last reply
15 replies
2.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hi
So there are times when it's nice to chat outside of Lush and for many of us, Yahoo Messenger has done the job nicely. But the new "upgrade" that they have forced on us in the past week is just utterly awful.

Does anyone have recommendations for a different chat program?

Thanks
Jx
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Maybe Google Hangouts. I gave up on Yahoo Messenger years ago due to it being so glitchy and easily hacked.
0 likes
I don't chat or IM much but my wife uses WeChat, a Chinese-owned service to communicate with her family in China (she's originally from Shanghai). It's a bit more extensive than Yahoo Messenger in that it includes some social networking (e.g. photo sharing) features and voice/video calling but it does seem to work well just as an IM system. Down side: not many users on this side of the Pacific.

My teenaged son seems to be mostly using Facebook Messenger but it depends on whether you want your IM tied to your FB. If not, then probably not an option, though you could create a fake FB profile just for messaging I guess (though I know FB would frown on it).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
has a chat app along with it that is pretty easy to use.
Lurker
0 likes
Skype?
0 likes
Quote by MostPreciousLittle
Skype?

True enough. I think people tend to forget it has IM as well as voice and video calling. In fact, it replaced the old Windows/MSN Messenger a couple years ago.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
if ya take two soup cans and tie a string from one to the other...

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Become pen pals?
0 likes
Now you ladies are talkin'. Bring back good old-fashioned methods of communication. Enough with the newfangled Intarwebs stuff.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

True enough. I think people tend to forget it has IM as well as voice and video calling. In fact, it replaced the old Windows/MSN Messenger a couple years ago.

Skype is great.

We're only joking! Lol.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
New version of Yahoo messenger is literally a downgrade of the earlier one. Yahoo is going to lose most of it's users. I use Google hangout which is really good.. can even make calls at very reasonable rates..
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
as i understand it,theyre going to completely get rid of Yahoo messenger before the end of the year
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I like Telegram for messaging. Cross platform (mobile as well as PC/Mac), end to end encryption, option for large group chats as well.
Chat Moderator
0 likes
Found an app that I used once or twice called CoverMe... auto deletes messages if you want...
characterized by intense feeling; passionate; fervent

Intensely devoted, eager, or enthusiastic; zealous

vehement; fierce burning, fiery, or hot