Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Why is it called the missionary position?

last reply
11 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Honest - no joke - does anyone know? Jokes as responses are, of course, encouraged.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It stems from the old days, when missionaries went out to turn "poor ignorant natives" into "good Christians". Part of their message was, that sex was only for reproduction, not for pleasure, and that the only acceptable position for a good Christian was with the man on top of the woman, facing her. Hence the name missionary position.

Oops, forgot it was ask the girls.. sorry
A little kindness can be so valuable, yet costs almost nothing

In many countries being gay is a crime, and even in modern societies, politicians try to legalise discrimination. Your voice can make a difference. Have a look at All Out to find out how.

Hey... pssst.... that's an l (as in luscious) at the end of my name, not an i
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by patokl
It stems from the old days, when missionaries went out to turn "poor ignorant natives" into "good Christians". Part of their message was, that sex was only for reproduction, not for pleasure, and that the only acceptable position for a good Christian was with the man on top of the woman, facing her. Hence the name missionary position.

Oops, forgot it was ask the girls.. sorry

That would have been my guess as well, but the sex ed book that my Mother gave me, long ago, talked about a man and woman laying on their side facing each other, with insertion and insemination occurring that way. I don't think I have ever had sex, laying on my side, facing a male partner.
Lurker
0 likes
I don't know where it originates from but I did find this joke...

A Catholic priest was about to leave his mission in the jungles where he has spent years teaching the natives when he realizes that the one thing he never taught them was how to speak English. So he takes the chief for a walk in the forest. He points to a tree and says to the chief, "This is a tree."The chief looks at the tree and grunts, "Tree."The priest was pleased with the response. They walk a little farther and He points to a rock and says, "This is a rock."Hearing this, the chief looks and grunts, "Rock."The priest really getting enthusiastic about the results when he hears a rustling in the bushes. As he peeks over the top, he sees a couple of natives in the midst of heavy sexual activity. The priest is really flustered and quickly says, "Riding a bike."The chief looks at the couple briefly, pulls out his blowgun and kills them.The priest goes ballistic and yells at the chief that he has spent years teaching the tribe how to be civilized and kind to each other, so how could he kill these people in cold blood that way?The chief replied, "My bike."
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Apparently, the usage started with the Kinsey Report, but basically originated the way patokl suggests.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Here is a joke I know about positions.

Q: Why don't Baptists have sex standing up?
A: Because people might think that they are dancing.
Forum Kan-Guru
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
Apparently, the usage started with the Kinsey Report, but basically originated the way patokl suggests.

Apparently, it was at least partly down to a misunderstanding on the part of Kinsey, who thought that some native tribes referred to it as "missionary position" when they most likely didn't. Still, I think I prefer the name to "English-American position".

I read it on Wikipedia, so it must be true...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Kimasa
I don't know where it originates from but I did find this joke...

A Catholic priest was about to leave his mission in the jungles where he has spent years teaching the natives when he realizes that the one thing he never taught them was how to speak English. So he takes the chief for a walk in the forest. He points to a tree and says to the chief, "This is a tree."The chief looks at the tree and grunts, "Tree."The priest was pleased with the response. They walk a little farther and He points to a rock and says, "This is a rock."Hearing this, the chief looks and grunts, "Rock."The priest really getting enthusiastic about the results when he hears a rustling in the bushes. As he peeks over the top, he sees a couple of natives in the midst of heavy sexual activity. The priest is really flustered and quickly says, "Riding a bike."The chief looks at the couple briefly, pulls out his blowgun and kills them.The priest goes ballistic and yells at the chief that he has spent years teaching the tribe how to be civilized and kind to each other, so how could he kill these people in cold blood that way?The chief replied, "My bike."[/quote

Very good!]
Lurker
0 likes
-adjective: missionary
1. relating to or characteristic of a missionary or a religious mission.-
People have referred to sex and baby making as a Godly act. Maybe that was a basic position and was used often and believed to be the best for getting pregnant? Just an idea. I don't know anything for sure lol
Chuckanator
0 likes
It could be that when that position was used by missionaries in the field she cried out, "Oh Mary mother of Jesus!" So the natives heard this they dubbed it missionary position. I've had a few of those religious experiences myself.
Lurker
0 likes
Thank the Jesuits and other missionaries for teaching natives the proper way!!
Υπηρέτης της Αφροδίτης
0 likes
I believe it derives from South Sea Islanders, who upon being converted were promptly fucked this way, by those earnest men of the cloth.
In the world's harsh wear and tear many a very sincere attachment is slowly obliterated.

Είμαι ταξιδιώτης τόσο στο χρόνο όσο και στο διάστημα
Lurker
0 likes
I wouldn't be surprised if no one really knows the origin of the phrase. Still fun to talk about, though.