Login

Diamonds in the rough

last reply
1 reply
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Hello, music lovers! It came to my attention that this section lacked a topic for our latest finds, the artists that may not be the biggest at the moment, but will surely become some of the greatest.

So, let us summon the spirit of true hipsters and have on this topic the absolute proof that "we knew them before they were big".

I shall start with Michael Kiwanuka. He's a young (28 years old) british soul singer and composer, who will release his second album "Love & Hate" on the 15th of July. He is starting to get a bit of a buzz going, but not nearly as much as he deserves with the quality of his work. I was a great fan of his first album "Home Again", but not blown away out of proportion. But, with a quick listen of his new work, that's now officially done. It's soul at its purest, with great voice work and depths of riches in the music craft. That's without even mentionning a fantastic meld of powerful emotional touches and a strong political message. Considering how young he is, I've not been that impressed by a soul singer since I discovered Nina. No pressure, Michael...

So. What about you, what are your latest finds, your diamonds in the rough?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Ginger Leigh lives in my neighborhood in South Austin. Here is her great cover of The Poetry Man, which she recorded live at the Saxon Pub in Austin. Most of her songs on YouTube are originals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpqxL4XLyG4