The Bearenst#in Bear Problem

last reply
35 replies
2.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I just stumbled onto this, but there are vast areas of the internet obsessed with it.

Remember the Bearenstein Bears books from when you were a kid? Do you remember them well? Google it: it's not spelled "Bearenstein" but "Bearenstain."

It's seems like that can't possibly be true, but it is.

That so many people remember it spelled "...stein" is supposed to be evidence or either a) a glitch in the "matrix" of the computer simulation we are all currently living in, or b) time travelers who went back in time, stepped on a butterfly or something, and inadvertently changed how the title is spelled.

From a conspiracy website: "At some point between the years 1986 and 2011, someone traveled back in time and inadvertently altered the timeline of human history so that the Berenstein Bears somehow became the Berenstain Bears. This is why everyone remembers the name incorrectly; it was Berenstein when we were kids, but at some point when we weren't paying attention, someone went back in time and rippled our life experience ever so slightly."

It's also called the Mandala effect, because so many people remember Nelson Mandala dying back in the 80s (he died in 2013). There are a bunch of other examples, most of them bizarre, some of them believable.

Thoughts? Is it a glitch in the Matrix? Time travel? Or people with access to the internet and WAY too much time on their hands.
Fancy Schmancy
0 likes
I thought the people who wrote them were named "stain." Or they were German. Or something.
Charming as fuck
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

It's also called the Mandala effect, because so many people remember Nelson Mandala dying back in the 80s (he died in 2013).

Okay, did the same time travellers change Nelson Mandela to Nelson Mandala!? smile
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by Jen

Okay, did the same time travellers change Nelson Mandela to Nelson Mandala!? smile

No, that's called the "Verbal spells very badly" effect.
Normal Adjacent
0 likes
Never heard that story before. I do remember spending a lot of time reading them to my kids and I think we owned around 40 or so of those books. I just resented that those books made my kids decide that we needed family meetings and that the kids should get a vote in some things. Silly kids, didn't realize they weren't in a democracy but a dictatorship.

I am going with access to Google and way too much time on your hands. That and raising kids makes you a little loopy, dude.
Fancy Schmancy
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

No, that's called the "Verbal spells very badly" effect.

But cute as a button!!
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by Verbal
I just stumbled onto this, but there are vast areas of the internet obsessed with it.

Remember the Bearenstein Bears books from when you were a kid? Do you remember them well? Google it: it's not spelled "Bearenstein" but "Bearenstain."

It's seems like that can't possibly be true, but it is.

That so many people remember it spelled "...stein" is supposed to be evidence or either a) a glitch in the "matrix" of the computer simulation we are all currently living in, or b) time travelers who went back in time, stepped on a butterfly or something, and inadvertently changed how the title is spelled.

From a conspiracy website: "At some point between the years 1986 and 2011, someone traveled back in time and inadvertently altered the timeline of human history so that the Berenstein Bears somehow became the Berenstain Bears. This is why everyone remembers the name incorrectly; it was Berenstein when we were kids, but at some point when we weren't paying attention, someone went back in time and rippled our life experience ever so slightly."

It's also called the Mandala effect, because so many people remember Nelson Mandala dying back in the 80s (he died in 2013). There are a bunch of other examples, most of them bizarre, some of them believable.

Thoughts? Is it a glitch in the Matrix? Time travel? Or people with access to the internet and WAY too much time on their hands.

The time traveler theory makes no sense as all people who remember it as the "Berenstein Bears" clearly still remember the unaltered past. So, with the book changing its title, but its readers not changing their memory of it, what this theory is suggesting is that a single future could have two different pasts. This would mean that changing the past does have no effect on the future at all, and that in turn would mean that the title could have been anything anyway.
I think the glitch in the matrix, or whatever you want to call it, makes more sense here. I don't believe either though and had never heard of them to be honest.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Lady GlitterGiggles
0 likes
Hmmm yeah. I actually did know that. Ha! I swear!! A couple years ago one of my kids brought home a Berenstein Bears book. But it was actually the Berenstain Bears. They pronounce it STAIN not STEEN. Wtf?! After days stuck in that Google hole I found the name had been changed. I had to record a couple episode of the cartoon to hear it's new pronunciation, thinking it would still sound the same. It doesn't. Not at all.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by noll

The time traveler theory makes no sense as all people who remember it as the "Berenstein Bears" clearly still remember the unaltered past. So, with the book changing its title, but its readers not changing their memory of it, what this theory is suggesting is that a single future could have two different pasts. This would mean that changing the past does have no effect on the future at all, and that in turn would mean that the title could have been anything anyway.
I think the glitch in the matrix, or whatever you want to call it, makes more sense here. I don't believe either though and had never heard of them to be honest.

