I need some parental advice - terrible two's

last reply
25 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My 2.5 year old daughter is driving me insane.

Who has some advice regarding the dreaded terrible 2's stage?

We have tantrums, screaming her head off if she doesn't get precisely what she wants etc. I have to leave the room when it goes on, when I was a kid my mother used to belt us for making such a din, and I don't want to go down that route, I know how I turned out.

Lurker
0 likes
No need to hit - it does nothing but teach that violence is an appropriate response. Be calm and consistent with discipline. It's about about them learning and testing boundries and if you move them and/or lose your cool they will win. Trust me - hubby and I learned the hard way!
0 likes
The best advice I can give is make sure you win each battle and remember you can't reason with a two year old. Whenever my kids threw a tantrum, they got no attention from me - no eye contact, talking, anger, cajoling etc. I'd stay close by to make sure they didn't hurt themselves, but that was it. On the surface, all they saw was the picture of calm. On the inside I was going nuts! The tantrums didn't last long, though.
Mr Nobody
0 likes
Do not piss about with alll the mumbo jumbo advice
Just put your phaser on stun
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DBarclay
Do not piss about with alll the mumbo jumbo advice
Just put your phaser on stun

That explains the mark on your butt.
Lurker
0 likes
any one of these #s will save your life and the kids.

There's others out there to help you as well. Give it a call. Trust me.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Lisa
The best advice I can give is make sure you win each battle and remember you can't reason with a two year old. Whenever my kids threw a tantrum, they got no attention from me - no eye contact, talking, anger, cajoling etc. I'd stay close by to make sure they didn't hurt themselves, but that was it. On the surface, all they saw was the picture of calm. On the inside I was going nuts! The tantrums didn't last long, though.

What she said. The worst thing you can do, seriously, is to give them what they want. OK, well that's one of the two worst things. The other would be to whack your kid... not cool, man... but you seem like a smart enough guy to realise that.

They need to see that howling does not get them a response. It shouldn't take them long to move on and try a different tactic, provided that they consistently get no response from anybody.
Lurker
0 likes
You could also threaten to make them live with DBarclay. That should scare them.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by ali2teaseu
You could also threaten to make them live with DBarclay. That should scare them.

On the bright side, they would know how to write in correct English, under penalty of a good thrashing.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by lexylove
Quote by ali2teaseu

On the bright side, they would know how to write in correct English, under penalty of a good thrashing.

Excellent point!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I get to look forward to all this?
Oh. Joy.
I'm just terrified I'll be like my mother and father. How my brother and I survived without being locked up is beyond me.
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by private4mylover
I feel for you, we all know what it is like , thought this link might give you a bit of a laugh though!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxXIhM9nd2o:hello1:

That's hilarious.

I think the thing to do mrplow is to count to 10, and not display any reaction whatsoever. A friend of mine has 3 screaming brats, and I can't stay at her place for longer than an hour or so at a time.

Best of luck!
Lurker
0 likes
Great video! Despite my sage wisdom above, I once threw my own temper trantrum to mock my daughter and show her how rediculous she looked. She got scared and started crying. I am not expecting any parenting awards.
Mr Nobody
0 likes
Quote by ali2teaseu

You may mock me ..but I had to provide armed protection to 5 kids under 6
for a week a few years back, they were learning respect and good behavior from day one ...

To this day they remember that week ... with fond memories
Lurker
0 likes
We tried the spanking thing with our two kids, and was frustrated, too. Then my sister-in-law said to send him to the corner for a specified period. "It'll never work!" Well, it worked beautifully! The kid thought he was in prison. Try that.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by lexylove
Quote by ali2teaseu

LMAO
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DBarclay
Quote by ali2teaseu

for a week a few years back, they were learning respect and good behavior from day one ...

I heard about that. Here was there reaction:

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by ali2teaseu
Quote by DBarclay
Quote by ali2teaseu

I heard about that. Here was there reaction:

Lol Good one Ali!
Lurker
0 likes
ok here is your answer praise the good behaviour and ignore the bad ok.
do lot's of activities with her play catch or football
get out with her as much as possible
ignore ignore ignore the bad and praise her say to her when she's playing nicely say to her daddy reaaly likes it when...... you fill in whatever she is doing.
bend down and talk to her on her level don't shout just explain.
you don't need to tell off kids if you just explain what it is that bugs you about them.
half the time when there naughty its us parents that have been to busy so every now and then take a rain check and see how much time you've spent telling them that there being really good today.
hope this helps you, you'll get there and find you own way of coping
have some fun now , let her see that your a fun dad that listens and reads stories at bedtime stuff like that. getb to know her more
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by HoneyBee000
ok here is your answer... do lot's of activities with her... say to her nicely say to her daddy reaaly likes it when...... she's playing... naughty... at bedtime

All your words. It's fun to mess around with what other people say smile
Lurker
0 likes
ha ha rofl i see what words you are playing around with i should have known somebody would have picked up on the daughter and daddy naughty bedtime them hhaa your a bad man Durrasch haha
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I learned from watching my neice, who is now 4 1/2, that when she throws a temper tantrum she isnt upset cause she didnt her way, she does it to test my patience, I would sit her on the couch in the family room turn off the TV and tell her that she had to stay there, and she could scream / cry / whatever for as long as she wanted. I put in earplugs or earphones and did other things in the nearby area. Tantrums that used to be hours long are now just a few minutes at the most. Dont know that it works for all kids.
Apple
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by mrplow

We have tantrums, screaming her head off if she doesn't get precisely what she wants etc. I have to leave the room when it goes on, when I was a kid my mother used to belt us for making such a din, and I don't want to go down that route, I know how I turned out.

I think you did the right thing by walking out of the room when shes having her tantrum. When she is done with her rant go to her and talk to her calmly. You can't give into her or else she will think she can get whatever she wants whenever she wants it. Also if she disobeys you send her to a time out. Don't send her to her room send her to the corner of the room, the stairs, your bedroom. If you send her to her room she'll jsut play with her toys or something. good luck
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
LOL at Ali's pic.

Thanks for all the good feedback.

I would never hit the little one, even though the urge has come over me a few times, it's hard to break the chain of parental behaviour that was forced upon me, but I'm doing my best.

She's too young for a time out corner, she just wouldn't understand the reason behind it yet, but I can see that being used in future.

The ignoring trick seems to work, she gives up the yelling pretty fast with that one
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by mrplow

when my kids threw a tantrum, I fell on the floor & threw one along with them. they would be so shocked they would stop their tantrum.