Login

HPV - Public Service Announcement

last reply
7 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The political discussions have outed me.

I have cancer. Specifically, a Stage 4 Squamous Cell Carcinoma in my throat and tongue. It has been linked to Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) 16. I look for no sympathy. My younger days have caught up with me. This is a rapidly growing cancer in the US. The vast majority of these infections are asymptomatic and are passed through sex. Apparently Oral sex is a leading cause of these throat cancers (women tend to get Cervical cancer instead). There is a striking similarity between the cells in the mucus membranes of the throat and those of the cervix.

Here is my PSA:

There is a vaccine for HPV that can be administered to young women and men that would protect them from being infected. It is important to do this before they become sexually active. If you are a parent, I encourage you to vaccinate your children. It may prevent them from having cancer in their forties or fifties.

Don't let them be like me.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by Regnadkcin
There is a vaccine for HPV that can be administered to young women and men that would protect them from being infected. It is important to do this before they become sexually active. If you are a parent, I encourage you to vaccinate your children. It may prevent them from having cancer in their forties or fifties.

Don't let them be like me.

This!

And while you're not looking for sympathy I wish you all the strength you'll need.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Thank you for this, Shawn. I think it's pretty important that people are aware of this - a simple trip to the Drs. office could save you some pain and suffering. And like Noll, i wish you strength and hope, peace and love.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Thank you.

I was aware of this with regards to girls and I have just double checked and it is offered to all girls in schools as part of the NHS vaccine programme for children at around age 12. I was aware of this but thought it was only given to girls to prevent cervical cancer. I was until now unaware that this is a vaccine that should be given to boys too and I see that it is not offered here to them. I will certainly look into this as I do not mess about when it comes to vaccinations for my children, my children have them all and I will want my son vaccinated for this too. I will speak to our GP about it next time one of us has an appointment.

Thank you again, this was most informative and helpful.

I also wish you strength and hope and love
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I wish my cousin had been given this vaccine. She tested positive for HPV a few years ago but has mercifully not yet developed any cancer. May you be granted endurance and little pain as you face this. I shepherded my grandmother through cancer treatment, and know first hand how life-changing just facing the treatments can be.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
I wish my cousin had been given this vaccine. She tested positive for HPV a few years ago but has mercifully not yet developed any cancer. May you be granted endurance and little pain as you face this. I shepherded my grandmother through cancer treatment, and know first hand how life-changing just facing the treatments can be.

Most don't develop cancer until they turn 50 or so. However, as encouragement, many who have been infected with HPV do not get cancer. There are two strains of HPV which are linked to head and neck & Cervical cancers, strains 16 and 19. You may want to encourage your cousin to test for the particular strains if she hasn't done so already.

As somewhat of small solace, some who are infected will never develop cancer - but I can't give you the percentages. My best wishes are for your cousin and others infected.
Lurker
0 likes
Thanks for your message and I'm truly sorry to hear that. I hope you recover fully.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Update, the Centers for Desease Control (CDC) reported that deaths of women from cervical cancers have been understated sustantially. Some of this is attributable to lack of access to healthcare and the inclusion of women who have had a hysterectomy in the data set. Some of it is attributable to non-use of the HPV vaccine by both men and women. I hesitate to use exact percentages in this as I have not examined the data and methodology used even though the CDC is a highly reputable source.

In my professional life (non-musical), I work with these types of epidemiological data. Peer review of data is a priveledge and honor ensuring accuracy and truth rather than "Alternative Facts" as some like to call them. Just good science.

As a disclaimer, I have no interests professionally or financially in the makers of the HPV Vaccine.