Yeah, you are right,the time travel theory has some holes in it. A glitch in the matrix makes more sense.

And no, I don't really believe it either. But it's fun to think about. Occam's Razor points to a lot of people simply misremembering it, since you expect it to be "stein." But I don't absolutely rule out the possibility that the spelling changed, for some reason too bizarre to ever comprehend. Reality is tricksy. There is alotta weird stuff out there we don't understand, and never will.
0 likes
I remember it as Bearenstein Bears, too...however, I think at that point in my life books were being read to me. I'll have to ask my mom what she remembers.
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
I also remember it as Bearenstein. I just happen to have an old copy of a Bearenstein Bears book at home. I'll take a picture of it when I get there and post it for conclusive evidence of one or the other. smile
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by RavenStar
I also remember it as Bearenstein. I just happen to have an old copy of a Bearenstein Bears book at home. I'll take a picture of it when I get there and post it for conclusive evidence of one or the other. smile

PLEASE take a pic and post! Fall down the rabbit-hole with the Berensteinites!
Lurker
0 likes
I always pronounced it 'stain' but each time said WTF, why is it spelled 'stein'

Or was it the other way...

I just thought it was a British thing (insert Trump's WRONG)
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
We're wrong, and there's a very good reason why.
0 likes
I remember it as "Berenstein" but I also haven't read them in a long time. My son never got into them much so I really haven't given them much attention since my youngest brother was little, which would be the late seventies-early eighties.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by RavenStar
We're wrong, and there's a very good reason why.

And what is that reason? The Bearenstainites have gotten to you, haven't they?

From a blog: "Numerous people have made similar claims and promised to go home and check that night. Either they were never heard from again, or they reported back with pictures of their books saying "Berenstain". They have gone up in to their parents' attics, pulled out dusty old cardboard boxes, and there, in their hands, were the books from their childhood... except they've been changed somehow and now say 'Berenstain.'"
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Lol. I took a picture, but the forums wouldn't let me post it then. Let me try now.

Nope, still no dice. It's a conspiracy. I'll post it to your wall. Study it carefully, then tell me what you see. ;)
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

Ah, but do you know why it's stain and not stein?
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by RavenStar

Ah, but do you know why it's stain and not stein?

No - tell me!.

And do you know the REAL reason you couldn't upload that photo earlier? A hint: I remember when this site was run by nikola.
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

No - tell me!.

And do you know the REAL reason you couldn't upload that photo earlier? A hint: I remember when this site was run by nikola.

Lol.

The reason is that the books were written by Stan and Jan Berenstain! That's a picture of them up above. Look at the author on the books! silly

And I did find out why I couldn't post it. It was a stupid mistake on my part.
0 likes
Quote by RavenStar

Lol.

The reason is that the books were written by Stan and Jan Berenstain! That's a picture of them up above. Look at the author on the books! silly

Was it because your screen went wide and you couldn't see the upload button? That's two hours of my life I'll never get back and two IQ points I'll never see again.
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

Was it because your screen went wide and you couldn't see the upload button? That's two hours of my life I'll never get back and two IQ points I'll never see again.

No, though sometimes I do get thwarted by my screen width. It was actually because the picture was too big, but it wasn't telling me that. It was just throwing some non specific forum error. But I should have known that. I should have. Blah.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
wait... they're bears? fucking hell, i grew up being read 'the berenstain bunnies'... my childhood was a complete lie! FUCKING SOMEONE IS GOING TO FUCKING PAY FOR THIS!

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

The Linebacker
0 likes
I would much rather have a STEIN than a STAIN.

Lady GlitterGiggles
0 likes
Quote by RavenStar

Lol.

smile So much for the conspiracy.
Lady GlitterGiggles
0 likes
Quote by sprite
wait... they're bears? fucking hell, i grew up being read 'the berenstain bunnies'... my childhood was a complete lie! FUCKING SOMEONE IS GOING TO FUCKING PAY FOR THIS!

Their names are...sister BEAR, brother BEAR, etc. I am somewhat surprised you didn't catch on.....