Irregular verbs

last reply
48 replies
3.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Head Penguin
0 likes
I've noticed (not just on Lush) that some people get into a pickle over irregular verbs.

I read recently, where so and so sung at someone's wedding, when it should have been 'sang' at their wedding. Would anyone else have used sung, even though it's the past participle?

Another one is dived and dove. Which do you prefer?

Are there any irregular verbs that get your knickers in a twist?

D x

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Wild at Heart
0 likes
When I drink a little too much I get drunk and drank mixed up.
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

So, like that time when you drank so much drink that you were drunk?
Clumeleon
0 likes
I don't know about the rest of the world, but there can be a tendency amongst Scots to try to 'regularise' irregular verbs (or at least force some kind of linguistic intuition onto them). It used to wind me up, but I grew to love it because everyone understood what they were saying, so it was as good as using the 'correct' form.

Examples.

"Jamp" instead of jumped.
"Et" instead of ate (or sometimes instead of eaten, but that one still jars a little).
"Writ" instead of wrote (I know "writ" is a word in its own right, but not 'correct' when used in this way).
Una chica rubia caliente
0 likes
I think irregular verbs should increase their intake of cooked vegetables, specifically cruciferous veggies and leafy greens. Magnesium is also beneficial.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Shannon3K
I think irregular verbs should increase their intake of cooked vegetables, specifically cruciferous veggies and leafy greens. Magnesium is also beneficial.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX

Another one is dived and dove. Which do you prefer?
D x

I'll go with Dove

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I cannot for the life of me use lie and lay correctly (I'm guessing they are the most commonly misused ones). It's like a mental block. Now I just look it up every time (or use a different word).

I've read the rules for when to use which one - I just can't ever remember them.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by clum
I don't know about the rest of the world, but there can be a tendency amongst Scots to try to 'regularise' irregular verbs

Not only that but they sometimes used a past tense entirely of their own invention. 'I seen' instead of 'I saw'; 'I done' rather than 'I did'. It's like the present perfect tense applied to the past. Of course they love me when I point out these flaws.
Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

Ha ha... though I don't think this has the same phonological issues that sang and sung has.

Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by clum
I don't know about the rest of the world, but there can be a tendency amongst Scots to try to 'regularise' irregular verbs (or at least force some kind of linguistic intuition onto them). It used to wind me up, but I grew to love it because everyone understood what they were saying, so it was as good as using the 'correct' form.

Examples.

"Jamp" instead of jumped.
"Et" instead of ate (or sometimes instead of eaten, but that one still jars a little).
"Writ" instead of wrote (I know "writ" is a word in its own right, but not 'correct' when used in this way).

I've never heard anyone say jamp!

Writ is an interesting one. It could be dialect, in which case this could be correct among some non-standard speakers, though not being Scottish I'm not sure. Is it like being Frit instead of frightened?

Ate 'pronounced' as et instead of eaten is certainly a phonological variation either from a misunderstanding or just idleness. Et instead of ate as the past tense is a common variation.

D x

Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by Shannon3K

You're too clever. Come and see me without your panties, later!

Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by Verbal
I cannot for the life of me use lie and lay correctly (I'm guessing they are the most commonly misused ones). It's like a mental block. Now I just look it up every time (or use a different word).

I've read the rules for when to use which one - I just can't ever remember them.

These verbs are by far and away the most misused and misunderstood in the English language.

Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by puddleduck

Not only that but they sometimes used a past tense entirely of their own invention. 'I seen' instead of 'I saw'; 'I done' rather than 'I did'. It's like the present perfect tense applied to the past. Of course they love me when I point out these flaws.

I do this sometimes, as this is normal in parts of the south west where I'm from originally. It's dialect.

D x

0 likes
Quote by puddleduck

Not sure if that's a Scots thing but I work with two people from the same town who use those (I seen and I done). Thought it was maybe a central Ontario (Canada) thing.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX
I've never heard anyone say jamp!

Writ is an interesting one. It could be dialect, in which case this could be correct among some non-standard speakers, though not being Scottish I'm not sure. Is it like being Frit instead of frightened?

Ate 'pronounced' as et instead of eaten is certainly a phonological variation either from a misunderstanding or just idleness. Et instead of ate as the past tense is a common variation.

D x

Jamp is my favourite. smile

Writ as in, "Ah writ it doon oan a bit ae paper."

I remember in high school English a bunch of us having a debate with our teacher about a "non-standard" declension of the verb to be: I be, you be, he/she/it bes (pronounced 'bees'), etc.

Our example was something along the lines of this conversation:

"He drives me crazy."

"What does he do?"

"He bes annoying."

Obviously, our teacher rejected this and insisted the word must be "is". Of course, technically speaking, she was completely correct. But we felt there was a certain nuance in our variation. Like, "he bes annoying" denotes a more deliberate act than the comparatively passive "he is annoying".

She humoured us, because she liked us, and we were A students, but she clearly thought we were ridiculous.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by ChuckEPoo
When I'm writing I'm never sure if it is came, come, or cum.

cum is usually used as a noun, while come is the verb, ie,

he came all over her face.

I want to come inside your wet hot cunt.

She licked the cum from her lips. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

Not sure if that's a Scots thing but I work with two people from the same town who use those (I seen and I done). Thought it was maybe a central Ontario (Canada) thing.

That's pretty common in California too.

"I done seen that bitch at the wig shop."

"I seen that movie already."

"I done that ho wrong." Followed by "I should take her to get her nails did."
Chuckanator
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

That's pretty common in California too.

True. California has its own language. The surfers and valley girls have influenced the culture.

Sup dude. Oh wow, that's sooo radical.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by ChuckEPoo

radical.

#triggered
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

Well those phrases tripped off your tongue a little too easily.
Especially the one about the wig.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by puddleduck

Well those phrases tripped off your tongue a little too easily.
Especially the one about the wig.

I was gettin' a taco 'cross the street an' I seen dat ho walk out the wig shop aiiight.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
Just because a verb happens to be "irregular" doesn't mean it should be denied our tolerance and respect. And in conclusion, may I add that in the future, they should be referred to as: "Verbss with different regularities".

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX
What about the past tense of to speed?

Would you say 'I speeded up' or I sped up'?

D x

That's uncanny. I was just scratching my head over the same thing. I have in my latest story which I'll be uploading tonight, the hand movements speeded up and her hips started to move.

I think both "sped up" and "speeded up" are acceptable.
Story Verifier
0 likes
The one that always got me with the kids was, "No Duh!" To me that was the epitome of ignorance for some reason. At least I think that's an irregular verb form. I'm still not sure what a participle is and the term Gerund is so far out of my ken it's gibberish.

My English teachers would stand and shake their heads at me watching me diagram a sentence. Now THAT is truly a non-logical thing because of all the conflicting rules.

I never got it.
I am always a gentleman.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by LASARDaddy
I'm still not sure what a participle is and the term Gerund is so far out of my ken it's gibberish.

A gerund is a verb with ing at the end that acts as a noun.

Example:

Smoking is bad for you.

In this example the verb "smoke" has ing at the end and acts as the subject of the clause and is therefore a noun.

Running is good exercise.

Sucking on tits makes me happy.
Lurker
0 likes
Cumming on tits makes us both happy.

So proud of myself for using a gerund!