RIP Billy Mays

last reply
30 replies
2.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
All these deaths this week are depressing. They really are.

TAMPA, Fla. AP – Billy Mays, the burly, bearded television pitchman whose boisterous hawking of products such as Orange Glo and OxiClean made him a pop-culture icon, has died. He was 50.

Tampa police said Mays was found unresponsive by his wife Sunday morning. A fire rescue crew pronounced him dead at 7:45 a.m. It was not immediately clear how he died. He reportedly was hit on the head when an airplane he was on made a rough landing Saturday, and Mays' wife told investigators the TV personality didn't feel well before he went to bed that night.

There were no signs of a break-in at the home, and investigators do not suspect foul play, said Lt. Brian Dugan of the Tampa Police Department, who wouldn't answer any more questions about how Mays' body was found because of the ongoing investigation. The coroner's office expects to have an autopsy done by Monday afternoon.

U.S. Airways confirmed Sunday that Mays was among the passengers on a flight that made a rough landing on Saturday afternoon at Tampa International Airport, leaving debris on the runway after apparently blowing its front tires.

Tampa Bay's Fox television affiliate interviewed Mays after the incident.

"All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping," MyFox Tampa Bay quoted him as saying. "It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."

McElroy said linking Mays' death to the rough landing Saturday afternoon would "purely be speculation." She said Mays' family members didn't report any health issues with the pitchman, but they said he was due to have hip replacement surgery in the coming weeks.
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
I KNEW that name sounded familiar!
♥ Listen, touch, and look around in the air and on the ground. If you watch all nature's things, you might just see a fairy's wings. ♥
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
They really are depressing! WTF is going on? Sheesh! I mean enough is enough already!
Lurker
0 likes
Could fit all of the RIPs in this section. eh?
Lurker
0 likes
Yes, now the media will try to make money off this. Pathetic.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by roccotool
Yes, now the media will try to make money off this. Pathetic.

Oh and I am sure the media will have a hayday with this!
Lurker
0 likes
Poor Guy!! I'll miss his loud voice on commercials!!
Lurker
0 likes
It woke me up in the morning!!
Lurker
0 likes
whose billy mays
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
Quote by elenai1230
whose billy mays

Seriously you dont know?? He's the oxi clean, and orage glo and numerous other products guy!
♥ Listen, touch, and look around in the air and on the ground. If you watch all nature's things, you might just see a fairy's wings. ♥
Lurker
0 likes
whose billy mays

Nobody really. A con man. Some liked to called them pitch men. They try to sell the public stuff that really is either cheap or just doesn't work. Americans are gulliable. We want to believe that everything is always coming up roses.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
whose billy mays

Nobody really. A con man. Some liked to called them pitch men. They try to sell the public stuff that really is either cheap or just doesn't work. Americans are gulliable. We want to believe that everything is always coming up roses.

hey!!! AMERICAN'S ARE NOT GULLIBLE! I'M AN AMERICAN SO WATCH YOUR MOUTH! please
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
whose billy mays

Actually, Mays was picky about what he did. If he didn't feel the product did what was advertised, he wouldn't do the commercial.
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
Quote by elenai1230
Quote by chefkathleen
whose billy mays

hey!!! AMERICAN'S ARE NOT GULLIBLE! I'M AN AMERICAN SO WATCH YOUR MOUTH! please

Whoa! Chill! Chef is just as much as an american as you are! She was just trying to answer your question.
Lurker
0 likes
CQ's right. I love OxyClean. Great stuff.
Lurker
0 likes
I think it's shit. Oxyclean I mean.

Actually, Mays was picky about what he did. If he didn't feel the product did what was advertised, he wouldn't do the commercial.

Then he should have done his research better. Saw something on tv about a couple of his products that didn't do what they/he said they would.

btw Thanks Pixiekins.m3kZmNVco78YkrSc
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
whose billy mays

Nobody really. A con man.

jesus.

I hear he was a really good person, but nah, it's easier just to call him names, isn't it?

Sorry the oxy-clean didn't work out for you, Chef.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Tough crowd here! Sheesh! The man is dead....who cares whether what he advertised worked or not? Just show some respect people!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
whose billy mays

Oh that is harsh! Looks like someone didn't get their guaranteed refund, LOL!

In all seriousness though, his job is just a part of who he was, it seems in bad taste to just throw a bad name at him because he sold products that may or may not work well. There are plenty of actual con men out there defrauding people, why spew venom at an enthusiastic salesman?
Lurker
0 likes
Telling the truth about someone whether living or dead is not wrong or harsh.

Oh that is harsh! Looks like someone didn't get their guaranteed refund, LOL!

Nope, told you that I watched his products being debunked on a news program.
Perhaps you won't get your panties in a bunch if I refer to the deceased as a pitchman.

noun, plural -men. 1. an itinerant vendor of small wares that are usually carried in a case with collapsible legs, allowing it to be set up or removed quickly.
2. any high-pressure salesperson, as one at a concession at a fair or carnival.
3. a person who delivers a message on radio or television, as for a product, cause, etc
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen

Nope, told you that I watched his products being debunked on a news program.
Perhaps you won't get your panties in a bunch if I refer to the deceased as a pitchman.

much better! panties unbunching as we speak!
Lurker
0 likes
Of course they are.
Lurker
0 likes
Jesus Christ, people, the guy was a carnival hawker on TV. Snake oil salesman. What he did was, ultimately, irrelevant.

As to the gullibility of Americans, I think that this thread is pretty demonstrative of how little real substance it takes to become an icon in American "culture". God, it's almost painful to type those two words together.

Whether or not he was a good person, who the fuck cares? You didn't fucking know him... what does it matter if he is dead? And if you did know him, is a chat room the BEST place to mourn?

Getting uptight because Chef said he was a con-man is lame... kudos to you, Chef, for speaking your mind instead of toeing the PC line. I feel like "Kudos to you, Chef" should be a South Park episode.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks for all that bs Durrasch....oh and for your input too!
Lurker
0 likes
I feel like "Kudos to you, Chef" should be a South Park episode.

LOL. I used to love South Park.
Tom Cruise in the closet was one of my favorites. Ummkay?
Mr Nobody
0 likes
Billy was a good Floridian ...
Lurker
0 likes
LOL@Db. You getting all the "late breaking news" on your tv to? What killed him, and the other guy crying for him? Seems like every 15 minutes it was happening.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by fystee
Thanks for all that bs Durrasch....oh and for your input too!

You're welcome. Always happy to tell you exactly what I really think. Too bad there isn't a little more of that in the world, don't you think?