Orlando, FL....A Thread To Offer Condolences

last reply
59 replies
3.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Primus Omnium
0 likes
Incredibly horrible news. My condolences to family and friends.
I'm not for everyone
0 likes
A very sad day. So many lives needlessly lost.
Sophisticate
0 likes
Condolences to all. This is horrific and too much like the attack in Paris. What kind of world are we living in?

If you live in the area, please go and donate blood. They need it badly considering all of those who have been shot.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
My condolences to all those directly impacted and the rest of the nation that's mourns such a tragedy and act of terror.
With a whisper, a touch, a kiss,
I showed her the path,
She ran to the arms
Of baby's safe harbor.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
How do we deal with such violence? Such loss of life for no sane reason? Do we mourn our dead and simply try to accept that evil will happen, much like a natural disaster. One doesn't scream for revenge or litigate away freedoms when a tornado or earthquake ravage a city. In the larger scope, we will obviously survive.

I'm beginning to think, whether this is and act of some twisted version of Islamic hate or the kind of homophobic hate we are more accustomed to seeing, we can only shed our tears and then bury our dead. One can't plot revenge against a storm, nor should one fear to live simply because lightning may strike from time to time.

The spirits of those freed from their mortal coil shall soar to their destiny and we will keep their memory close to our hearts.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Hard not to not just curl up and want to go away right now, harder still to not want to go out there and just do something, anything. my heart keeps breaking with every new piece of information - if you can, give blood. if you know someone in the lgbt community, give them some love - they're going to need it right now.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
There is so much hate in the world. May God Bless the wounded, dead and families.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by sprite
Hard not to not just curl up and want to go away right now, harder still to not want to go out there and just do something, anything. my heart keeps breaking with every new piece of information - if you can, give blood. if you know someone in the lgbt community, give them some love - they're going to need it right now.

Lurker
0 likes

I would love to give blood if I wasn't so anemic. I'm far away but I would donate if I could here, anyway.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
June is gay pride month, btw, for those who don't know. this just hit the newsfeed as well:

Authorities in Santa Monica found possible explosives as well as weapons and ammunition Sunday in the car of a man who told them he was in town for the L.A. Pride festival in West Hollywood, a law enforcement source said.

Early Sunday, Santa Monica police received a call of a suspected prowler near Olympic Boulevard and 11th Street. Patrol officers responded and encountered an individual who told officers he was waiting for a friend. That led officers to inspect the car and find several weapons and a lot of ammunition as well as tannerite, an ingredient that could be used to create a pipe bomb.

The car had Indiana plates. The man was arrested and made comments that he was in town for the Pride event in West Hollywood this weekend. A source said they believed there was no connection between the gay nightclub shooting in Orlando, Fla., early Sunday morning and the Santa Monica incident. The investigation has been taken over by the FBI. The source said the man appeared to be white

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by sprite
June is gay pride month, btw, for those who don't know. this just hit the newsfeed as well:

Authorities in Santa Monica found possible explosives as well as weapons and ammunition Sunday in the car of a man who told them he was in town for the L.A. Pride festival in West Hollywood, a law enforcement source said.

Early Sunday, Santa Monica police received a call of a suspected prowler near Olympic Boulevard and 11th Street. Patrol officers responded and encountered an individual who told officers he was waiting for a friend. That led officers to inspect the car and find several weapons and a lot of ammunition as well as tannerite, an ingredient that could be used to create a pipe bomb.

The car had Indiana plates. The man was arrested and made comments that he was in town for the Pride event in West Hollywood this weekend. A source said they believed there was no connection between the gay nightclub shooting in Orlando, Fla., early Sunday morning and the Santa Monica incident. The investigation has been taken over by the FBI. The source said the man appeared to be white

My god, that's terrifying. I have no words to describe the sadness this gives me but we all must take a stand in our everyday lives to educate and fight back against the unreasoning hate that drives people to such extremes. We cannot hide form it and we cannot let it change who we are. We must be true to ourselves and speak our minds when we see injustice in any form. Candlelight vigils and celebrations of life are more effective against hate than the bombs or guns used by those who hold hate in their hearts are against us.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I pray that everyone in Orlando stays safe. I pray for the families of the fallen victims and I pray for the injured that they will make a full recovery.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Sad moment..... no words to express the evils faced by people.
0 likes
This breaks my heart, terrifies me and upsets me to the very core of my being. I've been to this bar, and have enjoyed some good times there. I'm so shocked this has happened. And now, knowing that it could have and almost did happen in Santa Monica brings this too close to home.

