Big tick on my 'bucket list'

last reply
34 replies
3.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
I did it! My debut novel has been published

It's taken three years and three complete re-writes, but I've finally been signed by Fireborn Publishing who have just released my novel, The Devil on Her Shoulder, via their website and Amazon. To say I'm thrilled is an understatement.

Before I post the links (US and UK), I must say thank you to JWren who edited all three versions of my manuscript and polished my work so beautifully. He's a superstar. Also, a huge thank you to everyone here at Lush - this is my 'writing home' and a supportive, fun place to learn and grow. Cheers folks

https://www.amazon.com/Devil-Her-Shoulder-Mags-Hayward-ebook/dp/B01NBYXODQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485624960&sr=8-1&keywords=The+devil+on+her+shoulder

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devil-Her-Shoulder-Mags-Hayward-ebook/dp/B01NBYXODQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485628366&sr=8-2&keywords=the+devil+on+her+shoulder

0 likes
omg huge congratulations! i dream of this kind of thing! keep us posted on the success!
0 likes
I am so happy for you! That's such a tremendous accomplishment. I'll go and have a look.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Congratulations! I wish you ever success. I know the thrill of having your first book published.
0 likes
Quote by JefferyB

I know the thrill of having your first book published.

Thank you, folks and Jeffery, that's what it's about. I'm not expecting to become the next EL James, it's just lovely to have something out there.

Got to write something else now, though... my Amazon page is looking a bit sparse
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
No one deserves this more than you. You have my heartfelt congratulations and support. What can I say? I became a fan from the first story I read. I hope you sell a billion.
Normal Adjacent
0 likes
Congratulations! That is so exciting. I have always been a fan of your writing. I think I know what book I am downloading next for my Kindle.

I am truly in awe and maybe slightly envious, but in a good way. Writers like you make me strive to be a better one myself. Again congratulations on such a wonderful achievement.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Congratulations Mags. That is a wonderful accomplishment. Sell a million and write many more.
0 likes
Shit. How did miss this thread earlier? Congratulations, both on getting the novel out and on the 5 star reviews on Amazon.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
That is SO frikkin cool. Congrats on getting published AND on the great reviews. I will read it. I may also email you to pick your brain some day in the near future. smile
Lurker
0 likes
I am so happy for you. You are an awesome writer and even more fantastic friend. I like your book is even in more places. I know people will love it as we love your stories.

Btw, your new storie is soooooo great. As always love it.

Wish you more success and more blessings.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by Saucymh

It's taken three years and three complete re-writes, but I've finally been signed by Fireborn Publishing who have just released my novel, The Devil on Her Shoulder, via their website and Amazon. To say I'm thrilled is an understatement.

Before I post the links (US and UK), I must say thank you to JWren who edited all three versions of my manuscript and polished my work so beautifully. He's a superstar. Also, a huge thank you to everyone here at Lush - this is my 'writing home' and a supportive, fun place to learn and grow. Cheers folks

So how are sales going? Did you need an agent to get accepted by Fireborn, or did you send them the manuscript cold?

And, what are the three biggest pieces of advice you would give to someone flirting with the idea of publishing erotica?

I am apologizing preemptively for the thousands of questions I am about to pester you with. smile
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

So how are sales going? Did you need an agent to get accepted by Fireborn, or did you send them the manuscript cold?

And, what are the three biggest pieces of advice you would give to someone flirting with the idea of publishing erotica?

I am apologizing preemptively for the thousands of questions I am about to pester you with. smile

1. Okay, the big question - sales. It's early days. The market is flooded with erotica and having only one book out there isn't helping my sales figures. My Amazon page looks rather sad That, however, will be corrected in time - I hope.

2. No, I don't have an agent. I researched publishing houses until I found one with a submissions call-out for the exact genre I'd written. I got a reply from them within a week and my story got through the initial selection process. It was then rejected. The manuscript, however, was referred on to Fireborn who accepted it.

3. Advice? I'm not sure I'm experienced enough to give any I will say, there are pros and cons to finding a publisher versus self-publishing. My book was edited for me (again, twice - I had three editors in total), the cover was supplied and all the formatting sorted out with no cost to me. I also get a small amount of assistance with marketing. I don't, however, have any control over sales, pricing, freebie give-aways etc. I might self-publish next time to see what difference it makes.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
I think I've congratulated you everywhere but here.
You rock chick!! You did an excellent job. I'll have to check you out on Goodreads.

?
? A True Story ?
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by Saucymh

1. Okay, the big question - sales. It's early days. The market is flooded with erotica and having only one book out there isn't helping my sales figures. My Amazon page looks rather sad That, however, will be corrected in time - I hope.

2. No, I don't have an agent. I researched publishing houses until I found one with a submissions call-out for the exact genre I'd written. I got a reply from them within a week and my story got through the initial selection process. It was then rejected. The manuscript, however, was referred on to Fireborn who accepted it.

3. Advice? I'm not sure I'm experienced enough to give any I will say, there are pros and cons to finding a publisher versus self-publishing. My book was edited for me (again, twice - I had three editors in total), the cover was supplied and all the formatting sorted out with no cost to me. I also get a small amount of assistance with marketing. I don't, however, have any control over sales, pricing, freebie give-aways etc. I might self-publish next time to see what difference it makes.

What did you use as your resource for researching publishing houses?

And are you doing anything to promote it?

Are my questions annoying you yet smile? I'd PM you, but I think a lot of people would be interested in your answers. Plus, it kinda helps promote your book!
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

Are my questions annoying you yet smile!

No way! Bring it on

Research. The internet. Where else? I looked up publishers who deal with erotica and checked for submission calls. I also checked out the erotica writers I follow on Twitter to see who published their work. Again, that was followed up by visits to websites to check submission calls.

Publicity is a learning curve for me. I advertise on Twitter, Facebook and here, of course. I've also set up a website and joined Goodreads. I'm trying to find time to be more active on both. Time, however - or lack of it - is a problem. Like most people on Lush, I have a day job which has to take priority. Maybe one day that'll change...
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl
I think I've congratulated you everywhere but here.
You rock chick!! You did an excellent job. I'll have to check you out on Goodreads.

?

Yes you have, and you've re-tweeted my endless barrage of ads on Twitter. Thank you
Nerdzilla
0 likes
Just finished reading and loved it. Sarah is such a relatable character, I felt like I was tagging along with a girlfriend for a raunchy vacation! Well done, Mags!
0 likes
Quote by Delphi
Just finished reading and loved it. Sarah is such a relatable character, I felt like I was tagging along with a girlfriend for a raunchy vacation! Well done, Mags!

Oh wow! Thank you so much

I have both Fire At Dawn and Roll The Die on my recently installed Kindle ap. I've started reading Fire at Dawn and just got past the bit that you've posted on here. So good. Expect a review soon xx

EDIT - reviews posted on Amazon and Goodreads. I loved both books
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Saucymh

https://www.amazon.com/Devil-Her-Shoulder-Mags-Hayward-ebook/dp/B01NBYXODQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485624960&sr=8-1&keywords=The+devil+on+her+shoulder

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devil-Her-Shoulder-Mags-Hayward-ebook/dp/B01NBYXODQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485628366&sr=8-2&keywords=the+devil+on+her+shoulder

OMG Mags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is so DAMN cool!

I'm sure many of us have thought about doing this, but YOU DID IT!!!

Now, how do I read this without a Kindle. Damn it. I'm so far behind with technology.
I just got rid of my pica typewriter.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!