Login

Pokemon GO?

last reply
32 replies
5.9k views
2 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
Anyone on here caught up in the craze? My son loaded it on the Android he shares with his mother but doesn't actually play much. He rode to downtown London (Ontario, Canada) yesterday and says Victoria Park, our big downtown green space was full of players. That may change this weekend since our Pride festival takes over that park tonight and it will be rather crowded even without Pokemon hunters.

Doesn't really appeal to me that much, though I'll concede the use of augmented reality for a Pokemon game is a clever idea.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
My kids have it and were very interested the first few days. However, the game constantly lags and is already becoming a bit boring.

You need to really travel to find other Pokemon. We still have not figured out how to battle because the system always crashes.

The game requires a lot of battery life.

My kids are slowly losing interest. Not sure this fad will be as hot as it was the first week. It's slowly loosing appeal.

Hugs,
Mysteria
xo
Clumeleon
0 likes
I don't play (wouldn't be able to in my rural village), but I am a big fan for several reasons.

Although it is not the first augmented reality game, it's the first to become hugely popular and "mainstream". This can be an impetus for this kind of technology to gain more ground and be implemented in more and varied contexts. In particular, I'm interested in the implications for education.

It has been a phenomenal social experiment of sorts, which has had some amazing, unforeseen consequences. Pretty much overnight, millions of people have engaged in it in a myriad ways, from sole traders producing clothing and merchandise (particular around the Team Valour/Instinct/Mystic thing), to marketing companies targeting "Poke-stops" and gyms, to coffee shops setting up rewards-based promotions based on the game. I've even heard of dog shelters encouraging players to 'hire' the dogs to take them for walks while they're hunting form Pokemon, which has been hugely successful.

The Pokemon franchise is already cross-generational, because it's been around for so long, but this new game has brought people back to Pokemon out of nostalgia for their childhood. Young people are encouraging their parents and grandparents to get involved, and I think it's actually bringing people together, which is definitely a good thing.

I reckon this kind of game, where internet connectivity is essential, will strengthen the call for internet equality in terms of 3G coverage, too. Maybe not Pokemon GO in particular, but as the medium expands, demand will grow.

There are, of course, drawbacks and dangers, like potential road accidents and targeted crime. These are being highlighted pretty quickly though, and both Niantic and local authorities seem to be pretty good at getting out information and advice. Hopefully we won't see too many ill consequences.

I think it is a fad, and enthusiasm will die down in the coming months. However, people still play Pokemon Red and Blue on Gameboys, so I think Pokemon GO will have some staying power.
0 likes
Ooh, there's a Pikachu just outside my house... dog walking time
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I honestly have friends that are into this, and they've said it's not only addicting, regardless of age, but socially it actually helps bring people out into society and meet others. What I have not yet seen is that it hasn't quite turned deadly (except people finding dead bodies), but so far, I haven't heard much of people running into issues with bad things.

I have friends that have done it, and they love it. I haven't gone down that road. Quite honestly, I'm waiting to see how long it lasts. "if" it continues, I may make an attempt.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Saucymh

Sinner so Sweet
0 likes
Quote by Saucymh

You get Pikachus? All I get near me are Pidgeys, Rattatas and Cave Herpes (aka Zubat) .
My latest offering: Intoxicated ~ An Erotic Poem.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I damn near ran over a woman on her mobile two days ago. She stepped straight out in front of me and when I abused her she seemed oblivious to how close to death she was. All she said was " I found one".
I hope she survives this craze.
0 likes
I collected the cards when I was a kid, played the gameboy games and watched the videos too. I stopped over 15 years ago and I'd rather not go back to pokemon. Of course the biggest crock of shit is: not too long ago I saw a used merchandise place selling the cards for 50 cents a piece. Even the cards that should have been supposedly worth hundreds, if not thousands by now. Damn, I'm so glad I didn't bother trying to preserve them all these years. Bottom line, they just wanted to go back to pokemon so they could make a little more green off it.
0 likes
Quote by sweetsinner

You get Pikachus? All I get near me are Pidgeys, Rattatas and Cave Herpes (aka Zubat) .

