International Women's Day - 8 March

last reply
28 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
I'm just drawing attention to this important campaign.

IWD 2017 campaign theme: #BeBoldForChange

For International Women's Day 2017, we're asking you to #BeBoldForChange.

Call on the masses or call on yourself to help forge a better working world - a more gender inclusive world.

International Women's Day as a vehicle for change, is it possible?

Last year, organizations and individuals around the world supported the #PledgeForParity campaign and committed to help women and girls achieve their ambitions; challenge conscious and unconscious bias; call for gender-balanced leadership; value women and men's contributions equally; and create inclusive flexible cultures. From awareness raising to concrete action, organizations rallied their people to pledge support to help forge gender parity on International Women’s Day (IWD) and beyond.

But the World Economic Forum predicts the gender gap won't close entirely until 2186. This is too long to wait. Around the world, IWD can be an important catalyst and vehicle for driving greater change for women and moving closer to gender parity.

Full details.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Thanks for this, Nicola.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
We can start with this...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
In Austin, one of the local lesbian-owned bars downtown is hosting a women's market, where women artists and crafts people can sell their wares, all in one place. I will be there, putting my money where my mouth is. Wait a minute, maybe I should rephrase that.
Primus Omnium
0 likes
This day and my mother are inextricably linked. She passed away in 2005 on International Women's Day. I can therefore remember her and remember the struggle of women for equality at the same time.
Υπηρέτης της Αφροδίτης
0 likes
Go shopping ;) <br><br>
In the world's harsh wear and tear many a very sincere attachment is slowly obliterated.

Είμαι ταξιδιώτης τόσο στο χρόνο όσο και στο διάστημα
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

0 likes
Go for it you girls, I'm right behind you. I'm all for gender equality.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by sprite
Thanks for this, Nicola.

You're welcome!

Primus Omnium
0 likes
Cheers for International Women's day. Thanks for letting us remember, Nicola. Thanks for Marching for women.
#DayWithoutWomen #InternationalWomensDay
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
"A wise woman wishes to be no-one's enemy; A wise woman refuses to be anyone's victim." Maya Angelou. Happy International Women's Day.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by 69Kisses96
In Austin, one of the local lesbian-owned bars downtown is hosting a women's market, where women artists and crafts people can sell their wares, all in one place. I will be there, putting my money where my mouth is. Wait a minute, maybe I should rephrase that.

We will very likely be having IWD events like Austin up here in MA, in at least Northampton (Smith's College)*, I am sure in many places in and around Boston, and in Provincetown, there is a large LGBTQ artistic and
thriving beach-going community. I can't say women here are fully liberated because not all the men are liberated, as the two are intertwined. But many men I know here accept LGBTQ as standard.

*If any of you lesbians want to see or visit a place where lesbianism is openly practiced, yes OPENLY, look up Northampton Massachusetts.
Smith College is there too:
https://www.smith.edu/about-smith

It is a women's college.

Many of us in MA are proud of the fact that our state was the first to legalize Gay marriage, and not long after, same sex marriage.

So progress is being made in some places, though I know I will go to my grave frustrated with how "little" [compared to what I want to see!] progress has been made.
0 likes

Happy International Women's day!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dancewithme
"A wise woman wishes to be no-one's enemy; A wise woman refuses to be anyone's victim." Maya Angelou. Happy International Women's Day.

I really hope that people read this through before thinking I'm putting a downer on IWD or anything personal against you dancewithme. It is not my intention.

I adore Maya Angelou yet I have problems with this quote. Nobody consents to being a victim. Female or male, 'wise' or unwise.

In my opinion, women can be their own worst enemies accepting 'their place in society' which is socially ingrained in many. Top that with OTHER women who tut, talk about you behind your back ('ooo she works, obviously didn't want to look after XYZ.. Look at her, just like a slut' etc) making other women question their aspirations. A twisted form of social control that many of my friends in real life adhere to, limiting their dreams.

