Question for authors ...

last reply
12 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Question for authors who write in multiple genres, but also a wide variety different sexual/erotic stories.

Often authors use a pen name for erotica if they also write something else, be it romance, historical etc. However, how about if you write two very different kinds of erotica, so for example real world m/m and also fantasy/supernatural erotica?

Does it benefit to use two names, or is erotica always erotica?
0 likes
For me, erotica is always going to be erotica. I write everything blue under Ava Burquette and everything non-erotic under another name.

I guess a writer could write erotic mystery under one name and erotic horror under another and erotic historical under yet a third. Or give a separate authorship to more taboo stuff. To me, that just feels like dividing your readership, though.
Lurker
0 likes
I've considered it, but since I only write here, it was problematic for a number of reasons, and I decided against it.

First, multiple accounts are against the terms of service. Secondly, I know there would be a certain amount of temptation to allow any different pen names I created to vote for my own and friends' stories multiple times. Finally, I think it would divide any readership I have.

I know that from my end, I like certain genres certainly, but above that, I like and respect and follow certain writers. If VirgoGo or Burquette or Milik (though I think he's done writing here) were to write a story in a genre or about a topic I wouldn't ordinarily check out, I'll read it because *they* wrote it, and most likely enjoy it as well, because it's almost certainly going to be a great story.

Similarly, I hope that over time I've accrued a few followers who will read what I write regardless of what category it happens to be in, hopefully because they think my writing is strong.

It is interesting, though, how what you know, or think you know, about an author can affect how you react to a story they post. I've wondered if certain stories I've written have benefitted or suffered from the fact that my readers understand me to be a straight guy in my mid 40s. Would reactions be different to, say, Gold-Medal Whore, be different if they thought a 20-something woman wrote it? Hard to say, but interesting to think about.
Lurker
0 likes
I write a large number of things. Sometimes I want to write a lot in a genre, other times I'm just wanting to experiment. So I could have numerous story concepts in mind or just one. I've written everything from Fantasy Romance to Hardcore BDSM Erotica and Dominant Wife stories, ghost, paranormal, sex slavery, anal fisting, pain sluts. . .

When you write Erotica they really drill it into your head to publish 1 kink under 1 name. But when you're really authoring it up like I do, there's no sensibility behind that. That's tedious, fussy, and an exhausting waste of time. I want my readers to access ALL my stories IF they want.

So I now have 3 pen names (1: Literary / Romance oriented stuff. 2: Fetish and Taboo Erotica, where I write a number of story concepts, kinks, and sub-niches, not just focusing on one. 3: Dominant Wife / Mistress . . . female on male domination.)

I have my main website and through that website you can go to my other websites / pages where my other works are listed.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
For me, one pen name is enough and people get to know you

I took the name "Gray Ghost" from a Confederate Civil War Officer-see what happens when you know too much history
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
I already write here under a pseudonym.

("You mean 'Just_a_guy_you_know' isn't your real legal name?"
No it isn't.
"I bet your pic is fake, too. I bet you're not even a tea cup in real life, either."
No.
"My entire worldview has been shattered! How can I ever trust anything on the internet ever again?")

While I've dabbled in several different categories, I don't see much point in disguising the authorship any further. I think publishing under a single pen name shows off the diversity of your writing talent, while using multiple identities means you have to build up a following for each one.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by GrayGhost
For me, one pen name is enough and people get to know you

I took the name "Gray Ghost" from a Confederate Civil War Officer-see what happens when you know too much history

ditto...one should it...
Lurker
0 likes
Thank you all for your input! Very interesting.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hi. I write under two different pen-names at this time, just to reduce confusion in the people who read my work. (If you happen to be one of those people...Thank You!)

My erotic stories, co-written with my wife's distinct influence, are all released under the name Ken Lukin.

My sci-fi and other serious or humorous stories are released as Kenneth R Loomis.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I write under the same name for all my stories no matter the genre, however my tumblr site itself has another name "Mon Stylo Erotica". I still write under my name - if you look at the copyright info, you'll see Master Jonathan, but the site name is different.

I think a good pen name can work no matter what you write. Now if you call yourself BigCock2016 or something, it may limit you!
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
Some may find this hard to believe, but no one has ever admitted to thinking my 'Lush' handle was my real name. Just FWIW, over on 'Stories Space' my name is, Rumple deWriter. The powers that be over there at the time I joined felt my Lush name was a bit too, you know, bold.

BTW, I agree that it's probably best to stick with no more than one pen name per site.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN