Communication question

last reply
9 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
As a relative newcomer to Lush, I am still trying to figure things out. It appears as if many people keep their status as "Away - Unavailable to chat", even if they are in fact online. If you always show your status as "away", how would a friend know you were online to begin a conversation?

That seems very confusing to me....you make friends here to have someone to chat with, yet they seem to always be away, even when you can see them posting in the forums, etc.

Thanks
Newbie Becky
Detention Seeker
0 likes
Hi Becky many of us make ourselves offline either to read undisturbed but writers often will to when writing. Welcome to Lush were a friendly site really honest!
Lurker
0 likes
In my experience, people including me tend to set to away when focused on something, or if we're just not feeling like chatting. You can always send an inbox, and let them know you're around and that you would love to chat!...

but

also in my experience ... it's common that people will add someone after an initial chat, and then never speak to them again. Like a one-night stand...

either way, welcome to Lush and I hope you enjoy your stay
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by TexasBecky
As a relative newcomer to Lush, I am still trying to figure things out. It appears as if many people keep their status as "Away - Unavailable to chat", even if they are in fact online. If you always show your status as "away", how would a friend know you were online to begin a conversation?

That seems very confusing to me....you make friends here to have someone to chat with, yet they seem to always be away, even when you can see them posting in the forums, etc.

Thanks
Newbie Becky

The 'online' ability for people to drop you a black box can get annoying. And being 'away' when you really aren't wanting to chat is polite. I love to chat, though, so I'm often not away. however, i've had browser issues in the past that made me go 'away' just because I couldn't adequately chat with people. (in this case, I set an away message so people couldn't actually send me anything, they'd just get the message)

However, there's actually a feature in lush (not sure how many even know about it). You can select who can see you online and who cannot. You can only do it through the 'Friends' listing. (hover your mouse over your 'avatar' above, then hover over 'settings' and go to 'friends' in the next menu that drops down). Once there, you can click to select which friends can see you online NO MATTER WHAT. Such a person shows up as a green box. Even so, if you're away, they'll see you're away.

Otherwise, there is another feature when you click the 'online' option (next to 'mail') that lets only friends see you online. It's generalized.

Regardless of whether you're 'online - all' or 'online - friends only' . . . your green boxed friends will always be able to see you online.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As I've said before, although no longer new to the site, I'm still confused by many things. Just a few minutes ago when I logged on I got a notice that someone wanted to chat with me. I had no idea how to respond. I would have said yes. When the request disappeared I couldn't remember the "name", so I couldn't go to his profile.
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
i don’t get that either; you might as well be set as invisible.

EDIT: this is in reference to people who are always set at away. not the person who does it occasionally.

Say. Her. Name.

Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I learned early on to stay invisible because every time I showed online on Lush, there would be 5+ guys wanting to chat at once. My close friends all know I keep a tab open on Lush both at work and at home, so if they try a BB, I'll respond if I'm close enough to hear the chime, and not otherwise occupied.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I am almost always invisible, and just tell people to BB me, and if I'm around I will answer it. I have kids around, and I am often working as well, so I jump on and off Lush for quick periods of time, and don't have time for extended conversations.

I think I have hurt people's feelings by friending them and then rarely talking to them, but it still lets me see what they post on their blog or in the Forum. I friend people I think are interesting. Even if I don't carry on conversations, I can still see what they are up to.