Login

Your Lucky Escape

last reply
8 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Convict
0 likes
Have you ever looked back on an event in your life and decided you'd had a lucky escape from some type of danger? I'm not talking about the relationship kind but I'm not silly enough not to expect at least one smartassed answer.

I have a death-defying feat myself.

A group of us used to go camping on Moreton Island. A mostly uninhabited island popular for camping, fishing, driving through soft sand and drinking beer.

Most of the group had gone elsewhere to fish for the day so the few girls left decided to go for a swim. Frolicking, splashing, lots of fun. Went back to sit on the sand, facing the water because a sunset was near. Then we saw a fin in the water. "Oh yay". Dolphins! Then we saw the eyes and teeth. It was a fucking Shark swimming exactly where we had just got out of the water. We looked at each other and all ran back to where the tents were. I don't know why because it wasn't like the shark was gonna come running after us. That was 9 years ago and it still unsettles me. Oh by the way, you should NEVER swim in an ocean near dusk. Obviously we didn't know that then.

What kind of dumb and/or dangerous thing have you had a lucky escape from?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Big Nancy from Dumbarton. She took me home after the pub closed, locked the front door and said I wasn't getting out until I had sorted her out. Three hours later after lots of heavy sweaty sex, she passed out. I grabbed my jeans and legged it......?
My Karma just ran over your Dogma
living dead girl
0 likes
I have had lots but the one that comes to mind happend three years ago..
I had spent a long day tubing down the river with my husband and we finally stopped near the railroad tracks
We had a quite a ways to walk and my husband decided that walking down the tracks would be the fastest way
So we started down them and I started to quote from the train scene on " Stand by me"" I got to the part where Gordy reaches down to touch the tracks to see when the next train is due when all at once my husband screamed TRAIN!!! I thought he was joking then all at once I heard the board if the train horn turned I was within touching distance
I barely had time to jump and land in a bed of thorns

It turns out trains unless right up on you are pretty quiet..
Quantum Tease
0 likes
Interesting topic... I suspect we've all had a number of close calls. Vanessa's reminds me of a train incident of my own. My husband and I were driving back to the apartment where we lived when first married. There was a train track to be crossed and, stupidly, we tried to beat the (visible) oncoming train. The car stalled just as the front was on the track. Fortunately, there was a bit of a grade backwards and we rolled out of the way. We went home and had sex.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was in high school, living in Corpus Christi, Texas and decided to visit my mother, who lived in Dallas at the time. The cheapest way to get there was by hitchhiking. I was thumbing just north of Georgetown on I-35 when a beat-up old Ford pulled over. The driver was a disheveled looking guy with crazy eyes. He said he was going to Waco. I got in and as soon as we were up to speed, he turned up the volume on the radio, which was tuned to a Christian station featuring fire and brimstone. We had gone about ten miles when the driver pulled over for a hitchhiking soldier, who said he was also going to Waco. Pretty soon, the driver had invited both of us to come to his house in Waco for dinner. I declined because I needed to get to Dallas. Besides, this guy was creeping me out. I got to my mother's house around 9:30. I was eating a late dinner when the 10:00 news came on. One of the lead stories was about a dead soldier found in Waco. Later, I read that the killer was that driver.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was traveling alone won a bus from Belize to Guatemala city in the early eighties. No one knew where I was in the world at this point in time. There was some insurgency in Guatemala In the early eighties. Americans were in general disfavor in Central America. Some rebels stopped the bus and ordered everyone off the bus, chickens and all. We were all held at gunpoint by rebels with AK 47's. After searching the bus they examined the passengers. I stood out as the only gringo. I was 8-12" taller than all the others (largely Guatemalan / Indian) with long blonde hair. In short, I stood out from the others. The rebels argued among themselves and I could hear "seah, seah" and then the would point to me with their rifles. It took a few minutes for me to understand that they were saying "CIA, CIA."

So they searched my backpack (tent, cooking utensils, sleeping bag, etc.) and found nothing sinster. They eventually let us all go on our way. I felt that it would have been very easy for them to shoot me and toss my body in the surrounding jungle. Since no one knew where I was, my parents would never know what happened to me. I turned around and headed back to Belize and then onward to the US via Mexico.

It was a close call.
0 likes
Survived a couple car crashes but, man, nothing to match these stories. Glad you're all still here to talk about it.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Sprite once sent a team of assassins after me but she luckily gave them my neighbor's address.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by vanessa26
I have had lots but the one that comes to mind happend three years ago..
I had spent a long day tubing down the river with my husband and we finally stopped near the railroad tracks
We had a quite a ways to walk and my husband decided that walking down the tracks would be the fastest way
So we started down them and I started to quote from the train scene on " Stand by me"" I got to the part where Gordy reaches down to touch the tracks to see when the next train is due when all at once my husband screamed TRAIN!!! I thought he was joking then all at once I heard the board if the train horn turned I was within touching distance
I barely had time to jump and land in a bed of thorns

It turns out trains unless right up on you are pretty quiet..

I've had 2,
One was like Vanessa's but not as dramatic. I had a friend who was into photography and I decided I would like some graduation pics taken on railroad tracks. I'd seen some posted on some of my friends Facebook page and thought they would look nice on mine. While taking them this guy was running up to us at a full sprint pointing his finger and yelling something when it dawn on me he was yelling at us. I was posed for the next pictures and looked down the tracks and that's when I noticed the train. I was so into the pictures I didn't see it. I yelled for her to get off the tracks and we both stood there as the train went by. I didn't realize until later in college while reading a magazine that I read that a lot of people were being killed on railroad tracks while taking pictures. It was then that I realized how dangerous and lucky we were. And Vanessa is right, I never heard it coming. To this day I do not know how the stranger caught my eye and yet the train in front of me went unnoticed.
The second was while driving a gasoline truck pulled out of a gas station. It had been raining and it was cold. I tried to stop but my car wasn't stopping. I remember hearing a lot of loud buzzing noises which later I learned was the anti-lock brakes. I knew I was going to crash into it. I didn't, the next memory was seeing these people banging on my window and shouting. My hands were clinched to the steering wheel. Someone broke the passenger window and this lady sat in my car with me holding my hands until I started crying. It wasn't funny but I remember telling her I pee'd all over myself. The only reason I remembered that part so vividly was because of what she said to me. That's okay dear, so did I.
Now that I'm thinking about it there was also another time. I posted that one in one of the "Have you ever had sex in a car" forum.
Maybe I should start rethinking my life choices.