress. He used to be mayor of Cincinnati, Ohio, a major city. He has made a large fortune in the television business.
Una chica rubia caliente
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
How 'bout if Texas carries out its heretofore empty threat to secede from the union (don't let Oklahoma hit you on the way out), and we add Puerto Rico instead! That way we don't have that awkward problem of where to place the 51st star on the flag.

OUCH!! I thought we were friends! Fcuk!!
Puerto Rico has nothing to offer besides debt and crime, so it's essentially the same as Washington D.C. but with fewer ASSHOLES. D.C. thankfully isn't a state so Puerto Rico shouldn't be one either. I would like to have Canada merge with the USA tho...that way we would have so many more polite fellow citizens than we have now

Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Quote by Shannon3K

OUCH!! I thought we were friends! Fcuk!!.

HAHAHA, I wondered how long it would take you to see this! Fcuk me, beautiful!
0 likes
Quote by Buz

Love me some Canadians!

Jerry Springer is an interesting guy. His parents were Jewish folks who escaped from Germany during the Holocaust era and came to the USA. He had grandparents and other relatives die at the hands of the Nazis in the Holocaust.

Springer was once a political campaign advisor to Bobby Kennedy. And Springer once unsuccessfully ran for US Congress. He used to be mayor of Cincinnati, Ohio, a major city. He has made a large fortune in the television business.

Huh. I never realised...I wasn't allowed to watch much television (except for hockey, and The National) as a child, so never fell into the habit--that's right, I'm the evil mother who tells her sons that the 28" CRT flat screen Toshiba she bought at a garage sale for $2 is just fine, and if they want a real flat screen TV, they can bloody well go over to the neighbours and ingratiate themselves.

Shannon, thank you very much for the offer to "merge" the U.S. with Canada, but Canadians as a whole are not super keen on that, for assorted reasons. It would make much more sense to make Puerto Rico the 51st state; it's not all "debt and crime", it's also spectacular wildlife refuges and Punta Gorda and some amazing land.

The "Canadian Lemmings" cartoon is spot-on, though.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As a Canadian the kind comments are heart warming. As we apparently say in Canada almost too often, thank you.
There are some states we would gladly accept as our 11th province. We offer higher gas prices, but universal health care. Maternity leave that lasts a year, but higher taxes.
The Linebacker
0 likes
This is interesting. Hypothetically at least. The population of the UK is 65,089,427 as of Saturday, June 11, 2016, based on the latest United Nations estimates.

The estimated population of the US's most populous and politically powerful state, California, is estimated in 2016 to be 39,350,000.

So the UK, if it were to become the 51st state, it would unseat California and have the most Congressional seats and Federal judges. California might not like that. They could even threaten to revive The Bear Republic and secede.

(The 2016 population of the USA is estimated to be 322,762,018.)
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by ChuckEPoo
Damn! You impress me Buz. Interesting history lesson. That was kinda a bad century for the UK.

Actually, it was a great one for them. The Brits expanded their empire and loved to say, "The sun never sets on the British Empire."

In the 19th century the British Empire was easily the most powerful and richest in the world. Actually, one of the most powerful empires in history.

After The War of 1812, relations between the UK and the USA just got better and better.

The British Empire of the 19th Century in red....

Chuckanator
0 likes
Well Buz, I should have spent more attention in college to history than math and science. What you say is interesting about California. Citing those population statistics, California has a larger population than all of Canada.
0 likes
I think I just learned more from Buzz than I did in college! I personally would not mind it if we all became the same country or at least provinces. Although our fore fathers would not appreciate me saying that. I love the Brits and the Royal Family

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Quote by Buz
As it worked out, the USA, the UK, and Canada seem to have learned a long time ago, how to get along with each other and thrive as allies.

In fact, according to your bio, it looks as if you choose to reside in Nebraska now. Myself, I am very fond of Canadians and British people. I have thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality in both places. And I must add, that Canadian hospitality is always outstanding.

Yeah we fought it out, then 'shook hands' and it's been mostly all good since then. You really know your history.

