Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Does gel nail polish increase the risk of skin cancer in the long run?

last reply
2 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Actually not the polish itself but drying it using the special lamp? Read it somewhere, dont know if the article was scientifically accurate?
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Theoretically, yes. UV and LED lamps both emit UVA light/radiation (4 x stronger than the natural sun). It's higher intensity for a shorter amount of time to cure the polish.

It can cause premature ageing and potentially skin cancer in the same way that tanning salons and outdoor-tanning-by-sun can cause the same.

You can help limit this by putting SPF-50 plus sunscreen on the hands prior to this (though you'll have to work with your manicurist to ensure it isn't washed off during the manicure) or she can help put it on for you without it touching your nails. I've heard of some places that use fingerless gloves.

Personally, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it if you're not doing it on the regular, and assuming you aren't super sensitive to UV light/sun. But yeah... technically, the theoretical risk is there. I don't use them.

There are several 'gel-style' polish lines that don't require the lamps that are pretty good and give similar effect/durability. Not exactly the same, but comparable.
Lurker
0 likes
Thanks. I will remember all this smile