I'll get of my soap box for now... (sorry if I've offended/bored the life out of anyone?)
Change has got to come from within the individual- grass roots! I get paid a pittance but so do the men I work with. This is about so much more. Equality starts in the mind.

Happy international Women's day all. ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

Happy International Women's day!

There are times when I want to kiss you Burquette when you say wise things or do something that touches my heart. I deeply apologize for saying that to you. Then why did I? Because you put a picture of a woman I was deeply in love with as a kid because in my eyes, she was gorgeous! If one looks at this picture one little bunch of pixels at a time, you will see how truly beautiful she was. Then when you add in her immense talents, the way she sang and danced what was in her heart, it is not hard to figure out why I still feel that way, and MISS HER!!!!!
I wish everyone could see her as I do, and all of the other billions of women who are viewed the same way by no one. Not even themselves.
A woman, even when she is tough, like our Divine Ms. Sprite telling us men she can kick our asses [she is gorgeous too!], deserve to be so viewed IMHO if all she does, in a world that tells her she is NOTHING over and over, is be the best person [first rate] she can be!!!!!

TO WOMEN!!!!!!
0 likes
Quote by Dancewithme

There are times when I want to kiss you Burquette when you say wise things or do something that touches my heart. I deeply apologize for saying that to you. Then why did I? Because you put a picture of a woman I was deeply in love with as a kid because in my eyes, she was gorgeous! If one looks at this picture one little bunch of pixels at a time, you will see how truly beautiful she was. Then when you add in her immense talents, the way she sang and danced what was in her heart, it is not hard to figure out why I still feel that way, and MISS HER!!!!!
I wish everyone could see her as I do, and all of the other billions of women who are viewed the same way by no one. Not even themselves.
A woman, even when she is tough, like our Divine Ms. Sprite telling us men she can kick our asses [she is gorgeous too!], deserve to be so viewed IMHO if all she does, in a world that tells her she is NOTHING over and over, is be the best person [first rate] she can be!!!!!

TO WOMEN!!!!!!

Gimme some love, You.

(Psst. Check out the Youtube on my profile. I think it's the best duet I've ever heard. Our divine Judy with a very young Barbra Streisand)
Troublemaker
0 likes

"Fearless Girl" Set up by a major asset managing firm in NYC to draw attention to lack of women on corporate boards...remind you of anyone?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

Gimme some love, You.

(Psst. Check out the Youtube on my profile. I think it's the best duet I've ever heard. Our divine Judy with a very young Barbra Streisand)

I will give you all the love you want!!

Yes, Judy was Divine, and Barbara sang some beautiful songs with her amazing voice. I will go listen to your duet!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LYFBUZ

"Fearless Girl" Set up by a major asset managing firm in NYC to draw attention to lack of women on corporate boards...remind you of anyone?

Our own Ms. Sprite.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

Gimme some love, You.

It was beautiful Ms. B! Thank you!!
It is kind of hard to over-bill the divine Miss Judy!

Some love for You? If You will accept it...

I was feeling brave today. lol

I was not trying to be solicitous there but sincere trying to repay a sweetheart of a lady for being so good to me. Thank you Miss B!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

How can anyone be afraid of this lady with a book. She is so pretty. If she is intelligent, what fool wouldn't want an educated (in the true sense)
woman???
I mean, from the messed up state of the world, us men obviously can't handle all the challenges life presents us with. It might be said, the human race is lost and in deep trouble.
I think women being allowed to pitch in might just help us get it right?!

By the way, for those concerned, Malala MNousafzai is the young lady the Taliban in Pakistan shot for standing up for the rights of women to be educated. She survived and this is one of her books.

Now that is brave!
Lurker
0 likes
this is the annual day when all virgins should give their virginity to a man
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by experienceavailable
this is the annual day when all virgins should give their virginity to a man

male and female virgins (the female ones then can tell him get back to work or he's fired).