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

The Bee's Knees
0 likes

i'm absolutely stunned. my thoughts and prayers go out to anyone that is affected by this tragedy. i truly hope we can all come together to help orlando heal. a sad sad day...

Say. Her. Name.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Anyone who feels the need to help in a more tangible way, there's a gofundme to support the victims:

https://www.gofundme.com/2942a444

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Milik_the_Red

I'm beginning to think, whether this is an act of some twisted version of Islamic hate or the kind of homophobic hate we are more accustomed to seeing, we can only shed our tears and then bury our dead. One can't plot revenge against a storm, nor should one fear to live simply because lightning may strike from time to time.

The spirits of those freed from their mortal coil shall soar to their destiny and we will keep their memory close to our hearts.

Well said.
0 likes
Quote by sprite
Anyone who feels the need to help in a more tangible way, there's a gofundme to support the victims:

https://www.gofundme.com/2942a444

Thank you, R. Donation incoming.

I read about a mother whose son texted her from a bathroom in the club..."Mom Please Help im Scared" and "Call Themm" "Call Themm" (spelling not corrected, can't find the link, but the text is emblazoned on my brain). "Themm" meant the police. Her son had not yet been accounted for as of the time that I read the Orlando Sentinel article containing the photo of the text messages.

As the mother to three sons, I just...I can't imagine. I can't imagine. Especially since I shoot Glock pistols...the powerlessness, the horror, the dread wait and slowing of time staring at the phone....I think that would be exacerbated by my hobby. By knowing that maybe if Maman had been there, it could have been stopped.

Prayers of hope and healing were said this morning at my church (United Methodist) for the victims and family of this horrible act of terror. This was mine:

"May G-d keep His new residents in His most holy care, and may He keep their families strong and safe forever and ever, Amen."
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

0 likes
I am hoping that all flags here in the US are being flown at half mast today...it would be very sad if these lives weren't acknowledged as important enough. I hate to think that way, but it's something we as a community have become accustomed too.

I just found this article. I'm happy to know that Obama has ordered all flags to be lowered in honor of the victims. http://fox13now.com/2016/06/12/flags-ordered-to-half-staff-as-mark-of-respect-for-orlando-shooting-victims/

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

Chuckanator
0 likes
And yet another case of hate by radical Islamic terrorism. It appears the killer was under investigation in the past.

This isn't just a hate crime against gays, it is a hate crime against all civilized people's. We are at war against the haters, no matter how they disguise themselves screaming Allah Akbar.

The God I believe in is about love, forgiveness, and reconciliation, not hate, and judgement.
Lady GlitterGiggles
0 likes
Quote by Simmerdownchick
in the deep south where hate is an every day occurrence.

I've been to this bar, and have enjoyed some good times there. I'm so shocked this has happened. And now, knowing that it could have and almost did happen in Santa Monica brings this too close to home.

Hate is an every day occurance everywhere. And be glad it wasn't too close to home....you don't want this pain....
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Simmerdownchick
I am hoping that all flags here in the US are being flown at half mast today...it would be very sad if these lives weren't acknowledged as important enough. I hate to think that way, but it's something we as a community have become accustomed too.

many places are organizing candlelight vigils, open to everyone, gay, straight, queer, trans, everyone. i encourage everyone who can to show up - i take heart that everyone is coming out to support the community - it's not just a gay thing - so many straight friends are a shocked, hurt, angry, and doing whatever they can to help - that is the one bright spot in all of this. i hope that, instead of tearing us apart, it brings us together. love you all.

0 likes
Quote by adi_me33

Hate is an every day occurance everywhere. And be glad it wasn't too close to home....you don't want this pain....

I'm so sorry for those that live nearby. If you do, then my prayers are with you and anyone in your life that has been touched by this. I live in Southern California, so if it had happened in Santa Monica...I can't even imagine the pain. We're all in this together. May our combined energy help bring some peace to this crazy world.

Quote by ChuckEPoo
And yet another case of hate by radical Islamic terrorism. It appears the killer was under investigation in the past.

This isn't just a hate crime against gays, it is a hate crime against all civilized people's. We are at war against the haters, no matter how they disguise themselves screaming Allah Akbar.

The God I believe in is about love, forgiveness, and reconciliation, not hate, and judgement.

Well said, Chuck. Sprite as well. It isn't just the LGBTQ community that has been hurt today. Most people be they straight, gay, etc. fear this type of violence.