How To Get What You Want In A Relationship

last reply
20 replies
2.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Just some stuff I got from the internet.

If you aren’t feeling fully satisfied in your relationship there’s a lot you can do to ensure that you’re getting what you want and need from your partner. This doesn’t include dropping hints and playing games, but taking a more open and honest approach. Here’s how to get what you really want from your relationship:

Ask straight up. Your partner is not a mind reader; so don’t expect them to just know what you want from them. If you want more affection or better communication, just tell them straight up without making them guess.

Give examples. Don’t just say that you want them to be more romantic, but give examples of what that means to you. They’ll have a better idea of what specifically you want and they’ll know right away what they need to do.

Demonstrate. If you want them to do something like communicate with you more throughout the day, then lead by example and do the same yourself.

Tell them how it makes you feel. If you tell them how it makes you feel to not be getting what you want, it will show them the reasons why they need to make the effort. They may not be talking about their feelings more or whatever it may be, because they don’t know how important it is. If they know that you feel sad or hurt, they’ll be more likely to make changes, because they don’t want you to feel that way.

Show gratitude. When they do start making changes and giving you what you’ve asked for, make sure to show your appreciation. Let them know that you appreciate that they are making an effort.

Give them something. Treat this like a trade. If they do something that you want, you should reciprocate by doing something that they want. If they start talking about their feelings more, you could show more affection, or do something that’s important to them.

Reinforce. Confirm that they are doing the right things by giving them positive reinforcement. Tell them how much it means to you that they are making an effort to make you happy. They won’t keep up any changes if you don’t show positive reinforcement that they’re getting it right

Use an ultimatum as a last resort. Only if you are feeling really dissatisfied in your relationship and have tried communicating your needs in the ways listed above, should you use an ultimatum. Tell them that if they can’t or won’t give you what you need in the relationship then you’ll be forced to leave. This is a powerful move, and you have to be prepared to actually follow through with it if you want them to take you seriously, so make sure that you use it only as a last resort, not as a starting point.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Make it a 2 way street--to get what you want might mean some compromise
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i find that threats work too.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Troublemaker
0 likes
Wine and chocolate
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I saw the topic and my response was, "Duh, just ask," only to see that was the first thing listed! Good sensible advice, moongirl. Thanks for posting it!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Interesting... If only it were that easy. People change. Some things are not up for discussion with the person they have become.
Candyland Kitten
0 likes
And, if you've tried everything and it still isn't working it could be that the person you are with is simply not your person. Know when to cut ties and move on to find a relationship that has a future.
0 likes
Hmm.

My mother always said that marriage was a business deal, a "two way street", to paraphrase the OP. A man gives a woman (or another man) a ring, and she (he) gives him the rest of her life. The point being, you'd better be damn sure of the terms of the contract before signing on the dotted line.

I believe that you get what you want in a relationship (marriage or otherwise) by laying out clear expectations for each party, and each party understands that should he/she not follow the expectations, the relationship--the business deal--is no longer binding.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Wild at Heart
0 likes
In any type of relationship you have to make sure the other person knows that you're a finisher. That you're always willing to bet more than they will, and win. You need to make them feel something inbetween fear and respect. Then, the world is yours.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
In any type of relationship you have to make sure the other person knows that you're a finisher. That you're always willing to bet more than they will, and win. You need to make them feel something inbetween fear and respect. Then, the world is yours.

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen.

Edited because I had one job and failed.
"A dirty book is rarely dusty"
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

So, always be closing?
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

So, always be closing?

Never seen it.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by PrincessC

Treat 'me mean, keep 'em keen.

Yes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

Yes

I see what you mean, I wrote it wrong. Brilliant job.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by PrincessC

I see what you mean, I wrote it wrong. Brilliant job.

When you're as pretty as you, even when you're wrong you're right.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

When you're as pretty as you, even when you're wrong you're right.

I'm still not going on top tonight.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by PrincessC

I'm still not going on top tonight.

That's so fucking lazy!
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
i think you always need to keep in mind that people don't show love in the same ways. you could be thinking he/she's not making any attempts, while she/he thinks you're blind. it comes down to letting people know what it is you need and expect. this should be an open ongoing conversation.

Say. Her. Name.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by rwinston
Interesting... If only it were that easy. People change. Some things are not up for discussion with the person they have become.

Yeap. If it were that easy. People change. OR. Will never change.

Good thread though. smile
Troublemaker
0 likes
chocolate martinis (an aberration in my opinion but hey, go with what works)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by littleduchess
And, if you've tried everything and it still isn't working it could be that the person you are with is simply not your person. Know when to cut ties and move on to find a relationship that has a future.

I do see your point. A little depressing after 18 years but it is what it is.