1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
How faithful are you?
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Not religious at all and quite faithful.

Never cheated, but I did allow myself to fall in love with someone else once while in a relationship. Looking back I waited too long with ending the relationship. Long time ago.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Faithful atheist. Religion causes problems and is all about money
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Staunch atheist.

Religions may be great from the inside but without exception they are ridiculous from the outside - even taking into account the belief or lack of belief of a supreme being.
Madam Carol
0 likes
Not religious.

Faithful to what? My husband? My principles? Political beliefs? Biblical standards? Ten Commandments? Kinda like asking if I have sinned. If I said I didn't you'd know I was lying. Most people believe they are good people. Most would say they are faithful... Except... For that one time.

So what's a faithful atheist look like? If you aim for nothing you hit it every time. Having no standard moral code or having one you change by the situation is extremely easy to adhere to.

Am I faithful? Yes... Am I completly and flawlessly faithful? Not even close.
0 likes
I'm probably best described as agnostic, at this point.

However, I have a very strong moral code even if I don't get it from belief in God. I believe in the Golden Rule, which pre-dates Christianity by two thousand years. I believe in all things, to do no harm where possible. I believe in exercising empathy and using it when dealing with people. I am very faithful to this, though not perfect.
0 likes
I'm religious in a manner of speaking, but not in a conventional way. I don't believe in a personal God or follow teachings of any particular tradition beyond the principles of UU'ism (which are more about how we live together than doctrine). Rather, I seek the beautiful, awesome, and wondrous in existence and make that my "ultimate reality". It's kind of, sort of, pantheism. What am I faithful to?

I am faithful to the idea that the questions are as important as the answers and that in life the journey matters as much as, or more than, the destination.

I am faithful to being curious about the universe and to learning more about it.

I am faithful to living in awe and wonder at the Cosmos that we live in and that gives us life.

I am faithful to the UU priniciples, esp. to respecting the inherent worth and dignity of every person and respecting the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
LOL, I may have misinterpreted the question. Oh well ;)

Quote by HotWife4U
So what's a faithful atheist look like? If you aim for nothing you hit it every time. Having no standard moral code or having one you change by the situation is extremely easy to adhere to.

I believe I've seen you make similar claims about atheists before. To say that atheist aim for nothing or that they change their moral code by the situation comes off as rather uninformed if I may say so.

People in general have morals they live by and values they believe in, whether they get them from religion, culture, their upbringing, reasoning or anywhere else. They probably get them from many of those sources combined. And morals/values are almost never fixed for any single person: people change, get older and experience different things over time. This is not different for atheists as it is for theists. Theists may have religious texts that are static, but the interpretation/assesment of those texts does change over time as well.

Atheists may not believe in a supernatural external entity that guides them in their moral decision making, but they nevertheless have morals and values that they live by, believe in. Changing those in every situation would be like an act of complete disrespect to oneself.
That doesn't mean there are no hypocrits among atheists of course. Because atheists are only as human as theists.

No one has a standard moral code, not in practice anyway. Each and everyone has their own tweaks. We all make individual choices because we all live unique lives.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Madam Carol
0 likes
Fist of all you continue to misquote me. I said, if you read my first statement that I am NOT a religious person. Which you edited out of your quote conveniently. Second is that you continue these same threads baiting others to spread your atheist beliefs. I see you no different than an evangelist pushing their beliefs on anothers.

What is your mission? To enlighten others about the benefits of unbelief? I was alluding to a person having faith. Faith in what? There are many things to have fath in. Faith in yourself and your ability? Faith in the government? Faith in the law? The constitution? And so on.

I'm not saying that atheists are immoral people I'm just saying that they are defined by what the don't believe in. In all my years as an educator I've never seen a convincing argument for unbelief. The beauty of religious freedom is it gives everyone the right to believe or believe in nothing. It's when the atheists try and change our traditions, holidays, and even our money that it angers me. How does removing the Ten Commandments from the capital building help society or removing a nativity scene from my son's school benefit your evangelistic crusade of unbelief?

I've said enough. I have a fervent belief arguing changes no one. This is my last reply.

Carol, signing off.
Lurker
0 likes
So to redirect the thread to the OP...

I am an atheist, kind of in the middle between "gnostic atheism" and "agnostic atheism". What I mean by that, I'm fairly certain there is no god, but I acknowledge that there's no hard evidence either way.

Other than occasionally going to the Quaker meetinghouse that my parents go to watch children plays' once or twice a year, I'm a faithful atheist. I have faith that there is no god. ;-)

But in all seriousness, I try to be faithful to my beliefs of having a good heart, and trying to reflect that in my actions. This is in spite of the fact that I'm all IRL.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Not religious at all, just a Christian. Being religious is man attempting to please God, being a Christian is believing God. Yes, in a lot of things.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am not a proponent of organized religion, so I would not say I am religious. I have my beliefs and live by them.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by wiseowl
Not religious at all, just a Christian. Being religious is man attempting to please God, being a Christian is believing God. Yes, in a lot of things.

no wonder they call u a wise owl..

Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I thought I was an atheist until I got into college and took some philosophy courses, and discovered I was actually an agnostic. The distinction is probably hair-splitting to anyone but a philosopher, but atheism implies a belief that there is no god, but that is a belief in the absence of any provable evidence. Since this is an unverifiable question, it makes no sense to believe or disbelieve, but simply realize it is a moot question that no one can know either way. So the logical position is agnosticism, which is an assertion that one simply does not know, but further distinguishes that it is a non-issue since nothing empirical can settle the question through either deductive or inductive logic.
Troublemaker
0 likes
I'm 100% faithful to myself and that's all the religion I need.
0 likes
Quote by Oscar73
Faithful atheist. Religion causes problems and is all about money

Couldn't have said it better myself.
0 likes
I am not a Christian, nor am I Hindu, Muslim or Jewish. I am spiritual. I don't believe in Hell though. Not one bit. I believe that our spirits continue on to the next plane of existence as a NATURAL progression. This has nothing to do, IMO, with a greater being. It's not like St. Peter at the Pearly Gates has a red light and a green light. It just is. I also believe that negative energy attracts negative energy and positive energy attracts positive energy. If you want to interpret that has Heaven or Hell, then I guess you could.

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
When I was 13, I came to the stark discovery that the church I was raised in (Southern Baptist) was FOS. At that age, calling yourself an agnostic seemed a lot safer than atheist. However, as I got older, I discovered that there were far more flim flam artists out there who discovered just how many marks there were who started telling them that they spoke for GOD. That's when they discovered just how fun it was to have their own private jet that the marks paid for willingly. P.T. Barnum was right. There really is a sucker born every minute. I am proud to say that I am an atheist. As to the faithful question, I am faithful to the ideals of secular humanism. I believe in empathy, the Golden Rule and women's orgasms should always be first, and sometimes second, too. If I can put one smile on one person's face, that day is a success IMO.

Let me correct something that may be misconstrued in the previous paragraph. I did not intend to infer that all people of faith are fools or suckers. Not all churchgoing folks fit into a nice, neat pigeonhole. Plenty of them are really nice, sincere people. My criticism is mostly for the megachurch preachers who cynically use their positions to live in the lap of luxury.