Login

View Counts, Votes and Comments

last reply
7 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
With so many good stories on Lush, how do you make your story stand out to be read?
Once you have a reader, how do you encourage them to vote for your story?
Once you have a voting reader, how do you encourage a comment?

I have a story that has 18,000+ views, but only 10 votes and 3 comments.
What am I doing wrong?

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/group-sex/the-poker-game.aspx
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Usually promotion is what you can do. Here, on your blog, on Twitter, anywhere else you can think of. I don't much like harassing my readers, so I don't mass email.

Your 18,000+ views are likely majority non members, so they can't vote or comment. A lot of members will read but not vote or comment. It's their choice. You could add a quick sentence at the end of the story asking the readers to vote and comment if they liked it. A simple, straightforward suggestion usually works. smile
Primus Omnium
0 likes
Quote by LoverBoy20
With so many good stories on Lush, how do you make your story stand out to be read?
Once you have a reader, how do you encourage them to vote for your story?
Once you have a voting reader, how do you encourage a comment?

I have a story that has 18,000+ views, but only 10 votes and 3 comments.
What am I doing wrong?

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/group-sex/the-poker-game.aspx

I just made a cursory glance at your profile. Is it true you only have five stories posted? How can one build up any kind of readership or following with so few works to offer potential viewers. I see you have been here since 2011. I joined in 2012. I now have over 400 stories and poems.

I noted you have 6 followers, but you are following no one. Sometimes authors enjoy being appreciated by other writers. Try following a few people, commenting and scoring. Perhaps they will follow you back and return the favor by reading and commenting on your work.

And just be aware. The views are more important than the scores and comments. Those will never reach substantial numbers, unless you are lucky enough to become a truly elite author here. I'm not one, but there are a few.

Best of luck
Lurker
0 likes
If one writes a-plenty, the readers will come. I write for my personal satisfaction, and if I attract some followers, I am pleased. Votes and comments, don't me a thing, unless ones slings the ink.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Personally, I think that if you focus on views, comments and scores as some kind of score board as to how well you write, you are stifling yourself. It's like that old proverb, stabbing yourself many times and then wondering why you are unable to move forward. You'll find yourself catering to it and it becomes embarrassingly obvious. You become a cliche kind of writer. But, that may be all you want, you'll have to decide. There is absolutely nothing wrong with only wanting that.

I love readers, votes and comments. When they are good, they are definitely a source of encouragement. I won't lie about that. But, focusing on that isn't going to make you a better writer. Work on writing well.

I've said it before, I ain't too proud to beg for readers. I'll mass mail in a minute. I appreciate when some of my friends do it because I rarely get to the front page. If they think they have something good going on, by all means make it easy for me to find. Honestly, I find it hard to respect a writer that is too proud/self assured to need it or not confident enough to have enough faith to be bold enough and actively market their own stuff. That's a personal side bar for me though and I know a lot of people will object to that view. It's your call though. Honesty, I know some really good writers on here that just don't need to do anything but press submit. People are waiting for them to write something/anything. I'm not one of them, wish I was but I'm not. There is no wrong or right. If the writing is good, those that appreciate the note will let you know. Those that don't, for whatever reason, can opt out.

Anyway...

If you're always reaching to write better stories, you will get better and more committed readers. As you progress they will grow along with you and you will pick up more. Your audience will find you. Don't concentrate on being prolific; concentrate on producing pieces that truly reflect what you are attaining to be as a writer.

Whatever you decide, have fun. All that other stuff won't matter so much.

But, it's just my personal view. I'll sneak back off into my little corner of Lush now.
? A True Story ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Okay I have made my feelings on this known to a few but I will post them here as well. Note this is just my opinion...

I feel that of votes comments and views, votes are the least important. I have even taken off scoring because it is unnecessary. Unless you are doing a competition, scores don't mean anything really. just a random "grade" given out by other amateur writers.

Next in my line of importance is comments. Comments can be helpful if the person writing them isn't just putting something down to be nice. I have had some very helpful comments which actually improved my writing.

Finally we get to Views. These are what you should be after, IMHO. Views count towards your story being Famous. They show that people are reading your story and that your name is getting out there.

The O.P. was complaining that they were getting views but not scores or comments. Well for me, that's what matters most anyway.

I write my stories for me - not for scores or comments or views. The fact that I get views is a happy coincidence - I'm on a site with a whole lotta other perverts! smile But as for comments, leave 'em if you wish but I don't require them. And in your comment, you can tell me what you would have scored if you could have, if you want too.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
while i'm not hung up on votes and comments, it is kind of a nice little boost to get them - more than anything, it's just a note that someone read my story and was moved enough to say as much. there's a couple of people on here, you guys know you you are, who are hard on me sometimes, but i get that it's cause they care enough to not simply punch in a 5 and jet, so thanks Rumple and Wil.

and then there's Dancing Doll. to me, a story isn't finished until she leaves a comment. seriously, no pressure, but those little notes she leaves really elevate me for days on end. she's the girl i aspired to be on the same level one day when i first joined. i think i've done that because of her, not in spite of her. heart

as for the rest of you, i really do appreciate that you read them, and i hope you enjoy them, even if i am not good at sending off individual thank yous. in other words, thanks, all of you.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thank you all for the comments.
While I didn't think I was complaining, I was more curious what some authors did.
I thought the comments were very insightful.
They were very interesting (to me).
It is true that I have only 5 stories published here.
I tried to get a few more but they got rejected (twice) and I sort of gave up.
Plus I got very busy with other issues (or more accurately, I have spent my time pursuing other endeavours).
The original posting was to help me learn before attempting again.