I've been living in the US for almost ten years now, in three different States. While I tend to disagree with a lot of American politics, the people I've met here on an individual level are genuinely decent and good natured for the most part.

Becoming one nation would be great, but instead of us becoming the 51st state, you should consider becoming the 11th through 60th provinces. Given the choice between Trump and Trudeau, you know it makes sense.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My thought is there are too many huge states and too many tiny states. So my plan would be to divide California into 3 states; Texas into 4 states; Montana into 2 states; split West Virginia between Ohio and Virginia; combine Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut; combine New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Washington, DC, Maryland. And let's cut that screwy tip off of Idaho and give it to Washington. Forget the UK. They talk funny and don't carry guns.
The Linebacker
0 likes

Becoming one nation would be great, but instead of us becoming the 51st state, you should consider becoming the 11th through 60th provinces. Given the choice between Trump and Trudeau, you know it makes sense.

It's funny, but not funny, that too many Americans don't know Canada is a separate nation (a pet peeve of mine about our public education system). On the serious side, it's the only border in the world that is as open as it is, due to the amazing relations between the two countries. And while there are some cultural differences, Americans and Canadians share much more in similarities. On average Canadians are more politically liberal. But the two countries actually look out for one another. And the Brits make that three.

But we all know it's a lot more fun for us all to hold onto our own national sovereignty and that's the best thing for us. With Canada and the US, where else can a person visit a 'foreign' country but still feel right at home. And the UK is just enough different to let you know (they do speak English with cool accents) that you're visiting abroad. And I do love those castles, and I might add golf courses in Scotland are a real challenge.

Trump? I can't think of anything nice to say. But I really do believe he is more a facade, just saying what he thinks an angry segment of voters want to hear. But doesn't that just make him a typical politician, actually one of the sleaziest politicians. He has spent the vast majority of his adult life as a Democrat, and now when it's conveninet, he's Republican making appeals to the nutty Tea Party element? Hmm... what a fake! We don't need any more fakes running the USA. We've got more than enough of those for sure.
Una chica rubia caliente
0 likes
Quote by HeraTeleia

Shannon, thank you very much for the offer to "merge" the U.S. with Canada, but Canadians as a whole are not super keen on that, for assorted reasons. It would make much more sense to make Puerto Rico the 51st state; it's not all "debt and crime", it's also spectacular wildlife refuges and Punta Gorda and some amazing land.

The "Canadian Lemmings" cartoon is spot-on, though.

I really don't care what the Canadians want...I'm only interested in what's best for me...and it would be good for the USA. Making Puerto Rico a state would not be. We already have a state like Puerto Rico in terms of debt and crime. It's called Illinois. Can all Canadian lemmings skate?
Una chica rubia caliente
0 likes
Quote by Warlock
And let's cut that screwy tip off of Idaho and give it to Washington. Forget the UK. They talk funny and don't carry guns.

That would be too much like a botched circumcision! Show some restraint!
The Linebacker
0 likes
According to our constitution, the decision to become a state or not, is only up to Puerto Rico. With their commonwealth territory status and population, they fit all of the criteria to be eligible for statehood. As I stated earlier, they do vote on this every so often.

Puerto Ricans ARE citizens of the USA. Thier ballot for statehood gives them 3 options:
1) To become an independent nation
2) Status quo as a commonwealth territory, which affords them some reasonability of independence
3) Statehood

Only Puerto Ricans can vote on that matter. If they vote for statehood, they are in and we add another star. We've continually added stars every so often since those original 13, so if it's yay, the flag designers will figure how to fit it in.
0 likes
Quote by Warlock
My thought is there are too many huge states and too many tiny states. So my plan would be to divide California into 3 states; Texas into 4 states; Montana into 2 states; split West Virginia between Ohio and Virginia; combine Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut; combine New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Washington, DC, Maryland. And let's cut that screwy tip off of Idaho and give it to Washington. Forget the UK. They talk funny and don't carry guns.

I'm dizzy just reading this, lol! (Jk) ?
Quote by Buz

It's funny, but not funny, that too many Americans don't know Canada is a separate nation

They're NOT?!

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.