There was a Pikachu on my street! Sadly, I didn't get it. The girl that did plastered her victory all over Facebook and is now very much envied.
Sinner so Sweet
0 likes
Quote by Saucymh
There was a Pikachu on my street! Sadly, I didn't get it. The girl that did plastered her victory all over Facebook and is now very much envied.

Awww drat! I keep seeing their silhouettes but I haven't managed to catch one yet either. Though, after my complaint about my regular neighbourhood Pokè-inhabitants, tonight I caught a Squirtle from the comfort of bed
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
New warning for kids playing this. There are sexual predators that are making images and characters as "kids" luring them to places and having sex with them.
A determined person with perseverance can overcome many obstacles. They can, many times, perform better than those who are more intelligent, stronger and with better finances by determination and perseverance
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
New warning for kids playing this. There are sexual predators that are making images and characters as "kids" luring them to places and having sex with them.
A determined person with perseverance can overcome many obstacles. They can, many times, perform better than those who are more intelligent, stronger and with better finances by determination and perseverance
0 likes
I work in a location that's supposed to be secure and keeping it secure is part of my job. So I had the joy of having to pen a general e-mail to Ph.D. educated researchers, warning them that they can't play Pokémon Go in my building.

Responses ranged from sympathetic (I'll bet you never thought you'd write a professional email like THAT) to hilarious (Damn, I was looking for pikachu!).
Prolific Writer
0 likes
My kids played for a week and now have deleted the game. That was very short lived.

Giggles,
Mysteria
xo
0 likes
My workplace has 3 pokestops and a gym directly outside it. Come on, how can I ignore that?
Lurker
0 likes
It sounds dangerous as hell.
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
I play when I'm out and about with my daughter. We go to parks a lot, and Pokemon love parks. I haven't had a gym fight yet. I enjoy evolving Pokemon. It's a fun thing for me while I'm devoting my life to someone else. smile
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
My son was into Pokemon when it was just a card game and a cartoon, so it came as no surprise that he got into Pokemon Go. At least it's something he and his girlfriend can do together as it seems she's just as big of a geek as he is. I won't lie... he's made me so proud. Nice to know I raised my boy right.
0 likes
Almost ready to evolve my Eevee. It's going to be a good one.
Sinner so Sweet
0 likes
Oooooh. Do you know the 'cheat' to get the one you want? (tis an Easter Egg built into the code).
If not, you can nickname your Eevee before evolution to manipulate. Close the app and reopen after is a tip I read.
The success rate is pretty high but it only works once for each type.
Pyro for Flareon. Sparky for Jolteon. Rainer for Vaporeon.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Quote by Burquette
I work in a location that's supposed to be secure and keeping it secure is part of my job. So I had the joy of having to pen a general e-mail to Ph.D. educated researchers, warning them that they can't play Pokémon Go in my building.

Responses ranged from sympathetic (I'll bet you never thought you'd write a professional email like THAT) to hilarious (Damn, I was looking for pikachu!).

I have the same problem. I've had concerns addressed to my office from both the property owners my company represents and the on-site property managers who work for me about Pokemon-Goers wandering around our properties (some are quite expansive, and have internal street-grids of their own), because the players seem to be oblivious to anything not on their screens. Why the augmented reality programmers place game characters on private property is a mystery to me. As Burquette pointed out, the people who manage private secure sites must deal with the problems created by this app. We've had to apply different responses to the situation as different property owners have different degrees of security and liability concerns, but I would have preferred the game programmers restrict the field of play to public venues only.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Does anyone else play it now?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by markwilson

Sometimes I still hear someone playing
Lurker
0 likes
listen to good music and download free ringtones for your phone at <a rel="nofollow" href=""></a>
Rookie Scribe
0 likes

Quote by markwilson

I play, it’s making a massive resurgence - all the cool kids are into it now ;)