15 replies
2.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hi
IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN/WILL HELP ME EDIT MY STORIES
I have about half a million, well, I have a few anyway!
Site administrator
0 likes
If I may. Proofreading is one thing but why do they need editing?. Have you done all you can to spell check the stories and run them through thesaurus?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hi, thanks for replying,
My punctuation skills are almost non existent.
0 likes
I'm afraid i'd be unwilling to punctuate a whole story for somebody else. Try your best to do it yourself. There are a lot of guides onlne to assist you. When you think you've done all you can, I'll look over it for you. However you must try! You cannot expect someone else to turn a block of unpunctuated text into a story for you. Punctuation is really not hard. Just google 'how to punctuate a story'.
0 likes
Also, I notice your forum posts are pretty well punctuated!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thank you for replying, I've gone over one particular story three times and submitted it three times, it has still been rejected,
I really don't know what else to do with it other than just give up!
As for punctuation not being hard, well probably not, but I'm seventy now and very likely I'm loathe to learn new tricks.
I'd be really grateful were you to look over the story for me, but if not, I'm grateful anyway for your interest.
0 likes
I can't say I'll be fast but PM it over. Be prepared to wait a week for a reply!
0 likes
Quote by kiera

This was nice of you. I like seeing things like this on here. smile

Hiya

well, i thought 'how bad can it be?'

then i received the PM!

lol, joking! it's actually almost there. he still has to wait a week though.

hey, kiera. you're awesome.
Gentleman Stranger
0 likes
Quote by browncoffee
I'm afraid i'd be unwilling to punctuate a whole story for somebody else. Try your best to do it yourself. There are a lot of guides onlne to assist you. When you think you've done all you can, I'll look over it for you. However you must try! You cannot expect someone else to turn a block of unpunctuated text into a story for you. Punctuation is really not hard. Just google 'how to punctuate a story'.

This made me think of story I read awhile back, although I can't find it now. Apparently Mark Twain had running battles with his editors and proofreaders about punctuation, among other things. They vexed him constantly by changing, adding to, or otherwise "improving" his punctuation of his work, which he was insistent be published with his own punctuation intact.

Apparently, at one point he became so frustrated by it that he sent them his entire article with zero punctuation, and then filled a page with periods, commas, semi-colons, question marks, apostrophes, etc and included it separately, along with a note (which I paraphrase): "Here's is all of the punctuation about which you are forever complaining; put it wherever you want it."

Don't know if that's a true story or not, but it sounds like something he'd do.
0 likes
Quote by Stormdog

This made me think of story I read awhile back, although I can't find it now. Apparently Mark Twain had running battles with his editors and proofreaders about punctuation, among other things. They vexed him constantly by changing, adding to, or otherwise "improving" his punctuation of his work, which he was insistent be published with his own punctuation intact.

Apparently, at one point he became so frustrated by it that he sent them his entire article with zero punctuation, and then filled a page with periods, commas, semi-colons, question marks, apostrophes, etc and included it separately, along with a note (which I paraphrase): "Here's is all of the punctuation about which you are forever complaining; put it wherever you want it."

that's a fun story! i do hope it's true!
Empress of the Moon
0 likes
Quote by Stormdog

You're right.

Here is a letter he sent
Quote by Samuel L. Clemens

Fred J. Hall, 1889:

You are perfectly right. The proofreader must follow my punctuation absolutely. I will not allow even the slightest departure from it.
[url]http://[/url]
Lurker
0 likes
Dear John:
I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart. I can forever be happy—will you let me be yours?

Harriet

Dear John:
I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no feelings whatsoever. When we're apart, I can forever be happy. Will you let me be?

Yours,

Harriet
Empress of the Moon
0 likes
Quote by oceanrunner
Dear John:
I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart. I can forever be happy—will you let me be yours?

Harriet

Dear John:
I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no feelings whatsoever. When we're apart, I can forever be happy. Will you let me be?

Yours,

Harriet

Excellent example of the necessity of correct punctuation. Both examples are punctuated correctly, but the meaning is different. Twain used punctuation to make his work flow on the page, so that it would read like he wanted it to sound if read aloud. His objection wasn't to having his punctuation corrected so much as having some of his punctuation eliminated. He wasn't a punctuation modernist. He didn't believe that less punctuation made the story read better. He also wrote a lot in dialect, and his punctuation was meant to make dialogue read like the rhythms of speech.
[url]http://[/url]
Lurker
0 likes
I have a problem with punctuations, because of my navigation.