Login

controlling the "backlink"

last reply
3 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
A fairly specific question, so please bear with me.

When you post a story, you get the option of linking to another story in your library.

If I'm posting a stand-alone, I often link to whatever story I'm happiest with or most hope people will check out.

In the case of series, it's also nice, because you can go back to chapter 1, and make sure that it "points" to chapter 2. And at that point, chapter 2 will have that "backlink" to chapter 1, the one labeled "read again" versus the forward link "continue reading."

Is there any way to control the backlink if you have multiple stories pointing to the same story?

That is, stories 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, all point forward to story X.

If you're at story X, is there a way to control which story from the 1-5 pool the "read again" link will point to? or is it random?

thanks!
Lurker
0 likes
Bump? Please?
0 likes
I suspect this will require an answer from Gav since he's the most intimately familiar with how the systems work. I do see what you're getting at. It is something that I've never really run into since I only use linking for related stories (ie. chapters, sequels, etc.). Neat idea to use it that way though. Do you choose the story you link to from a standalone just based on preference or do you try to keep a thematic link (e.g. linking a gay story to another gay story or whatever)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
I suspect this will require an answer from Gav since he's the most intimately familiar with how the systems work. I do see what you're getting at. It is something that I've never really run into since I only use linking for related stories (ie. chapters, sequels, etc.). Neat idea to use it that way though. Do you choose the story you link to from a standalone just based on preference or do you try to keep a thematic link (e.g. linking a gay story to another gay story or whatever)

It depends. Originally it was an attempt to draw attention to a particular story I hoped would go legendary. Once it did, I changed all the standalone links to point to a different story I hoped people might check out, one I was particularly proud of.

More recently it has been somewhat more thematic, at least with newer things. Runaway points to Price of Admission, because I felt there was a sort of bleak feel to both, even if the categories and plots were different.